Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:26 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

A member here is going to be translating an email to my uncle in Hungary to ask if he'll consider allowing me to send him a few DNA tests. I'd like to send one from Ancestry 1st since that's where I have my main tree then when it goes on sale again around Christmas I'd like to do one of the male specific tests at FTDNA.

I believe I can register the FTDNA kit to me to have it sent directly to him but I'm unsure of how to work the Ancestry test. I'd like to register it to my tree account which means I'd have to mail to him then have him either mail it back to me or send enough for him to mail drect to Ancestry. I'm not worried about the directions being in English; I'll have the gal type out a translation. I guess my biggest question is does Ancestry have a home base in Hungary or another country? I could have the test mailed to him but what if he doesn't email me the registration number? Then I won't be able to have access to it because its too much to have him make the account then send me an invite.

Has anyone done this? What works best? He's the only one living on my dads side unless his father went on to have more children after my grand parents divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
A lot of people have done it. I would call Ancestry and ask them about what you want to do. According to their website, their test is available in Hungary so you wouldn't need to mail it to him from the US. Whether all the accompanying literature is in Hungarian too I don't know:

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...new-countries/

FTDNA is represented in Europe by iGENEA. So your uncle can test with them. Does your uncle read German? A lot of older Hungarians do. There is a choice of languages at the bottom of this page:

https://www.igenea.com/en/home

Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
I looked into this when we were talking about testing a family member. The answer was that you call Ancestry directly and they will take care of getting the test to the person (probably additional postage charge) and getting it uploaded to a U.S. Ancestry account with you as the administrator.

I'm wondering if the person does the Hungarian test if it would only be updating to the Europe site.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A lot of people have done it. I would call Ancestry and ask them about what you want to do. According to their website, their test is available in Hungary so you wouldn't need to mail it to him from the US. Whether all the accompanying literature is in Hungarian too I don't know:

FTDNA is represented in Europe by iGENEA. So your uncle can test with them. Does your uncle read German? A lot of older Hungarians do. There is a choice of languages at the bottom of this page:

Thanks. Wwill look into it more

Old 06-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I looked into this when we were talking about testing a family member. The answer was that you call Ancestry directly and they will take care of getting the test to the person (probably additional postage charge) and getting it uploaded to a U.S. Ancestry account with you as the administrator.

I'm wondering if the person does the Hungarian test if it would only be updating to the Europe site.
Thanks so much. I knew someone had to have looked into it. From what I read on the link that was left the Hungarian test is more expensive then a US test.

My main cncern is it being linked to my tree. I doubt my uncle would even be interested in looking at his test or matches if he's gonna do one.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

To update this post. I now have a Hungarian neighbor that's been translating for me with a cousin. Been so busy I hadn't had a chance to finish my letter to my uncle. I knew they would be going on sale, so had been trying to work on it.

Mothers day they went on sale $59. I had called Ancestry to see if they were on sale in Hungary too but the sales gal didn't know what she was talking about. She told me I had to use the UK site which I tried, it kept loading the US site. My Hungarian neighbor had sun poisoning so she couldn't translate messages the Saturday they were on sale. On Sunday (the last day) I decided to just order 2 in case my uncle and cousin will do them, then will register them to their profiles in my tree. I figured I can ship it with prepaid return shipping which I haven't looked into.

We're now at the fathers day sale. I'd like to buy a test from FTDNA for my uncle. My neighbor translated my letter the other day, my uncle has not answered yet. I will probably buy the Y-DNA test since it's pretty cheap. Y-37 is on sale for $129 from $169. Easier to send the 2 tests at once. I even have Hungarian directions for Ancestry and FTDNA that I got from a Hungarian DNA FB group. Someone had posted that FTDNA has the most people living in Hungary. Doing his Y-DNA was always a hope of mine; I just hope he says yes. He's already 80 years old.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
She told me I had to use the UK site which I tried, it kept loading the US site.
You have to clear your browser's cookies. After doing so, go to the UK site, and there should be a pop up that comes up asking if you want to stay on the UK site or go to the US site. Click stay on UK site. It should then remember that setting in your cookies and not auto divert to the US site. If you click go to the US site or don't do anything at all, it will eventually direct you to the US site and then remember that setting until you clear your cookies again.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:04 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
I live in Canada. I ordered a DNA kit from the U.S. 23andMe site in 2013. The kit came with an return address label for the U.S. lab plus a customs label in duplicate or triplicate which I had to fill out and place on the front of the package I was mailing back. On the customs label I had to clearly indicate that the package contained a “human specimen” (or similar words - I don’t exactly recall).

I also recall that at the time it was illegal for residents of two different U.S. states to mail their DNA saliva samples to 23andMe.

Please do not ask your relative in Hungary to do something unless you know it is legal in his country.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:47 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I live in Canada. I ordered a DNA kit from the U.S. 23andMe site in 2013. The kit came with an return address label for the U.S. lab plus a customs label in duplicate or triplicate which I had to fill out and place on the front of the package I was mailing back. On the customs label I had to clearly indicate that the package contained a “human specimen” (or similar words - I don’t exactly recall).

I also recall that at the time it was illegal for residents of two different U.S. states to mail their DNA saliva samples to 23andMe.

Please do not ask your relative in Hungary to do something unless you know it is legal in his country.
AncestryDNA ships to Hungary so it shouldn't be a concern.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Thanks guys. Once he answers I'm going to the post office to be sure what needs to be done. If I have to buy a euro test then will do so next time I have the funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy