Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 PM

176 posts, read 323,336 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I got my results from my test and they are as follows:

Northeast Asian - 40%
Southeast Asian - 26%
Mediterranean - 12%
Northern European - 11%
Southwest Asian - 5%
Oceanian - 4%
---------
98%

It also said I share a close regional ancestry to people from Tatar Russia:

This reference population is based on samples collected from the Tatar people of Russia, a Turkic-speaking group that originated in the region of present-day Mongolia and settled on the Volga River in the 7th century. Their genetic results reflect their origin, with 16% Northeast Asian a major component. However, there has been substantial mixing with western Eurasian populations (including Russians) over the years, resulting in the 40% Northern European, 21% Southwest Asian, and 21% Mediterranean components more typical in Europe.

AND

Kinh Vietnam:

This reference population is based on samples collected from the Kinh ethnic group living in Vietnam, the largest ethnic group in the country. The 57% Northeast Asian and 43% Southeast Asian percentages are representative of migrations in East Asia, with the northeast Asian component likely coming from the earliest settlers in eastern Siberia and northern China. The southeast Asian component reflects mixing with groups that originated further south.

I had also found an article that my Haplogroup B4 showed up on this list, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

New Native Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups Extrapolated from Anzick Match Results | DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy

In addition, when I transferred my results from the Nat Geo Genographic project to Family Tree DNA, they showed my maternal haplogroup (B4C1B2A2) matched 4 people China, Indonesia, the Philippines (where my mom was born), and America (Native American Ancestry).

Thank you for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:12 PM

322 posts, read 701,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akio View Post
Hi Everybody,

Northeast Asian - 40%
Southeast Asian - 26%
Mediterranean - 12%
Northern European - 11%
Southwest Asian - 5%
Oceanian - 4%
---------
98%

Where are these results from? You mentioned your mom is from the Philippines but where is your father from, if known? Is he Latin American, US , Canada to suspect Native American ancestry? Depending where you received these results (various Gedmatch calculators??) Native American can be buried into Northeast Asian or what I have bolded. Native American and East Asian are genomically very similar and some admixture tests don't separate it, and some do. Most tests separate Native American even with minor East Asian in the result. Which test is it?

Do you have Native American ancestry or are you assuming the “less” 2% should be Native American? 2% can be anything, especially if it is unassigned to no particular region. Native American can also be noise in people of East/Southeast Asian ancestry due to close genomic affinity. East Asians and Native American have no gradient as for example, Africans and Europeans.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 05-04-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM

They are from The Genographic Project. Definitely not assuming, but more curious because of my high NE Asian results and the theory about the Clovis baby. Somebody shared a copy of his genome with me, and I found it to be very intriguing:

Felix's Thought Logs: Clovis Anzick ethnic makeup in FTDNA myOrigins

What I previously posted about my Haplogroup matching somebody who was Native American, as well as it showing up on the Clovis DNA link, made me wonder even more.

We only know the ethnicities going back to my great grandparents. Maternal side has Filipino and Spanish. Paternal side has Filipino and European. Your guess is as good as mine as to what I have before that, besides what is listed on my Genographic results (which was pretty vague).

Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Native Americans have Asian based halpogroups. MtDNA A,B,C,D with X being the only non-Asian based group. Sub groups specifically defined to Native Americans is; A2, B2, C1,C4, D1,D2,D3,D4h3 and Xa2. YDNA in most Amerindian males is Q.
Your mother is of Southeast Asian ancestry so B4 would seem correct. These are halpogroups and place you in the ballpark. Halpotypes are more specific. Unless a test defines this way it is normally halpotypes.

Your ancestry percentages and halpgroups do not have to coincide. There are people 100% European that have Amerindian halpogroups. They may have had an Native American ancestor over 8 generations ago. Conversely, a Native American can have an African or European halpogroup due to "new world" mixing in the Americas. Your halpogroups is not your recent ancestry.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Thank you for explaining all of that. I actually ordered an 'upgrade' kit at Family Tree DNA yesterday. I'm very curious about the mtDNA B4C1B2A2 matches that showed up on my Haplogroup Origins page from China, Indonesia, and the one Native American person.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Asian ancestry so B4 would seem correct. These are halpogroups and place you in the ballpark. Halpotypes are more specific. Unless a test defines this way it is normally halpotypes.
Sorry I meant normally halpogroups. You are welcome.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM

386 posts, read 361,469 times
Can't help you with your mystery 2%, but living in China and traveling extensively across Asia it's always interesting to see local people with descendants viewed as native with ancestors who clearly emigrated to the Americas from Canada to Tierra del Fuego and far beyond. Instead of potentially being 2% Native American, perhaps that 2% is simply unconfirmed as Asian. Interesting topic, but aren't we all originally descended from people once living in Africa?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM
bu2

23,845 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akio View Post
Hi Everybody,

Northeast Asian - 40%
Southeast Asian - 26%
Mediterranean - 12%
Northern European - 11%
Southwest Asian - 5%
Oceanian - 4%
---------
98%

It also said I share a close regional ancestry to people from Tatar Russia:

This reference population is based on samples collected from the Tatar people of Russia, a Turkic-speaking group that originated in the region of present-day Mongolia and settled on the Volga River in the 7th century. Their genetic results reflect their origin, with 16% Northeast Asian a major component. However, there has been substantial mixing with western Eurasian populations (including Russians) over the years, resulting in the 40% Northern European, 21% Southwest Asian, and 21% Mediterranean components more typical in Europe.

AND

Kinh Vietnam:

This reference population is based on samples collected from the Kinh ethnic group living in Vietnam, the largest ethnic group in the country. The 57% Northeast Asian and 43% Southeast Asian percentages are representative of migrations in East Asia, with the northeast Asian component likely coming from the earliest settlers in eastern Siberia and northern China. The southeast Asian component reflects mixing with groups that originated further south.

I had also found an article that my Haplogroup B4 showed up on this list, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

New Native Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups Extrapolated from Anzick Match Results | DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy

In addition, when I transferred my results from the Nat Geo Genographic project to Family Tree DNA, they showed my maternal haplogroup (B4C1B2A2) matched 4 people China, Indonesia, the Philippines (where my mom was born), and America (Native American Ancestry).

Thank you for your input!!
Its probably Neanderthal or Denosivan. Look at that part of the site. Mine add up to 98% and I'm 2.7% Neanderthal

Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 AM

12 posts, read 10,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Can't help you with your mystery 2%, but living in China and traveling extensively across Asia it's always interesting to see local people with descendants viewed as native with ancestors who clearly emigrated to the Americas from Canada to Tierra del Fuego and far beyond. Instead of potentially being 2% Native American, perhaps that 2% is simply unconfirmed as Asian. Interesting topic, but aren't we all originally descended from people once living in Africa?
There is not one current living population, living in Asia that is ancestral to Native Americans. Native Americans descend from an ancient Upper-Paleolithic population that died out in Asia, or the all came into the Americas together and didn't leave anyone behind in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy