Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 AM

752 posts, read 1,494,161 times

Advertisements

Anyone here familiar with using the Maine State Archives? (That is in person or even online).
I have looked at their website a few times this week and it seems like it leaves a lot to be desired with their seemingly limited databases and digital collections of scanned/indexed records. I emailed them recently for a second time as well, to ask about if they had anything, preferably microfiled records for Penobscot County and I never received a reply (two weeks now, second time I have done this in six months).
Has anyone gone there in person? What was their experience with them? (ie helpfulness, organization, range of records and resources available).
I also emailed the Penobscot county Historical Society twice with the essentially the same question I put forth to the State Archive and also never received any reply. Frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Have you checked out FamilySearch.org's info on Maine State Archives? https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...State_Archives - they provide some info on what collections they have and other places you can find them too.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Have you checked out FamilySearch.org's info on Maine State Archives? https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...State_Archives - they provide some info on what collections they have and other places you can find them too.
Well, Yes I have checked them out (I use familysearch often), though I had emailed the archives wanting some more specific information than whats provided on familysearch, etc. (I asked them if they had records, either microfilmed or otherwise, for a number of specific towns, some of which are no longer incorporated, among other things).

Basically, several of the things I was in search of are not available on familysearch or its unclear if the archives have the records in question (specifically old county divorce records from certain dates, old vital records before the Civil war, etc.) I never received any response to either email --- I was specific but just to the point with my email, nothing rambling or convoluted at all, so I really would like to know other people's experiences of actually going there in person---is they organized well? Helpful staff?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Volunteer type positions might have limited winter hours. It is Maine.

According to Google, the county probate records in Bangor, Maine are being digitized. I believe if you request your ancestors', they will grab and scan for you. Other than that I would suggest public libraries in each town you are researching people in.

Try genweb site for counties & state records. Most old sites are still maintained.

I did online research successfully in Maine for one family branch. Post your query, if you'd like anyone here to help.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Volunteer type positions might have limited winter hours. It is Maine.

According to Google, the county probate records in Bangor, Maine are being digitized. I believe if you request your ancestors', they will grab and scan for you. Other than that I would suggest public libraries in each town you are researching people in.

Try genweb site for counties & state records. Most old sites are still maintained.

I did online research successfully in Maine for one family branch. Post your query, if you'd like anyone here to help.
Yes, very true I guess...several of the libraries I know are on volunteer basis, with gaps of time where positions go unfilled.
Unfortunately the counties I am largely needing (ie Penobscot, Cumberland) do not have very much on their GenWeb or Rootsweb sites--several of the links are dead and it appears as though neither receive regular maintenance or updates in years, hence the need to search the state archives.
Penobscot county has a genealogical society page, but it has virtually nothing of use research wise other than old contact information (which I found to not be active).
I did contact the Penobscot County courthouse and received no response either time I requested what records they had (ie range of years for divorces and probate records, old vital records of pre-1860, etc.). In my years of research I have never come upon so many no-replys...Its been very frustrating!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
I find that calling works much better than emailing for initial contact.

Museums & libraries tend to have someone who will research their archives & copy for a nominal fee.

The random acts of genealogical kindness has been brought back--
Maine - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy