Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 PM

98 posts, read 343,250 times

Advertisements

I've been using Ancestry.com for years and years and have three family trees, one of which is huge. I stopped using this site a while back because it is so expensive. Retired now on a small budget but still love researching and family history. Does anyone know of any free sites to work on a family tree and research? I tried the LDS family tree building site called Pioneers but it is hard to work with. When I entered an ancestor I already had on my old family tree, it would erase my information unless it matched what they have in their database. Any ideas? All help appreciated because I would love to continue this without spending so much. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Have you considered keeping your trees on a software application on your own PC ? And just use the Internet for research at all the free sites like LDS, etc ?

I use Family Tree Maker (owned by Ancestry). It has a one-time cost of about $70

Old 07-29-2015, 04:55 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
reed303 beat me to it ... I was also going to suggest some software. The one-time purchase cost is worth it. I'm using an ancient program, Family Origins, because it was given to me. Otherwise I would not hesitate to buy Family Tree Maker. My father uses it.

I'm 99% sure you can download your ancestry files as gedcoms and import them into Family Tree Maker so that you wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
reed303 beat me to it ... I was also going to suggest some software. The one-time purchase cost is worth it. I'm using an ancient program, Family Origins, because it was given to me. Otherwise I would not hesitate to buy Family Tree Maker. My father uses it.

I'm 99% sure you can download your ancestry files as gedcoms and import them into Family Tree Maker so that you wouldn't have to start from scratch.
Yes, but you have to have "converted" your Trees to the "New Ancestry" format.

The New Ancestry

then use these instructions

Uploading and Downloading GEDCOM Files on Ancestry

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, but you have to have "converted" your Trees to the "New Ancestry" format.

The New Ancestry

then use these instructions

Uploading and Downloading GEDCOM Files on Ancestry
Downloading a gedcom was always possible, even with the old ancestry.com design. They just no longer have instructions for doing so with the old site. It's found in the same location though, under Tree Settings - and you pretty much get to Tree Settings in the same way, it's just that the visuals are a little different.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

Actually, you don't need to download the gedcom - with the latest versions of FTM, it will download your online tree for you and unlike the gedcom download, it will include all your media and all the images of documents you attached from Ancestry.com. Once downloaded into FTM, they will remain on your computer so even if you no longer subscribe to Ancestry.com, you will still have all the records you attached to your tree.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
i like familysearch.org better than anchestry and its free.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i like familysearch.org better than anchestry and its free.
The OP said they tried FamilySearch.org but had difficulties with it. They have great free collections but they don't even allow you to upload a gedcom, which pretty much excludes anyone who already has a tree and wants to move it to their site.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I use Ancestry in conjunction with FamilySearch. While my Ancestry subscription is no longer active, I use FamilySearch to followup on hints from Ancestry to the best extent that I can; note, this doesn't help when hints are other family trees on Ancestry, which sucks as those are potential golden nuggets of information that I'm missing out on without a subscription. I'll then update my Ancestry family tree with information gleamed from FamilySearch accordingly. Note, even without this process, I'd still be active on Ancestry due to AncestryDNA, which allows me to access new and old DNA hints and to take looks at any shared family names we have in our trees.

Still, as good as FamilySearch is, I would like a cheap/free site that has a better family tree interface. But, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The OP said they tried FamilySearch.org but had difficulties with it. They have great free collections but they don't even allow you to upload a gedcom, which pretty much excludes anyone who already has a tree and wants to move it to their site.
You can upload a gedcom at Family Search. I uploaded mine months ago.

ETA: (familysearch.org) you click where it says "Family Tree" and it will give you options to upload your gedcom. You have to have an account with them though similar to ancestry.com. Theirs is pretty similar to ancestry.com. I have also used a free online charting website called familyecho.org. You can enter information and share a chart on that site and download/save it in GedCom file for uploading onto Family Tree Maker or Family Search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy