Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM

141 posts, read 416,988 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, I've always had some freckles on my face which get darker during summer and though my hair is dark brown/black, some spots of my facial hair have red hair. Also my skin color on my face is quite pale with a pink tone and I get completely red as a tomato when I workout. My mother once told me that somebody in the family is clearly of red hair penotype but not sure who, should I try to find out if it can give me an answer? Or is this somewhat silly and 'ginger' genes cannot be passed down in 'small amounts'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
The only way ginger can be passed down is if you have both parents with ginger genes.

This is why its quite rare but most definitely runs in families. If you get one ginger, you get a lot.

Sometimes there's variation in degree of redness too.

The royal family is a good example. There's been redheads since Henry VIII or before. They say Prince Harry is his doppelganger.

Prince Harry is a real ginger yet his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie, who have a ginger mother, are only somewhat reddish.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Both my grandmothers were natural "gingers." One was predominately Scottish and one was predominately British.

My dad has russet colored hair. I had strawberry blonde hair as a child but it darkened to auburn over the years and ended up being a very dark auburn in fact. I have very pale skin and don't tan easily, and I also tend to freckle. But my eyes are very dark brown.

I had my DNA tested and it showed a 28 percent chance of blonde hair but only a 5 percent chance of red hair - however, it showed that I am a "red head carrier." I actually have, like I said, dark auburn hair, which really means dark brown with lots of red highlights in it. I can't even dye the red out of it, meaning I can put BLACK dye on my hair and it's still going to have a red shine to it, but it's not red.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The only way ginger can be passed down is if you have both parents with ginger genes.

This is why its quite rare but most definitely runs in families. If you get one ginger, you get a lot.

Sometimes there's variation in degree of redness too.

The royal family is a good example. There's been redheads since Henry VIII or before. They say Prince Harry is his doppelganger.

Prince Harry is a real ginger yet his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie, who have a ginger mother, are only somewhat reddish.
Interesting, so do you reckon that there can be cases where the 'redness' from the ginger gene can show up in tiny amounts on a carrier too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually have, like I said, dark auburn hair, which really means dark brown with lots of red highlights in it. I can't even dye the red out of it, meaning I can put BLACK dye on my hair and it's still going to have a red shine to it, but it's not red.
That is an amazingly beautiful hair color, I'd feel blessed if I were you.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Our neighbors were both brunettes. They had a brunette son, a very red-haired son and a blonde daughter.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Our neighbors were both brunettes. They had a brunette son, a very red-haired son and a blonde daughter.
Probably someone who totally understands genetics will explain it all for us.

I know my grandfather who died youngish had red hair. One of his sons married a red headed woman and two of their sons have bright red hair while the third one's hair is brown.

So those ginger genes existed on both sides in that case.

My hair has always been brown but with reddish tones. My dad had black hair, my mother had brown hair, my two sisters have dark blonde hair but my mother's father was the one with red hair. I think that red hair is recessive like blue eyes but maybe someone a generation or two back can still influence your hair color. Let's hope a DNA expert comes along.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:55 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
It's complicated!

Myths of Human Genetics: Hair Color

Old 10-18-2015, 12:29 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymaker221 View Post
Interesting, so do you reckon that there can be cases where the 'redness' from the ginger gene can show up in tiny amounts on a carrier too?

That is an amazingly beautiful hair color, I'd feel blessed if I were you.
My brother in law is a redhead. The family joke was "he was the milkman's"... till one day the milk man was late and he had red hair. Yeah, they stopped making that joke.

But when they went to a family reunion when he was 6 months old, a maiden aunt was SO happy SOMEONE got the red hair so like her two late brothers.... so it ran in the family -- sort of. Brother in law was the only child in two generations to get it -- and none since.

Oldest brother was blonde, middle one was brown, and #3 was a ginger.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymaker221 View Post
I was wondering, I've always had some freckles on my face which get darker during summer and though my hair is dark brown/black, some spots of my facial hair have red hair. Also my skin color on my face is quite pale with a pink tone and I get completely red as a tomato when I workout. My mother once told me that somebody in the family is clearly of red hair penotype but not sure who, should I try to find out if it can give me an answer? Or is this somewhat silly and 'ginger' genes cannot be passed down in 'small amounts'.
My husband has freckles on his back. His hair is brown but his beard is COMPLETELY red when it grows in---I like it! His mother's family is Italian so not sure that he has any "ginger" genes from her.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My husband has freckles on his back. His hair is brown but his beard is COMPLETELY red when it grows in---I like it! His mother's family is Italian so not sure that he has any "ginger" genes from her.
This may be incorrect but I've read before that red hair genes originated from the United Kingdom. My ancestry is quite far away from that part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy