Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know. Would you feel the same when the OP went to her father to ask for a sample? And, ultimately, I don't view it as a lie; the OP would be trying to find out more about the family history, specifically whether there's any relationship. If it turns out that the OP's father isn't related to her, then she would have actually likely uncovered a lie.
It's still deceptive and people have the right to know what their DNA is being used for. Yes, it's possible people are lying to her but you know the old saying two wrongs don't make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know. Would you feel the same when the OP went to her father to ask for a sample? And, ultimately, I don't view it as a lie; the OP would be trying to find out more about the family history, specifically whether there's any relationship. If it turns out that the OP's father isn't related to her, then she would have actually likely uncovered a lie.
Agreed, I don't think it's a lie. If you ask them for DNA looking for DNA relatives then you are being completely honest, just not being very specific that you'll also compare it to yourself, not an uncommon things when doing DNA ancestry tests, I compared my parents DNA to my own *shrug*.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
Why does the OP want to know if her dad doesn't want to share his DNA to let her find out? If the man you have always called "dad" has raised you well, why go behind his back? Who does the actual DNA testing for 23andme? Does that agency tell customers who does it? if a person is trying to find ancestry, I can tell you there will be more than one bloodline change. I could tell you how Ancestry.com, the LDS and additional sites have historically operated with surnames and family trees but I won't, hope you find that info yourself.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Agreed, I don't think it's a lie. If you ask them for DNA looking for DNA relatives then you are being completely honest, just not being very specific that you'll also compare it to yourself, not an uncommon things when doing DNA ancestry tests, I compared my parents DNA to my own *shrug*.
Right!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Yeah, you're just leaving out the very important part about doing it to determine if your father is really your biological father or not. There's nothing deceptive about leaving that part out at all....

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Either the blood types are incorrect or at least one of your parents is not your biological parent. But I suspect you already know that.

It's more likely that your brother will consent to the testing than one of your father's relatives. I'd try the brother first and if the results are still ambiguous, I'd go for one of your father's relatives and/or your mother.

But until you have an answer, you should also keep in mind that sometimes people really don't know their correct blood type.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yeah, you're just leaving out the very important part about doing it to determine if your father is really your biological father or not. There's nothing deceptive about leaving that part out at all....
Well isn't that implied in finding your dna relatives? Obviously this whole situation is a very big gray area but to me it's somewhat like saying your going to go buy a car and not mentioning you had a specific model of car in mind... the entire point of a DNA test is to match relatives hence that includes the possibility of matching it to your own DNA an obviously suspected relative. In fairness finding out if your father is your biological father isn't just about you and your father, it's about discovering your deeper dna cousins. If they do match and you confirm they are your biological father then you will also learn about deeper dna matches as well... if not you'll find dna matches to the person who raised you which you may find interesting as well.

Sure it's not being 100% straightforward but that's life and people have a right to their own intentions and don't always have to disclose all of them.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Why does the OP want to know if her dad doesn't want to share his DNA to let her find out? If the man you have always called "dad" has raised you well, why go behind his back? Who does the actual DNA testing for 23andme? Does that agency tell customers who does it? if a person is trying to find ancestry, I can tell you there will be more than one bloodline change. I could tell you how Ancestry.com, the LDS and additional sites have historically operated with surnames and family trees but I won't, hope you find that info yourself.
Well in fairness if they aren't your biological father and they won't tell you then they've gone behind your back your entire life. You may still love them and respect them as the father who raised you but I have little sympathy someone going behind their back if that person did it to them on the flip side of that equation their entire life.

Plus knowing your correct DNA bloodline makes DNA testing for ancestry a whole lot more useful.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:14 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
All these years I have been unsure if I was adopted of if my father is not really my father. I am blonde with blue eyes and fair skinned. My mother has an olive complextion, brown hair and brown eyes, like both my brothers. My father is blue eyes and blonde hair but nobody thinks I look like him. I have B+ blood, my Father has A+ and my mother has O+. I did the 23andme kit. My Father refused to take it. If I had my brother take the test would I get some answers that way?
If your brother does the test and it shows that he has a different paternal haplogroup, that would be a tell tale sign that he's your half brother and that your father may be someone else.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:26 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The OP is not lying if he says he's researching his DNA history or the family's DNA history. If whomever listens to him and doesn't asks for specifics then that should be that. If he does asks for more details, then the OP should be specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy