Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 AM

167 posts, read 409,158 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and happy new year

I spent a lot of time making my family tree lately. All my know ancestors are swiss (mostly from Bern, Vaud and Valais).
I took a 23andme DNA test and they first told me that I am 100% european.
But after phasing with my mother, It tells me I have 0.2% north african DNA (results below)
Even more surpising, this north african DNA comes from BOTH of my parents !
I really have no idea where it came from. Can you help me ?

Thank you very much for your answers
Attached Thumbnails
North african DNA/ancestry in central european ?-1.png   North african DNA/ancestry in central european ?-2.png   North african DNA/ancestry in central european ?-3.png   North african DNA/ancestry in central european ?-4.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 AM

215 posts, read 389,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Hello everyone and happy new year

I spent a lot of time making my family tree lately. All my know ancestors are swiss (mostly from Bern, Vaud and Valais).
I took a 23andme DNA test and they first told me that I am 100% european.
But after phasing with my mother, It tells me I have 0.2% north african DNA (results below)
Even more surpising, this north african DNA comes from BOTH of my parents !
I really have no idea where it came from. Can you help me ?

Thank you very much for your answers
0.2% does not sound like any recent (in the last 3-500years) true North African ancestry.

there can be 2 things

A) you have that results due to Neolithic settlers in Europe who came from Mesopotamia and sometimes North Africa and who brought farming into Europe.

they settled heaviest in Southern Europe in places like Italy, Spain and Greece so if you came from Switzerland, next to Italy, that can explain it.

But they also settled throughout Europe in general, so it could just be that.

B) it could be due to some, rare and remote, subtle or ancient shared ancestry some North Africans with older European populations meaning they have your DNA on a very small level but you don't neccesarily have theirs.

0.2% , that's actually normal results for most typical NW Europeans
so is your whole genetic chart.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
0.2% does not sound like any recent (in the last 3-500years) true North African ancestry.

there can be 2 things

A) you have that results due to Neolithic settlers in Europe who came from Mesopotamia and sometimes North Africa and who brought farming into Europe.

they settled heaviest in Southern Europe in places like Italy, Spain and Greece so if you came from Switzerland, next to Italy, that can explain it.

But they also settled throughout Europe in general, so it could just be that.

B) it could be due to some, rare and remote, subtle or ancient shared ancestry some North Africans with older European populations meaning they have your DNA on a very small level but you don't neccesarily have theirs.

0.2% , that's actually normal results for most typical NW Europeans
so is your whole genetic chart.
Ok. Thank you very much for your answer it's really interesting

Old 01-01-2015, 01:21 PM

215 posts, read 389,886 times
Quote:
Ok. Thank you very much for your answer it's really interesting
I don't know how much you know about genetics and the studies they have had for Europeans and their descendants that last few years but this website can give you a basic overview of the genetic history in regions of Europe and even has charts and examples of what the different genetic-DNA types mean that are found in modern European populations.

www.eupedia.com

just look on the genetic section on that site and it can tell you a lot more, I think.
especially if you look at the history of the Y-DNA types and overview of stone age/bronze age history of Europe.

and if you talk to other people at 23 and me or other users there it can help too

Old 01-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Thank you very much

Old 01-01-2015, 04:16 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
9% of my ancestry is from the Iberian Peninsula and 1% from North Africa. I figured that one 1% is explained by the fact that the Moors were in Spain at one point.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
9% of my ancestry is from the Iberian Peninsula and 1% from North Africa. I figured that one 1% is explained by the fact that the Moors were in Spain at one point.
That would be the best explanation if I had spanish ancestry

Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
It's probably just noise, I too have 0.1% North African with 23andMe. It doesn't mean anything, Trace amounts, especially under 1%, can generally be ignored.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM

My mother has less north african DNA than me in 23andme (speculative) but more in the gedmatch dodecad calculators... I don't know what to think

Old 01-02-2015, 03:33 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
My mother has less north african DNA than me in 23andme (speculative) but more in the gedmatch dodecad calculators... I don't know what to think
If they are still trace amounts at Gedmatch, it probably doesn't mean anything. It's like a false positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy