Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

We are looking for ancestors of a Mary Lovern White who was born around 1890 per the 1900 census. Mary's married name was White to a Harlan T. White. She was adopted according to the 1900 census by a John and Catherine Lovern in Virginia. Mary's parents are believed to have ancestral roots in Austria or Hungary. A long ago deceased relative said that they think Mary was the first member of the family tree to be naturalized (citizenship) in the USA. We seek help on immigration records for Mary or her parents. There is also a chance that Mary's marriage records to Mr. White (dates unknown) might have some data pertaining to the Hungarian or Austrian ancestors. Mary's birth location, her parents names, etc. are the goals.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We are looking for ancestors of a Mary Lovern White who was born around 1890 per the 1900 census. Mary's married name was White to a Harlan T. White. She was adopted according to the 1900 census by a John and Catherine Lovern in Virginia. Mary's parents are believed to have ancestral roots in Austria or Hungary. A long ago deceased relative said that they think Mary was the first member of the family tree to be naturalized (citizenship) in the USA. We seek help on immigration records for Mary or her parents. There is also a chance that Mary's marriage records to Mr. White (dates unknown) might have some data pertaining to the Hungarian or Austrian ancestors. Mary's birth location, her parents names, etc. are the goals.
Thanks for the help.
You might try ancestry.com I think you can get a free trial membership, or if you know where she was naturalized try contacting the county clerk where that occurred and see if they have those records; that's how I found my grandparent's citizenship records.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:55 PM

Ancestry was tried and we think Mary was her birth name and her parents came from Hungary or Austria. The 1900 census shows her as an adopted child of the Lovern's. Maybe that was a way for her to stay in the USA and her parents return to their homeland. We do not know on that.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Sometimes the only way to untie that sticky wicket is to trace the husband to where they lived. Look for deeds and near neighbors where they lived.

Remember that some of these searches are nearly impossible without a living relative. .

Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 PM

There is no impossible. When you locate someone and no one else on earth could find them then you know.
Too little is known about Mary: birth location, her middle name, her parents last name, all unknown. She turns up in the household of Lovern's in Virginia in 1900. One of Mary's off spring who is long deceased was rather ashamed of the Hungarian or Austrian ancestry so most of those who were living as of 15-20 years ago knew nothing about Mary. The starting point may have to be 1900 going backward to find immigration records, etc. We can only guess why a 10 year old non US citizen with parents would be adopted in Virginia. The searching may need to be in Hungary as well. Remotely Budapest.

There are those who have access to "arrival" records and we have to assume Virginia at this point. Maybe those members who have not posted on CD in 3+ years will come forward and post.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:14 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
It is possible that Mary's parents died after arriving in the US. If I were in your situation I would look for a guardianship record for a Mary in Virginia between 1890 and 1900.

Research the adoptive parents. They many have been relatives. If not, Mary may have been an orphan placed with the family. Try to find a court record of adoption, often they will say that the child is an orphan or state that a parent(s) gave consent. To verify that there an adoption was formalized look for the parent's wills as in most states a will must list the names of all of the children.

In the late 1800s to adopt a child was an act of family responsibility (relative) or an act of charity because there were so many orphaned children. NE Orphan Train: NEGenWeb http://orphantraindepot.org/history/...-orphan-trains

Will any of this help you identify Mary's parents? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Ok. I found nothing to indicate Mary was anything but born in West Virginia. Every record & census I could find says that including her marriage certificate--info at bottom of this. With exception of 1940 where census taker wrote Kentucky as birthplace for everyone on the page. I have census records, deaths, marriages for most of Loverns--I can send you if you want.

I could not find a death place or death certificate for her.

The last name on her marriage certificate is "Marish". The certificate is blurry but it is a dotted i. SJ Lovern appears to be a witness. He was Mary's older brother in her adopted family. The spaces for parents on both bride & groom are just squiggled through. Harlan Tivis White was son of Wesley White & Kathy Ann Perkie according to his death certificate, so his birthparents were known.

I tracked every Lovern child of John Kelly Lovern & Catherine (Lerena C in 1870) Hall for a family connection to someone from Hungary or Austria with no results.
The census in 1930 says Mary's father was born in Hungary & mother in Virginia.

The McDowell county (1900 residence) or Pocahontas county, West Virginia wills books on family search might have an entry for that pertains to Mary (between 1889 & 1900). I did not go through it.
The marriage certificate: (it is indexed as Harlem White)
Mingo County, West Virginia

29th March 1911 at Nolan, West Virginia

A.W. Mead, minister of the Gospel (minister of the Baptist church)

Harlen White 30 divorced
born Johnson Co, Kentucky

Mary Marish 21 single
born Pocahontas Co, West Virginia

Lines through both parents sections

Name of person giving foregoing information SJ Lovern
Clerk James Dawson

Note written across says he is Tipple Boss at Hatfield Mines.
He residence Hatfield, West Virginia
Her residence Mingo County.

My notes-
There may be another record, registry for marriages at Mingo County which could have more information. This certificate is on familysearch. You may wish look up clergy name and follow up with Baptist church archived records. This is possible source if info about the adoption or any christening following.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The marriage certificate: (it is indexed as Harlem White)
Mingo County, West Virginia

29th March 1911 at Nolan, West Virginia

A.W. Mead, minister of the Gospel (minister of the Baptist church)

Harlen White 30 divorced
born Johnson Co, Kentucky

Mary Marish 21 single
born Pocahontas Co, West Virginia

Lines through both parents sections

Name of person giving foregoing information SJ Lovern
Clerk James Dawson

Note written across says he is Tipple Boss at Hatfield Mines.
He residence Hatfield, West Virginia
Her residence Mingo County.
We have communicated with a niece of Mary. It seems that the last name of Marish may have ended as far as documentation with the marriage in 1911. That last name is not known or seen on any documents for Mary after that date. If she was actually adopted by Catherine Lovern, where did Marish come from? If not adopted and she ended up in that household in 1900 by some other scenario, again where did Marish come from. It does not appear to be a Hungarian or Austrian surname.

Is it possible the marriage certificate is not accurate as far as her name. If clerk Dawson did not ask for proof of name, is it possible he was verbally told Mary Marish and Marish was not anyone's last name?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Other Marish families in the census were from Austria. I did not see a family in that locale in 1880 census. I would check death registry in that county of 1900 residence & her birth county of Pocahontas.
It was very common in early years to adopt children but not have any legal proceedings. By 1900 I would expect court documents because of her young age.
The certificate was probably proceeded by a marriage license with a bond. And a marriage registry to register the marriage certificate. All such records would be at that county courthouse as well as orphans court & will & estate filings.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Wow, Historyfan did such a great job for you! Here's my 2 cents:

Marish (Marisc, Marous) is a Slovenian surname. Slovenia was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire in the time period discussed here. It is located in between Austria, Italy, and Hungary which is why the first names of people with the Marish surname seem both Austrian and Italian. Later Slovenia became part of Yugoslavia, and it is now an independent country.

It was very common for Slovenian immigrants to have mining experience and to become miners in the US after they arrived. The areas of West Virginia that Historyfan mentioned are coal mining areas.

Slovenians were almost all Catholic, so it would be very very worthwhile looking at the Catholic church records in the counties that HistoryFan mentioned for birth/baptismal records of a Mary (or Maria) Marish and for death records of people with that surname in the appropriate time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy