Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 PM

167 posts, read 409,381 times

Advertisements

There is no trace of any south asian/romani marker in my grandmother whatever tool I use. I checked my paper trail but my great-great grandmother was abandoned so there's no trace of her father. The only way to know is through my great-grandaunt's results, they should arrive soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 AM

No trace of south asian DNA in the results. I think this proves that you should never trust a family story.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
No trace of south asian DNA in the results. I think this proves that you should never trust a family story.
DNA can prove a connection but it cannot reliably exclude one. We do not have DNA from all of our ancestors. If the person is several generations back, there may be none at all from that individual. Also, there must be comparison DNA in the testing company's data base. If they have nothing to compare you with they will not find the connection.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DNA can prove a connection but it cannot reliably exclude one. We do not have DNA from all of our ancestors. If the person is several generations back, there may be none at all from that individual. Also, there must be comparison DNA in the testing company's data base. If they have nothing to compare you with they will not find the connection.
Given that this is my great-grandaunt's results and that I'm looking for his grandfather who was said to be roma, I would expect something to show up. But since there is no trace of south asian or even middle eastern/eastern european DNA, I think it's pretty fair to assume his grandfather wasn't roma

Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Very true.

I'll caveat that it can exclude very specific connections... such as a full blooded Native American grandmother if you come up with no sizable Native American blood. Of course that could mean the person's grandmother might be only 1/4th or 1/8th Native American and it's entirely possible you might not inherit any of their NA segments... but there are some cases DNA can disprove.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Very true.

I'll caveat that it can exclude very specific connections... such as a full blooded Native American grandmother if you come up with no sizable Native American blood. Of course that could mean the person's grandmother might be only 1/4th or 1/8th Native American and it's entirely possible you might not inherit any of their NA segments... but there are some cases DNA can disprove.
Well that's exactly my case except I'm not looking for a native american grandmother but for a romani grandfather

Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
My wife and I just did the ancestry.com test. We were both surprised that no native American DNA showed up- especially since I have a picture and family stories of my great great grandmother who was Cherokee.

Did a little reading and in the fine print Ancestry.com explains that after six or seven generations, the genetic markers they look for may or may not show up. So I my case this doesn't mean that I DON'T have Cherokee blood; it simply means that the markers they look for aren't there. IOW inconclusive.

But via the results I did learn that I'm 2% African... which isn't a huge surprise having grown up in the South.

Also they picked up a trace (less than 1%) of Polynesian/Pacific Islander. I have no idea where that came from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy