Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymaker221 View Post
Ah I see. Any chance that some of the genes were left behind in central Asia? 'Cause that would be closer to my original ancestral lands(Mesopotamia).
Yes. There are red-haired Central Asians, Tibetans, and Siberians. It's rare, but it happens. Because some of those Indo-Euros who populated the Altai Mountains and the central Asian desert were eventually absorbed by the surrounding populations and nomad groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
I was wondering, I've always had some freckles on my face which get darker during summer and though my hair is dark brown/black, some spots of my facial hair have red hair. Also my skin color on my face is quite pale with a pink tone and I get completely red as a tomato when I workout. My mother once told me that somebody in the family is clearly of red hair penotype but not sure who, should I try to find out if it can give me an answer? Or is this somewhat silly and 'ginger' genes cannot be passed down in 'small amounts'.
I don't understand. Are you concerned that you might have a red-haired child? Red-haired children are often born to non-red haired parents. I was born to a brunette mother and a blond father. And I'm not just a little bit red; a child, I had screaming red hair! My siblings have varying shades of hair. I married a blond born to a blonde mother and brunette father. Our children are auburn, bright red, and strawberry-blonde.

Are you of British, Irish, or Western European (German, Dutch, Danish) heritage? If so, it's quite possible that you are a carrier of the mutation that causes red hair. If you marry someone who is also a carrier, then, yes, you could have a red-haired child.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-20-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 PM

141 posts, read 416,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't understand. Are you concerned that you might have a red-haired child? Red-haired children are often born to non-red haired parents. I was born to a brunette mother and a blond father. And I'm not just a little bit red; a child, I had screaming red hair! My siblings have varying shades of hair. I married a blond born to a blonde mother and brunette father. Our children are auburn, bright red, and strawberry-blonde.

Are you of British, Irish, or Western European (German, Dutch, Danish) heritage? If so, it's quite possible that you are a carrier of the mutation that causes red hair. If you marry someone who is also a carrier, then, yes, you could have a red-haired child.
Nooo not concerned, just really curious. My ancestry is actually from the region of south Turkey, North Iraq and North Syria. Not 'white' people as we're darker caucasions however there are small amount of people with European features and coloring including red hair which is the rarest to find. I think I got it from my mother(she has some freckless on her body) who got it from her cousin who's a full redhead. Genetics are really interesting.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Interesting, so do you reckon that there can be cases where the 'redness' from the ginger gene can show up in tiny amounts on a carrier too?

That is an amazingly beautiful hair color, I'd feel blessed if I were you.
Oh, I do like it - and I'm actually grateful that it's dark auburn since my skin color is very pale. If I had lighter hair and these dark brown eyes, I think I would look odd. As it is, I have dark red hair, dark eyes and pale skin and I can live easily enough with that!

My husband is a blonde haired, blue eyed Aryan looking guy. He is always amazed at how pale my skin is compared to my very dark auburn hair and eyes, but I think it's due in part to that red headed gene that's lurking in the background. One more turn of the genes and I'd be a red headed, pale person with lots of freckles! Not that that can't be attractive but it's more expected, I think.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There are red-headed skeletons in Asia.. this doesn't mean that Orientals had red hair, but
it means that the Redheads lived in Asia.. they also lived in the Holy Land, and migrated over
the Caucasus Mountains.
Anyway, I had some orange (red) hair on my brown beard only.. along with some blonde
whiskers - funny thing is, the orange hairs went gray, while everything else on the beard has not.
Are they the first to "go" ? Some of my Italian family had the red hair.
My grandmother had naturally fire engine red hair and by her fifties, it had morphed into the most beautiful stark white hair.

Also, my husband has blonde hair but it's a strawberry blonde. His beard is redder than the hair on his head and it turned white several years ago, stark white. He couldn't stand it - felt it made him look old - so he shaved it, but I thought it was very nice, kept short in a striking white goatee. He's threatening to grow it back but his mustache is still red (redder than his hair on his head, as his beard was) so I think it would just look weird till his mustache turns white. I mean, three colors of hair in three different spots on one head? Nyahhhhh!!!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
My daughter is a blue eyed redhead. A blue eyed strawberry blonde to be more accurate.

I had very red hair as a child and my eyes began as blue but have got more green as ive aged.

Now THAT'S weird.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
I think I got it from my mother(she has some freckless on her body) who got it from her cousin who's a full redhead. Genetics are really interesting.

Genetics are really interesting, but you do not inherit anything from a cousin - unless the cousin was also a parent or grandparent!

You may, however, have acquired the gene from a grandparent shared by your mother and her cousin.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
My father's side of the family is heavily Scots Irish. He was a tow head when he was young - white blond - but his hair turned black as he got older. His mother's hair was auburn; his father's was black. My hair used to be black, and my brother was a red head when he was young, changing to dirty blond as he got older. My husband's hair is brown. One son has dark brown hair; the other's is very dark brown, almost black, and he has a red beard.

An explanation for my dad's hair:

Why Some Blond Kids Go Dark | Towhead Blonde Kids Turn Brunette

Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Nooo not concerned, just really curious. My ancestry is actually from the region of south Turkey, North Iraq and North Syria. Not 'white' people as we're darker caucasions however there are small amount of people with European features and coloring including red hair which is the rarest to find. I think I got it from my mother(she has some freckless on her body) who got it from her cousin who's a full redhead. Genetics are really interesting.
Your mother cannot inherit from her cousin. She would have to inherit from a grandparent she shared with the cousin. The grandparent would pass it down to their children. She and her cousin each had one of the grandparent's children for a parent.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:53 PM

913 posts, read 884,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
My daughter is a blue eyed redhead. A blue eyed strawberry blonde to be more accurate.

I had very red hair as a child and my eyes began as blue but have got more green as ive aged.

Now THAT'S weird.
Same here. Born a strawberry blonde and had blue/gray eyes until about 30 yrs. old. Now more often than not they are green. Sometimes they will still be blue/gray depending on what I wear. So when someone asks me what color eyes I have I usually just tell them to look and let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy