Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

On the Ca. death index on Family Search, are the locations given as the county where the death occurred?
Anyone aware of libraries in these areas than can assist with a few obituaries?
Humboldt, Los Angeles, San Diego.

Also we were told that if you die in Los Angeles you are not required whatsoever to have probate records and/or report an inventory of the assets, unless you just want to file probate papers.
We have never encountered a locality whereby there was no legal documents to pass property from the deceased to the beneficiaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Which collection? There's two CA Death Indices on FS. If you click on "learn more" it will give you more info on the collection.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...rical_Records)
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...rical_Records)

Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The 1940-1997. We'll check to see if "learn more" requires membership.
Los Angeles and San Diego are cities as well as counties.
Humboldt not so.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The 1940-1997. We'll check to see if "learn more" requires membership.
It doesn't require membership, it's just a wiki. There wouldn't be much sense in providing all their records without a membership but not their wiki. Even if it did require membership, FamilySearch.org is free.

Quote:
Los Angeles and San Diego are cities as well as counties.
Humboldt not so.
I would assume the locations are consistent - if the locations are reported as Humboldt on one record and that is only a county, the locations on another record as San Diego are probably also the county, not the city.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Obituaries are what we need and they may be difficult in those large counties.
The cities where they passed away is very sketchy if not unknown. The libraries out there have high research fees so without a volunteer the efforts may be curtailed.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:46 AM

738 posts, read 999,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Obituaries are what we need and they may be difficult in those large counties.
The cities where they passed away is very sketchy if not unknown. The libraries out there have high research fees so without a volunteer the efforts may be curtailed.
I had someone in the LA area search for an obit for my g-grandfather who was listed in that index and he came up empty so it's really kind of a crapshoot.

Because you are looking at smaller locations, you might want to try the local county genealogical/historical society. They may be able to help you.

As far as research fees go, yes, they can vary widely. I just got an email back from an historical society in a relatively large Wisconsin city that charges $20/hr. with a 3 hour minimum. I was only asking them for their fees to locate one obit where I have a name and date of death so spending $60 seemed excessive. Thankfully, the researcher got back to me immediately to clarify that locating an obit would cost $20 and that the 3 hour minimum was for 'needle-in-a-haystack' research.

Still...spending $20 for this particular obit may or may not be worth it when I compare that fee to spending $5 for the exact same service in a smaller town in another state. And that's assuming that the person will actually be able to locate the obit. Like I said: it's a crapshoot. Sometimes you just have to ask yourself how much it's worth it to get your hands on that obit.

RVcook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy