Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:42 AM

167 posts, read 409,381 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I just ordered a 23andme test and a question came into my mind : is the genetic continent prediction on 23andme completely accurate ? For example, if someone is 100% european in his results, is his ADN really from that continent ?

Thank you for your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Yes

Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Haha thank you that's good to know that at least the continental ancestry composition is 100% accurate

Thank you

Old 11-25-2014, 01:34 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Haha thank you that's good to know that at least the continental ancestry composition is 100% accurate

Thank you
Uh, no. This is one reason why 23andme will provide slightly different estimates: conservative, standard and speculative. None of these are completely accurate. For that matter, the results from a Geno 2.0 kit, a Family Tree DNA kit and the 23andMe kit usually differ.

BTW, I doubt that any of the companies will give a 100% probability that a tester's ancestry is limited to one continent. Simple statistics would rule that out.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Uh, no. This is one reason why 23andme will provide slightly different estimates: conservative, standard and speculative. None of these are completely accurate. For that matter, the results from a Geno 2.0 kit, a Family Tree DNA kit and the 23andMe kit usually differ.

BTW, I doubt that any of the companies will give a 100% probability that a tester's ancestry is limited to one continent. Simple statistics would rule that out.
So DNA can't even determine from what continent someone's DNA came from ?

Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I just have to ask this. How does the DNA test help doing genealogy or family history research? If it shows that you have a Native American, Polish, and Spanish in your DNA, what do you do with that information that enhances your research.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:

Thank you
Youre welcome

Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I just have to ask this. How does the DNA test help doing genealogy or family history research? If it shows that you have a Native American, Polish, and Spanish in your DNA, what do you do with that information that enhances your research.
DNA use for genealogy goes beyond looking for deep ancestry. It actually compares individuals, and individuals who share segments of DNA then look at their family trees and try to figure out who their common ancestors are. The more DNA you share, the closer the relationship is. The genealogy researchers still have to do the same search for ancestors using traditional tools like census records and wills and other court records.

For example, I have two people that I match at 23AndMe who are known first cousins once removed. With one, I share 19 snippets of DNA comprising 6.52% of the DNA sites tested by 23AndMe for the two of us. For the other, I share 17 segments and 5.63%. All three of us are related through our fathers.

Every genealogist has family lines for which we get to a point that there is an individual for whom we cannot identify parents and siblings. We call those brick walls. If descendants of one of the siblings show up as DNA matches to the person with missing info, they may know who the parents are. It's sort of a lottery, because you have to hope that someone from one of those lines is interested in DNA and is willing to share his family history.

Adoptees have been known to find parents, siblings, and half siblings through DNA testing at genealogy sites.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
So DNA can't even determine from what continent someone's DNA came from ?
It really depends on your ancestry, the company's sample groups and how they are interpreting the DNA. I have Italian ancestry and with some companies, some of my Italian DNA turns up Middle Eastern with trace amounts in North Africa and Asia. It doesn't mean I have recent Asian or African ancestry - in fact, since only trace amounts show up there it's possible I don't have any Asian or African DNA at all and it's just statistical noise. Each individual's results should be assessed individually for what information you can accurately extract from them.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
The real benefit of DNA testing for genealogy is in the cousin matches, not the ethnicity results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy