Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times

Advertisements

I'm having the darnedest time trying to sort out the Hanson/Henson/Hinson men who immigrated from England to the Virginia Colony in the early to mid 1600s.

My goal is to connect William Joseph Hanson (b. 1807 VA; d. 1870 TX; m. Martha Patsy Dunn 1827 Fayette County GA) to the correct VA Hansons/Hensons/Hinsons. All along his father keeps showing up as Jesse Hanson (b. either 24 Jul 1761 Fauquier County VA or 24 Mar 1767 Stafford County VA; d. 7 Mar 1852 Randolph County AL; m. Elizabeth Crawford 1787 Fauquier County VA). BUT the 1798 Direct Tax for Georgia shows that Jesse owned land in Jackson County GA, Wildcat Creek area, and that's before William was born in VA. So, it doesn't make sense to me that Jesse would live in VA and own land in GA nor does it make sense that the family would bounce back and forth between GA and VA.

I'm coming to a conclusion that there were two Jesses, both born in VA, but one in 1761 in Fauquier and the other in 1767 in Stafford (or vice versa on locations), and one of them went to GA and the other stayed in VA. And one of them (the one that went to GA) is the man who married Elizabeth Crawford and died in 1852 in Alabama while the Jesse who stayed in VA married ?? and died ??

I've been to ancestry, archives, familysearch, findagrave, and have done general google searches. But there's so much misinformation put out there by family historians (some with good intentions, but others with no sense of logic) that real information seems impossible to find.

Jesse's father may be Robert Hinson (b. 1728 Stafford County VA; died 26 Apr 1802 Fauquier County VA; m. 1st Mary Peake @1749 Prince William County (which later became Fauquier); m. 2nd? Margaret Peggy Easson Patrick aft. 1802).

Robert's father might be Edmund or Robert or Edmund Robert or Robert Edmund (b. bet 1680 and 1688 in either Charles County MD or Stafford County VA; d. @ 13 Nov 1742 Overwharton Parish, Fauquier; m. either Elizabeth W. Unknown or a Mary Peake).

Edmund/Robert's father was Joseph Hinson (b. bet 1652 and 1655 Charles County MD; d. 22 Mar 1703/4 Stafford County; m. Margaret Elizabeth Hoyle @ 1673 Charles County).

Joseph's father was either a Robert or a George Hinson and this one would have been the immigrant.

Can anyone recommend any books or other resources where I can try to sort this all out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:46 PM

752 posts, read 1,477,964 times
These are two books which might be a good place to start, at least in Fauquier county---Hanson/henson is names in these books time to time. Unfortunately the first one is not readable on Google, but the 'snippit' search indicates the surname is present within the volume---the second line is to a book what is viewable in Google Books.
I always think it is important to know the general history of the place and time you're researching...and of course knowing the background of neighbors and others close to the person/family you're looking at.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9q...ed=0CB0Q6AEwAA

https://books.google.com/books?id=ze...rginia&f=false

This second link goes to a book that is about Fauquier county, VA during the Revolutionary war, so the time period is right on for what you're looking for. I will see what else I can find....misinformation is a very common problem with online sources, especially group sheets and family trees people, often novice/casual 'researchers' have complied, typically by just copying others bad work, spreading it. The best way to get around that is to go right to the original sources and start from scratch. I will see what else I can find that might be of use to you.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
These are two books which might be a good place to start, at least in Fauquier county---Hanson/henson is names in these books time to time. Unfortunately the first one is not readable on Google, but the 'snippit' search indicates the surname is present within the volume---the second line is to a book what is viewable in Google Books.
I always think it is important to know the general history of the place and time you're researching...and of course knowing the background of neighbors and others close to the person/family you're looking at.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9q...ed=0CB0Q6AEwAA

https://books.google.com/books?id=ze...rginia&f=false

This second link goes to a book that is about Fauquier county, VA during the Revolutionary war, so the time period is right on for what you're looking for. I will see what else I can find....misinformation is a very common problem with online sources, especially group sheets and family trees people, often novice/casual 'researchers' have complied, typically by just copying others bad work, spreading it. The best way to get around that is to go right to the original sources and start from scratch. I will see what else I can find that might be of use to you.
Thank you tons!!! And I agree that genealogy work encompasses not only the family history, but also the history of the place and of the time in which they lived. Working on this particular Hanson line I've discovered more about the Virginia Colony and the London Company than I ever learned in school. Such new knowledge begins to explain why families "mysteriously" picked up and left any area leaving behind property and homes and such (escalated conflicts with Indians or border/property disputes that became violent or the reality that the particular land received by grant wasn't tillable or what-have-you).

With uploaded group sheets and family trees one wonders if the "researcher" actually looked at what they have. Some of the silly and illogical data, which others copy and add to their trees, is both laughable and frustrating. It takes no math skills to realize that a child born many years after a father's death to a mother who's in her 80s is obviously not their child. But alas the parent names fit the child and therefore "must" be theirs.

One valuable tool I have been using quite a bit is Wikipedia for states' counties. Although data and info on Wikipedia is not always reliable, it's so, so useful to learn about counties - their origins and locations in the states - to see if an ancestor's event place makes sense. For example, just because a birth occurred in 1728 in Stafford County and a marriage took place in 1750 in Prince William County and a death 10 years later in Fauquier County doesn't mean the ancestor had moved -- Prince William was formed from a part of Stafford in 1731 and Fauquier didn't exist until 1759 when it was formed from part of Prince William. And (with big sigh), Stafford County VA and Strafford County NH are vastly two different places and very far from each other, so born in Stafford and died in Strafford should make a researcher say "oops I've made a big mistake".

Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,193,666 times
Default English Name?

Also Hansen; Hanson

Old 05-02-2015, 10:00 AM

752 posts, read 1,477,964 times
What sites (or other sources) have you been using?
GenWeb, which is organized by county, can be a good place to find stuff....just as an example, Fauquier county has a GenWeb site:
Fauquier County VA Archives

There is a Robert Hinson, Jr. listed who has a War petition on file (from the Revolutionary War) dated 1846:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/fau...ns/rhinson.txt

Petitions like these can be very useful in finding more about a person and/or family. This Robert Hinson, Jr. was born 25 December, 1750 (aged 95 at time of petition).

Rootsweb is similar to GenWeb and also can be helpful:
Fauquier, Virginia, Homepage

Most databases use a soundex to find similiar sounding/spelled names so even if you put in "Hanson" it will typically bring up close, yet not exact, matches for say Hinson, Hensen, Hinsen, etc. etc. Though always make sure the database actually has this capability and that exact match is "off". You might need to manually type in various spellings.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
I know this was an earlier post; but I thought I would add the timeline for Jesse 1761 in hopes it will help someone:

Jesse Hanson - Timeline

1761 - Fauquier County, VA - Brth
1787 - Fauquier County, VA - Married Mary Sullivan
1787 - Fauquier County, VA - Married Elizabeth Crawford
1795 - Migrated to GA
1797 - Jackson County, GA - Birth of son, William (Billy) Hanson
1798 - Jackson County, GA - Owning 50 acres-situated on 'Wild Cat Creek.'
1811 - Morgan County, GA - Residence
1812 - War of 1812; Capt. Simmons Butts Company of Hoggs Reg; GA Militia
1820 - Walton County, GA Census
1827 - Clarke County, GA - GA Land Lottery
1830 - Fayette County, GA Census
1840 - Randolph County, AL Census
1841 - Morgan County, GA - Married Mary Murphy
1850 - Randolph County, AL Census
1852 - Randolph County, AL - Death

Old 06-19-2019, 02:31 PM

YES! Helps me. Jesse is messy in my database. I believe there were two different Jesse Hansons about the same age and living in similar areas, and in family trees I find too many children with birthdates that don't make sense. I am specifically interested in a William son of a Jesse who married Martha "Patsy" Dunn, and they had a son Pinckney.

In my database I have two sons named William born to Jesse, one born in 1797 and another in 1807. Obviously one is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA46 View Post
I know this was an earlier post; but I thought I would add the timeline for Jesse 1761 in hopes it will help someone:

Jesse Hanson - Timeline

1761 - Fauquier County, VA - Brth
1787 - Fauquier County, VA - Married Mary Sullivan
1787 - Fauquier County, VA - Married Elizabeth Crawford
1795 - Migrated to GA
1797 - Jackson County, GA - Birth of son, William (Billy) Hanson
1798 - Jackson County, GA - Owning 50 acres-situated on 'Wild Cat Creek.'
1811 - Morgan County, GA - Residence
1812 - War of 1812; Capt. Simmons Butts Company of Hoggs Reg; GA Militia
1820 - Walton County, GA Census
1827 - Clarke County, GA - GA Land Lottery
1830 - Fayette County, GA Census
1840 - Randolph County, AL Census
1841 - Morgan County, GA - Married Mary Murphy
1850 - Randolph County, AL Census
1852 - Randolph County, AL - Death

Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM

8,391 posts, read 3,469,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
YES! Helps me. Jesse is messy in my database. I believe there were two different Jesse Hansons about the same age and living in similar areas, and in family trees I find too many children with birthdates that don't make sense. I am specifically interested in a William son of a Jesse who married Martha "Patsy" Dunn, and they had a son Pinckney.

In my database I have two sons named William born to Jesse, one born in 1797 and another in 1807. Obviously one is incorrect.

Re bolded.... not always incorrect. Back in the day people quite often re-used a name for a child who had died. So William born 1797 could have died before the 2nd William was born.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Re bolded.... not always incorrect. Back in the day people quite often re-used a name for a child who had died. So William born 1797 could have died before the 2nd William was born.
Yes, quite true. A different tradition than we have today! I have one family who had three Johns. The difficulty with William Hanson, the son (or sons) of Jesse is a lack of documentation and a lot of supposition on the part of family historians. I don't have my database in front of me, so my memory is sketchy, but one of the Williams (the 1797 one or the 1807 one) didn't fit in with birthdates and locations of other children. But thank you for reminding all of us not to discount children with the same names in a family.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM

23,781 posts, read 33,224,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Was gonna say the same thing. There should be a Christening record for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy