Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 AM

366 posts, read 493,582 times

Advertisements

Gang,

I wanted to know if there is a standard way to determine who physically built a tomb, so I could attempt to work backwards and learn who paid for the construction.

Below is a picture of the tomb. I have searched all over it looking for some marks that would say who constructed it. I am hopeful there is some standard and I simply do not know where to look. It was constructed 1902-1903.

This is/was the only tomb in that cemetery for over 100 years so it was very out of the ordinary in that location.

I thank you for any consideration you give this matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a way to identify who constructed a tomb?-misc-006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I don't know of any standard research into this, although others might. Five ideas come to mind, although I have little hope that any will be successful.

These are in no special order. First, if the land was a cemetery when the tomb was built, you could ask the current cemetery operators if they have any info. After all, the cemetery had to let the builders onto the property. Second, the family likely paid to construct the tomb, either directly to the builders or to the cemetery. You could see if anyone from the family knows. Third, it is early for building permit requirements, but you could check with the local government agency (the city or county). Fourth, you could check local newspapers of the time to see if there is any info on that family's funerals or if there were any advertisements for companies that may have built it. Lastly, you could check with the local genealogical or historical society to see if they are aware of anyone who may have researched cemeteries in the area. They may have run across related info.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:00 PM

366 posts, read 493,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I don't know of any standard research into this, although others might. Five ideas come to mind, although I have little hope that any will be successful....
Thank you for your comments. I have already attempted all of them except:

You could see if anyone from the family knows.

The reason I am going through this exercise is to find the family or who the family was.

After looking at this for over 40 years I am still stymied(maybe 7 seriously). It is like an out of town person died and a monument was erected to them and no one has a clue who they were.

But I have yet to give up As it was penned as in Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare King Edward V: "The game's afoot"/"The game is afoot".

Thanks once again.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Sexton's records for a public cemetery might be archived at the city hall, county courthouse, local library, historical museum, state historical society or his family may posses them. Find out who the cemetery sexton was in those years. Mausoleum was likely the term used.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Can you get into it? The markings might be there. BUT -- the place also might be out of business.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
maybe google tomb builders in your town, talk to people in the area who still do tombstones. they might have some history of who built what at that time

Old 04-28-2015, 01:55 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Maybe you could post here everything that is written/carved on the tomb. What names, dates are there, etc? Then maybe some of us could find info on that family. Also include the name of the cemetery and the city it's in. Some of us love mysteries!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Cemetery records perhaps. Most keep very good records.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Is this a fairly large historical cemetery? Small town... or larger city?

Many historical cemeteries have had their headstones, etc cataloged.

If you get a name, then find a death certificate.

Any old City directories?

We have two plots in a local historic cemetery. One dating from the 1870's........the other 1955. On the memorial for the older.....I found a little bronze nameplate at the bottom while planting flowers. Same name as the marker on the headstone from 1955. And 60 years later, the company is still in business - although they moved location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy