Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,304,965 times

Advertisements

I just discovered a new genealogy resource I did not realize existed for Native American and Black American families. The Oklahoma Today magazine is the source of the history and pride. I found my ancestors in Oklahoma, too.

OK is home to 90 federally recognized Native tribes. Almost all United States tribes and bands are descendants of the original Algonkin Nation that settled on the Great Lakes in Canada b before the 16th century.

African American History & Culture in Oklahoma | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

Things To Do in Oklahoma | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

TravelOK.com Homepage | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 AM

These are very good links with information about where/how your Native or Black ancestors came to be in Oklahoma.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,548,002 times
What a treasure trove of database search engines.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:04 PM

The serious family researcher is curious, pays attention to detail, follows obscure hints, and does not give up easily. How much time and money one has to pursue hints and links can severely limit results, but not always. Here is one example.

My unknown cousins allegedly wrote a book about the ancestors early family that came to the colonies about 1700 from Scotland with a wife and children. His namesake matured and married a woman "of Dutch parentage" from Holland or Belgium. Most of this statement was not born out by facts. What it did was confuse me. I knew nothing about Western Europe in 1600. I only did not know any European History. I did not understand an imperial system of kings, empires, ect., or how to find records. But the statement "of a Principality in Belgium in early 1600" kept running through me head.

I found the church where they married and the kids were were baptized. Why was it important? Because it was named to honor Saint Martin the Poor. Why was he important. I looked to the Catholic Encyclopaedia for answers. And there was the answer. His missionary route was between Cologne and Antwerp. The more I read the encyclopaedia the more it unfolded the rise and fall of the Low Countries and the HRE.

The more I read the more I discovered the most important Golden Bull, and I was led to read several different Treaties that took place in Europe that eventually caused the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations (HRE) to be dissolved by abdication of the Emperor. Ultimately Germany was divided. It was one of those pieces of paper that caused Belgium to be formed, and later recognized as an independent country circa 1850.

The cousin's statement was not exactly untrue. The settler came with one son, not two; the namesake was born in in East Jersey and married the Dutch girl who was born in NY to Dutch parents. It was her mother's grandfather who was born about 1616 in a Principality according to church records. He, another family member, and friends arrived in the colonies circa 1664. This ancestor died about 30 years before she was born, which was about 175 years before the Kingdom of Belgium was recognized. By math alone I was able to conclude her g.g.grandfather was not born in Belgium in 1616, and neither was his wife or oldest son, as Belgium simply did not exist by that name or form.

And 10 years after I started the journey and learned how to read old Dutch records. I was finally able to write a coherent statement about my Dutch ancestor, and the many related Dutch families, that came to the Midwest and stayed. And a whole lot more.

It is all in the details. And it was not nearly as easy to find the information as it is to write about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
What a treasure trove of database search engines.

Last edited by linicx; 05-17-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy