Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM

67 posts, read 92,354 times

Advertisements

About 3 years ago, on one side of my family we had the DNA test done -- sample taken from my Mother's male cousin. This was done as part of research being done into that family name, through a university.

We just paid for basic results, and learned we are in haplogroup R1b1a2, which is very interesting.

I'd like to know whether we would have to get another sample in order to have testing done that would be more in-depth, or whether facilities retain samples to run further tests on if a family wants more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM

37,020 posts, read 41,066,329 times
Are you interested in genealogy or just deep ancestry?

Since you tested with a university you would probably get more information by testing with one of the genealogy groups. Many are having sales for Christmas.

Family Tree DNA is $89.

https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

You could test with 23AndMe ($99) and/or Ancestry.com ($99) and transfer the results to Family Tree DNA.

https://store.23andme.com/en-us/cart...FTFp7AodPykAUg

DNA Tests for Ethnicity & Genealogical DNA testing at AncestryDNA

The transfer to Family Tree DNA is "free", but to unlock all the matches currently costs $39 unless you can recruit others to transfer, too. I am not sure how long that price will last, so you would need to get a sample in to the other company you choose soon.

What you did before was probably Y DNA. I am not sure if that would transfer to Family Tree DNA or not.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 17,793,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailin View Post
About 3 years ago, on one side of my family we had the DNA test done -- sample taken from my Mother's male cousin. This was done as part of research being done into that family name, through a university.

We just paid for basic results, and learned we are in haplogroup R1b1a2, which is very interesting.

I'd like to know whether we would have to get another sample in order to have testing done that would be more in-depth, or whether facilities retain samples to run further tests on if a family wants more information.
Without knowing anything about the university and the program they ran, we can't really say. You'd have to check with whoever ran the program at the university to see if they had anymore in depth results they could give you. They likely didn't keep the sample, but even if they did they probably can't give the sample to any other company to run more tests on. They might be able to give you the raw data of their results, which can be uploaded to other companies for more analysis. But I have no idea how the program worked or what they can give you, especially since it's not your DNA but a somewhat distant cousin - the cousin would likely need to give you permission to obtain his DNA raw data.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,359,112 times
i went pretty deep, and it cost money, before you go deeper, check the forum with your last name and see what markers they was positive for, no since spending money if no last name of yours has hit on those marker. if a certain marker is common, you can skip a lot of test and save money

and no, they can use the original sample, just since money, I used my original sample seven times

i would recommend the 111 marker test, just because its not your sample put another male, the 111 would give you almost all the info you ever need

Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 AM

The last name is reasonably common, but our particular branch of the family only has our family and 2 others that show a common ancestor within last 8 generations. There is some confusion about "where" our emigrant ancestor came from. Some sources indicate he came from Germany and the other 2 families are following that line of thought. However, my Mother recalls her Grandfather as having indicated his background was Irish, and the incidence of the R1b1a2 haplogroup is quite high in Ireland and Scotland, while not referencing Germany as of much if any note. I'd like to check it out further if possible.

The male relative who provided the DNA sample has since passed away. I'll check with the university to find out if they have preserved the sample such that it would be available for further testing if the tests are paid for -- I just wondered if this was a common practice (preserving samples) or not.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:30 AM

30,550 posts, read 18,042,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Are you interested in genealogy or just deep ancestry?

Since you tested with a university you would probably get more information by testing with one of the genealogy groups. Many are having sales for Christmas.

Family Tree DNA is $89.

https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

You could test with 23AndMe ($99) and/or Ancestry.com ($99) and transfer the results to Family Tree DNA.

https://store.23andme.com/en-us/cart...FTFp7AodPykAUg

DNA Tests for Ethnicity & Genealogical DNA testing at AncestryDNA

The transfer to Family Tree DNA is "free", but to unlock all the matches currently costs $39 unless you can recruit others to transfer, too. I am not sure how long that price will last, so you would need to get a sample in to the other company you choose soon.

What you did before was probably Y DNA. I am not sure if that would transfer to Family Tree DNA or not.
Great list of resources. I'd only add that, if anyone is considering Ancestry.com, don't buy at their standard $99.99 price. Ancestry regularly has $79.99 deals on its DNA kit and has flash sales for less than that fairly frequently also (I just bought a kit for $69.99 with free shipping, and Ancestry sometimes has a $49.99 sale as well, although this one is really rare).

Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM

4,971 posts, read 7,343,032 times
If your mother's male cousin was tested, that does not apply to you. That represents his Y chromosome, which I assume is different from yours (if you are male). Your Y haplogroup would be that of your father, and his father, etc. If you are female, then you don't have a Y haplogroup.

"R1b1a2" is a very broad category and its the most common haplogroup in Western Europe and the US. So IMO it is not "very interesting." I also fall into that category.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM

738 posts, read 995,884 times
When my DH had his tested with FTDNA back in 2002, he originally went for the 12 marker test (yeah...it was a long time ago lol!) After a while, when he wanted to expand his markers, he just paid to have his test upgraded to the 62 marker test and he did not have to submit a new sample. I'm not sure how other companies do business for situations like this.

RVcook

Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If your mother's male cousin was tested, that does not apply to you. That represents his Y chromosome, which I assume is different from yours (if you are male). Your Y haplogroup would be that of your father, and his father, etc. If you are female, then you don't have a Y haplogroup.

"R1b1a2" is a very broad category and its the most common haplogroup in Western Europe and the US. So IMO it is not "very interesting." I also fall into that category.

This was done in context of tracing my Mom's ancestry on her paternal side -- we know her ancestry on her Mother's side. Also, we know my Father's ancestry already, going pretty far back on both his paternal and maternal sides. What we know of this highly suggests that R1b1a2 would also be the paternal haplogroup there. Sure, it's a broad category and common, but I still find it interesting to see where it has come from over time.

Since we inherit genes from both parents, even though the paternal line haplogroup wouldn't be "my" haplogroup, still there is genetic inheritance in me from that line, right?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,359,112 times
i am a rab1a2a1a1a8, and yes its from scotland, but before scotland there was viking attacks and other invaders like the qual, anglo saxon, even romans. Some of these are from germany which as a crow fly is not far from scotland. so your tree could be from germany passing through scotland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy