U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

My Great Grandfather left my pregnant Great Grandmother & remarried. With his new wife he had more children. Now on Ancestry I did a DNA test and I keep getting all these connections from people I don't know. Presumably a number of them, who also appear somehow related to one another, are some of the Great Grandchildren of my Great Grandfather. How would his other Great Grandchildren relate to me?

First cousins? Second cousins? This removed, that removed?

Anybody have a clue how to sort this mess?

PLUS: There are so many of them that I am of the opinion he left a few more families behind as well.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 AM

19,188 posts, read 8,978,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnjguy View Post
My Great Grandfather left my pregnant Great Grandmother & remarried. With his new wife he had more children. Now on Ancestry I did a DNA test and I keep getting all these connections from people I don't know. Presumably a number of them, who also appear somehow related to one another, are some of the Great Grandchildren of my Great Grandfather. How would his other Great Grandchildren relate to me?

PLUS: There are so many of them that I am of the opinion he left a few more families behind as well.

Thanks for your help!
Whenever I have such a question (I'm really bad with the cousins removed thing), I just add additional names to my family tree that would correspond with that relationship (for instance, I'd add a second wife to my great grandfather, and a child from that relationship, and so on and so forth). Once you've a added enough individuals to answer your question, click on the "new" great grandchild of your great grandfather, and Ancestry explains how they are related to you. Note, you can do this even if you don't know those relatives' names; you are always free to delete the new entries once you've found what you're looking for.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,252,192 times
The simplest part of the "mess" is that the offspring of your Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother (your grandmother? or grandfather?) would have been the half-sibling of your Great Grandfather's children by his second wife. If your Great Grandmother remarried, too, and had children, they would have also been half-siblings of your grandparent.

So, I guess the half-siblings of your grandparent would be your parent's half-aunts and half-uncles. And I guess the children of these half-aunts/half-uncles would be your parent's half-cousins ... if there is such a thing.

I would say just follow the rules of relationship (when determining first, second, third cousins or first cousin once removed, etc.) and just precede each with "half-".

The best way to figure it out is to grab a pen and a piece of paper and draw out a tree which is what I did.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 AM

5,403 posts, read 4,845,735 times
This is a simple way to calc cousins.

Count number of "greats" and add 1.
So if you share a set of great grandparents with others...you are all 1 (great) + 1= 2.... So you're second cousins.

If share set of great great grandparents... then third cousins.

Sharing one greatgrandparent would still result in being a second cousin.

I do not believe the term half uncles, half aunts is used...only term half brothers, sisters..and it's for clarity.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM

5,970 posts, read 9,615,163 times
I have same situation in my family. A "shared" GG-Father. I descend from 2nd wife.

FWIW, my latest Family Tree Maker application (FTM 3 for Mac) shows my relationship, to a same generation descendant of 1st wife, as just "Great-grandson of GG-F Moses XXXXX. Looking 1 generation back, 2 "shared" grandchildren are shown as "Half 1st Cousins"

However, I have an older FTM Ver 7 from 1998 (Win 95) that shows shared great-grandchildren as "Half 2nd Cousins"

Old 04-11-2015, 01:15 PM

5,403 posts, read 4,845,735 times
I didn't know the was a designation of 1/2 cousins...thanks.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,974 times
Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to add the ficticious brood and see what I yield. Great idea!
My FTM stopped working, I think I need an update.

Again, thanks to you all.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 PM

9,384 posts, read 14,712,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnjguy View Post

Thanks for your help!
First off, everyone gets hundreds of DNA matches to people they don't know and have no clue how they are related to. They could something like an 8th cousin from your 7th great grandparents, they are not necessarily from this great grandfather. The further back an ancestor lived, the more descendants they will have and therefore the more of those descendants will have DNA tested. You'll likely have few, if any, matches that are descended from someone recent like a great grandparent so don't jump to conclusions that many of them are.

That said, people who share great grandparents are 2nd cousins and since these would be your half relations (if you only share one most recent common ancestor instead of a pair, you are half relations), they would be your half 2nd cousins. Most likely, they would appear on your DNA match list as a 2nd or 3rd cousin. The DNA relationship calculator is only an estimate based on how much DNA you share but since the matching amounts we inherit aren't always exact, the estimate can be slightly off. But you will likely share less DNA than full 2nd cousins would, so the calculator might think you're more like 3rd cousins. How many estimated 3rd cousins are on your match list? Personally, I have only two estimated 3rd cousins - I have determined one is actually a 2nd cousin once removed, and the other is a 3rd cousin once removed.

A "removed" denotes a generational difference - so if the most recent common ancestors were your great grandparents, but the other person's grandparents, you are once removed. If it's great grandparents and parents, it's twice removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy