Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,720,953 times

Advertisements

I've become accustomed to the 'new' and use it all the time now. For several months, though, I shuttled back and forth between the old and new. Every time I left the new, I got the opportunity to tell Ancestry why. Much to my surprise, many of those issues have been resolved. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

I also use the Ancestry suggestion box to offer my ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I am finding what I want on the new Ancestry but it's in different places and takes some looking to find it at first. "Tools" is good. So is "facts."

Here is something I am not good at: screen shots. But my problem with the new Ancestry is that you can barely view your tree. Look how much space is wasted at the bottom with some names (which I have blacked out) and heads--what for? Then more wasted space with Support Center to Careers. Under that "Visit other sites." On my screen that junk takes up over an inch of space that could have been used to display more of my tree.

There is wasted space at the top too where more of my tree could have been displayed.
It looks like you have scrolled down the page, which you don't really need to do. You're supposed to click and drag the tree around on the available space. It was the same with the old site too - I always did click and drag, never scroll - the same "stuff" at the bottom is on the old site too though. I don't have any problems with click and drag on either old or new.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,792,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

I also use the Ancestry suggestion box to offer my ideas.
Does that really work? Those things always give me the sense that they are just to make users feel better ("we appreciate your suggestions") but they'll continue to just do whatever they want. Kind of like hitting that button to make the light change when you want to cross a street; it's just to make you feel like you've done something, but it affects nothing.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Does that really work? Those things always give me the sense that they are just to make users feel better ("we appreciate your suggestions") but they'll continue to just do whatever they want. Kind of like hitting that button to make the light change when you want to cross a street; it's just to make you feel like you've done something, but it affects nothing.
Normally, I would say no, they don't pay much attention to it. But during the process of this New Ancestry development, they were very much taking our feedback on board. I think because it was a work in progress and because so many people had the same complaints. Given that the New site will be permanent of as Dec 15, I don't know how much they are still taking feedback and making changes at this point though. It feels like they're wrapping things up now.

They also have the newancestry@ancestry.com email you can send feedback to.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:48 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Normally, I would say no, they don't pay much attention to it. But during the process of this New Ancestry development, they were very much taking our feedback on board. I think because it was a work in progress and because so many people had the same complaints. Given that the New site will be permanent of as Dec 15, I don't know how much they are still taking feedback and making changes at this point though. It feels like they're wrapping things up now.

They also have the newancestry@ancestry.com email you can send feedback to.
They have paid attention and have responded to people's complaints. And I am newly amazed. I just now received a REPLY! I had recently written to that email address about the tree view being hard to read. Maybe the inability for me to drag the tree around is due to my computer. I don't know. But on the old Ancestry I scrolled--and if I go to the old Ancestry I can still scroll. I use Google chrome browser but can hardly get the thing to move in new Ancestry.

My other main complaint is the dark gray background making it harder to read. Less contrast and just so dark. Don't know if they'll do anything about that but they do seem to listen, which is something we, as consumers, don't usually expect anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy