Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times

Advertisements

I have collected obits that were flat out wrong. Try to get a funeral home record to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I have collected obits that were flat out wrong. Try to get a funeral home record to compare.
Obits and "official" records (such as death certificates) can be so wrong -- seen that myself too many times. However, there can be usefulness in wrong information. For example, recently I found a death certificate for an ancestor, and his place of birth given was Tennessee. For fact he was born in Georgia, so why the heck did the informant say Tennessee???!! With some digging it turns out that the deceased's mother (noted as Unknown on the certificate) had been born in Tennessee, a factoid I did not know, but now do thanks to "wrong information".

For the OP Howard555, who's trying to discover the "Jones" surname connection, researching others in the obituary may point to the relationship between "Jim Jones" and "R. Wilson". Howard555 may encounter all kinds of information (correct and incorrect), but the answer is out there someplace.

Just had another thought ... using some of those people-search websites (whitepages, familytreenow, etc.), relationship connections show up. Of course to get all the info and details means to cough up a fee, but I've gotten a ton of leads without paying a cent.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
Another thought: does "Jim" have any children/descendants who might have the information you are looking for?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I'd guess "Jim" is "Margaret's" son, from either a previous marriage or when she was single.
Read it again. Jim and Margaret are siblings in that obituary.

We have found a relative but they are not helping out at this point. It must be an adoption either as a small baby though an agency. Or possibly an intra-family adoption. We have another obituary for another deceased family member and it looks like it may have been an intra-family adoption and the child may have been adopted by another family member. Not sure or conclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy