Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Thank you very much Have a nice day
Thanks and same to you!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
This is why I thought this thread would have fared better in the Genealogy forum.
I've seen these kinds of threads in the Genealogy forum and, believe it or not, some posters there blasted the OPS for it as being inappropriate. I thought that was wrong of them, myself.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Hello everyone

I would like to know what ethnicity (or ethnicities, this person can be mixed) you think this person is and/or in what country this person would fit. Sorry for the bad quality

Thank you
Take DNA test and you will know. Tell your friend to do it also...

Old 10-15-2014, 05:15 AM

167 posts, read 409,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Take DNA test and you will know. Tell your friend to do it also...
That's what I told him I think he'll do it soon but he wanted to know before he took the dna test

Thank you

Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Like I already said, this person's ethnicity is not very clear. But some people guessed right : This person has distant italian and french, very distant greek and probably a tiny fraction of hungarian.

I started this thread because this person has never known his full ancestry composition and want to know what other people think

Thank you for you answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
This is why I thought this thread would have fared better in the Genealogy forum.
The thread is being moved to Genealogy.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I've seen these kinds of threads in the Genealogy forum and, believe it or not, some posters there blasted the OPS for it as being inappropriate. I thought that was wrong of them, myself.
I think it's more likely we are just aware that regardless of what forum it's posted in, it's typically impossible to tell the exact ancestry of a white person by appearance alone. As proven by the greatly varying responses and suggestions, it doesn't matter what hair or eye color you have or what shapes your features take, you could be Norwegian, Italian, British/Irish, German, Hungarian, Russian - the list is endless, especially when you consider most Americans are a mix of ethnicities.

Asking this question is like trying to guess the exact age of an adult - you could maybe get somewhere in the ballpark but guessing it right on the nose would just be a lucky guess. And there are some people who don't look anywhere near their age. Appearance isn't always a good indicator, especially when you base it on stereotypes like Scandinavians have light hair and eyes while Italians have dark hair and eyes. Actually, many northern Italians have light hair and eyes. I know someone who is 100% Italian and has naturally blonde hair and blue eyes. Some people may fit the stereotypes but many do not.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Closed. There is no perfect forum for these guessing my ethnicity games. I usually send them to World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy