Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,919,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Personally, I can say that I do not, and Most Americans do not assign me a Black identity. Black Americans do not assign me a Black identity. I am racially ambiguous, and get asked frequently "where are you from" lol to which I sigh a tragic mulatto sigh, and ask where they think I'm from. I usually get Brazilian, Puerto Rican, or Argentinian(lol people are so ignorant), often Middle Eastern as well. Very rarely I'll get Filipino and Black or Mulatto. Never Mexican idk why maybe because I'm 6'1? Anyway, point is Race is truly in the eye of the beholder

Unfortunately, I am never of the same race as those asking (even though I am, partially), so I'll continue to play my sad tragic tri-racial violin....
43% is rather high not to identify as Afro-Latino. I know your not 100% of a single ancestry but who really is these days? Just don't let people punk you down into hating your Blackness. You got to be strong. Nothing wrong with having African ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 AM

3,805 posts, read 2,169,874 times
Quote:
OP HERE, lol halt the speculation.

Mother is Mexican
O.K. So, to answer the original question: Yes, there are many people of Middle-Eastern/Arab descent in Mexico. Salma Hayek is just one example.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:40 AM

490 posts, read 655,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
43% is rather high not to identify as Afro-Latino. I know your not 100% of a single ancestry but who really is these days? Just don't let people punk you down into hating your Blackness. You got to be strong. Nothing wrong with having African ancestry.
Afro-Latino implies you have african ancestry through a hispanic country. I do not. which is why I do not identify as afro-latino, besides that, afro-anything, imo means a majority african. My father is where I get my afro admixture and he is not Latino in anyway. You can't just combine two completely different ethnicities into another completely different one. It's like calling somebody half Cherokee and half English latino, yes they are of similar racial composition but their ethnicity is not Latino.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 AM

3,805 posts, read 2,169,874 times
Quote:
Personally, I can say that I do not, and Most Americans do not assign me a Black identity. Black Americans do not assign me a Black identity.
I'm one of those persons that wouldn't consider you black. You are part of what I call the "rainbow-swirl generation".

You don't have to be black if you don't want to be. No need for all the explanation. It's not that serious.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I'm one of those persons that wouldn't consider you black. You are part of what I call the "rainbow-swirl generation".

You don't have to be black if you don't want to be. No need for all the explanation. It's not that serious.
I'm really not explaining in order to "defend" my non-blackness, I'm just explaining it because it is somewhat confusing, and I enjoy the criticism/validation of my logic.

+

I can't be black if I wanted to be neither can I not be black if I wanted to be, **** I can't be anything I want to be lol

Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM

4,370 posts, read 7,019,211 times
1 example

Carlos Menem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,919,945 times
Quote:
I'm really not explaining in order to "defend" my non-blackness, I'm just explaining it because it is somewhat confusing, and I enjoy the criticism/validation of my logic.

+

I can't be black if I wanted to be neither can I not be black if I wanted to be, **** I can't be anything I want to be lol
When it comes to race in America, it doesn't really matter what you call yourself but how you will be perceived by society.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,786,602 times
How did this thread go from "did middle Eastern people ever settle in Latin America?" to "let's pick apart and examine the OP's race and ethnicity"? Didn't this forum get rid of the "guess the ethnicity" threads?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
DNA is the new technology used to identify old blood line. I wish I could remember the name of the original DNA research group near Oxford England that discovered what they believe is the "Mother" of the modern humanoid who lived 40000 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa.

At one time or other in my life I lived in Cherokee territory in Oklahoma. In fact the land I owned was once a part of the Cherokee Nation. When I moved to Missouri I lived next to a Navaho man whose parents still lived on the reservation and still spoke limited English. His GF was Cherokee-Irish whose maternal grandmother lived on the reservation in Carolina. She had porcelain skin and freckles and honored her ancestors by keeping and Indian home. He was 6'3" with very dark brown skin and jet black hair that floweddown his back and past his belt; he was a formidable opponent. Mother lived in Las Cruces, NM where Mexican and Indan (both North American born) lived side by side. If you did not know the families it was not easy to distinguish the man called Saldana from the man called Shotpouch. It really is okay to ask an Indian his tribal affiliation.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When it comes to race in America, it doesn't really matter what you call yourself but how you will be perceived by society.
Exactly, Which is why I say I can't choose what I want to be..
Yet racial perception in America varies from person to person so it isn't so black & white (pun intended)

Last edited by IM90046; 04-30-2015 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy