Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:46 AM

11 posts, read 11,620 times

Advertisements

Hallo again we made a little progress and we know it was the same Franz .Thanks suzy_q2010 for death certificate of Franz but we have a problem with his father's name. "Karmanie" it is not exist in polish, german or latin. And it is no name close to Karmanie. Kasimire? It is the only one. Maybe it is the place where he was born? Franz and Anastasia had 4 children from Poland and 2 sons in Usa , they are in some family trees on ancestry.com, but I can't see any more informations about Franz. Do you think I can find ANY more informations somewhere? Pass? Workerslist in the car company, Detroit? :/
And I can't find any sign of life of Xavier, one of their sons. He was in census 1900 and 1910. That's all. Did he died for ex. during the 1 ww?
Best, Joanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
name
Franz Lewalski
date arrived
06-02-1890
approx. birth year
occupation
Blacksmith
destination
New York
purpose
Staying in the USA
native country
Russia
embarkation port
Stettin
travel compartment
Steerage
ship name
Polaria

Anastasia Lewalski
3 years Female
Anastasia Lewalski
38 years Female
Antonia Lewalski
6 months Female
Constantia Lewalski
8 years Female
Xawer Lewalski
2 years Male

From record at http://www.russianimmigrants.org/

Last edited by historyfan; 07-30-2015 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: website link

Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 AM

Thanks, I have it. I have also passenger list from their trip (I can't find the picture of Polaria ship....), I know all name of their childrens, childrens-in-law, grandchildrens, dates from censuses. Only Xavier is missing and the name of Franz's father is unknown :/ by the way, I don't understand why they are on "Russian to Usa" list, they both were "German" and were from "german" in 1890.... Joanna

Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM

I found Xavier as Samuel Lewalski born 23 Oct 1886 in Graudnenz, Poland.
This is draft card for WWI. His address is same as Tony Lewalski born 19 Feb 1895 Detroit. Draft card.
Address-107 Danforth St, Hamtramck, Michigan

Older brother Konstantine August Lewalski (went by Gust) also lived in Hamtramck. Draft card Gust Lewalski born 26 July 1881, declarant for us citizenship--citizen of Russia. Machine setter for H . Ford, Ford Motor Co, Detroit.
Younger brother John Theodore lived in Gus's household in 1940 & Social security application listed Frank Lewalski, Anastasia Klosowka as parents.

(Xavier)
Registration card no.3405
Wayne County, Michigan 5 June 1917
Samuel Lewalski
Age 30
107 Danfort Hamtramck, Michigan
Born 23 Oct 1886 Graudnenz, Poland
Citizenship status--Alien
Citizen of Poland
Metal worker for Lester Perien, Detroit
Single, no dependents
Medium height, medium build
Blue eyes, Black hair

Last edited by historyfan; 07-31-2015 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM

Thank you , Historyfan,very, very much! (I got tears in my eyes! ) so many new informations! Maybe they moved to russian part of Poland late 1889/1890, because in March 1889 they lived in german part ....thanks-dziękuję! best, Joanna

Old 08-01-2015, 08:52 AM

Happy to help out.

I wonder if Franz's father had first name Konstantine, as his oldest son did.

The same location could have been under different political rule at time each record was made...that could explain different name in different year. So one person could answer question, "where are you from?" with several different answers and they would all be correct.

I will look for Xavier "Samuel". He may have died in flu epidemic of 1918 or WWI.

I am not certain what information you already have, so I have questions below.

Naturalization to be US citizen-
Did you find naturalization records for any of Lewalski men who were born in Poland? If Franz filed for US citizenship, the entire family would have been in his file. If he died without filing, each male may have filed as he became an adult at 21 years if age. Adult women were usually in their husband's record.

Anastasia's second husband-
Do you have US censuses and the marriage record for Franz's widow Anastasia after she married again? I saw those, do you have/want those?

Marriages of Lewalski family-
Also saw the marriage records for some of Franz & Anastasia's children--do you have or want those?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:35 AM

Well, I don't know the name of the first son of Franz...Anastasia was his second wife, but we didn't find the marriage record with my greatgreatgrandmother (Ottilie, his first wife) yet, I have to order microfilms and if I'll be lucky, maybe I'll get it.For today-from first marriage he had Waleria, Alexander and Max.Was Waleria the first child?-I don't know. But, probably, Max was the last one from first marriage. Konstantin was the first son from the second marriage, which alived, but maybe they had children before, in censuse from 1900 they said they are 25 years together.:/
I didn't find any naturalizations, but maybe I'm not smart to look it for... is it possible to find any pictures in it?

Anastasia's second marriage-yes, I found it; also marriage records of Anastasia's and Franz' s children÷some names of the grandchildren, some death records.... and some family trees on ancestry .
It is very interesting and NEW for us-we thought my ggrandfather was the only son of Franz...And in the last year family "exploded"
Thanks for help best, Joanna

Old 01-24-2021, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 190 times
Default Ottilie Chilinski/Helinski

I am the great granddaughter of Johonne "John" Helinske, born in 1848. I believe he is Ottilie's brother, as my DNA matches the Truszkowski/Thrush family on ancestry.com.

I have been unable to find information on Johonne prior to his immigration, I have surmised that Ottilie died in Germany, but have been unable to verify this fact.

I am interested in any information about Johonne, his possible siblings, and parents. I have sent friend requests to the three posters in this thread and look forward to sharing information!

Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzomary View Post
I am the great granddaughter of Johonne "John" Helinske, born in 1848. I believe he is Ottilie's brother, as my DNA matches the Truszkowski/Thrush family on ancestry.com.

I have been unable to find information on Johonne prior to his immigration, I have surmised that Ottilie died in Germany, but have been unable to verify this fact.

I am interested in any information about Johonne, his possible siblings, and parents. I have sent friend requests to the three posters in this thread and look forward to sharing information!
I sent the OP a direct message, hopefully she comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahavita View Post
Thank you , Historyfan,very, very much! (I got tears in my eyes! ) so many new informations! Maybe they moved to russian part of Poland late 1889/1890, because in March 1889 they lived in german part ....thanks-dziękuję! best, Joanna
I know your thread is old but I have the same thing with my daughter fathers fathers side. They have a very Polish last name, on some records it says Poland and they spoke Polish but on other records it also says Russia. I guess that the part of Poland they lived in became part of Russia after a war.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-25-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy