Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: What race do you consider half black half white people?
Black 63 24.51%
Mixed race aka biracial 190 73.93%
White 4 1.56%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times

Advertisements

They like to fight among themselves about light vs dark skinned black people. Calling light skinned black people not true blacks. And they call white people racist.lol

Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
They like to fight among themselves about light skinned vs dark skinned black people. And they call white people racist.lol
This topic has nothing to do with that at all.

Bi-racial people (the swirl generation) are not light-skinned black people.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 AM

88 posts, read 128,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is another myth. "One drop" doesn't literally make a person black. I can almost always tell the difference. I can even tell the difference between lightskinned blacks and biracial people. A lot of biracial people are the same color as me, but I don't think we favor at all. They always show clear signs that they were born to white parents, and I can spot them from a mile away. And if not by their appearance, I can tell by their mannerism.

Actress Garcelle Beauvais Nilon recently had some bi-racial kids that came out white-as-the-klans-robe. There are too many examples to point out.
When my granddaughter was born, she was white, over time her skin tone darken. My son's mother in law was mortified when our granddaughter was born white, saying that cannot be her granddaughter. The nurse told her the father (my son) is white so why wouldn't she be white. Anyway as I said her skin tone is now darker although lighter skin tone than her mom but she has facial features of her dad. Skin tone should not be used as a classification system or social designation.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
My daughter is half black. The government considered her black. Blacks consider her black.

When she was a baby I'd have black women come up to me when I'd be out shopping or even when I was staying at a DV shelter telling me I should give my baby up for adoption so she could be raised properly in a black home. My role as a parent was constantly under attack like that, even by my blood family. No one was supportive of my right to raise my own daughter because my skin wasn't dark enough to suit them.

I'd call them mixed though. They are just as white as they are black. People want to overlook their whiteness and push them into "their own culture."

Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
You sound like my grandparents that haven't gotten out much since the 50's, and haven't woken up to the fact that we are not segregated anymore. It's actually 2015, not 1952.

There's no longer a legal definition of race that determines what rights you have, where you can sit, what school you can go to school, or who you can marry. There isn't a hierarchy of race at all. "White" and "Black" or "mixed/biracial" are just identities that are all on the same level.

Old folks that grew up during segregation have internalized "blackness" as an inescapable taint. I don't like the crabs-in-a-barrel attitude of "You're black no matter what you say!" because it only serves to stigmatize African Ancestry. What they're really saying is "You're one of us lowly negros!"

I went to school with a lot of the millenial bi-racial kids ("the swirl generation"), and never cared much what they chose to call themselves because I didn't identify with them. Contrary to what a lot of people say, they are very different from us, not just their physical appearance, but they have a different upbringing than people from traditional all-black families, and carry lots of identity issues and other emotional baggage that we don't need to be bothered with.

Bi-racial people: You have no obligation to be black if you don't want to be. Call yourself whatever you want, run off and be white!
You're right, I do sound like that. This is what I've said before that you don't seem to realize:

The "Old folks that grew up during segregation have internalized 'blackness' [or 'whiteness'] as an inescapable taint" are the ones still running the United States.

Yes, we Boomers were the last generation born and raised in apartheid--which, btw, only began to be dismantled in 1964 and isn't quite completely dismantled even yet. We were raised in segregation at least into junior high school, many of us reaching our adult lives without ever being in an integrated society. I personally never new a white kid by name, had never been in a school, amusement park, or swimming pool with a white kid until I was in the 7th grade. The last time I had to sit in segregated movie seating was July 20, 1969--yes, the same day Neil Armstrong stepped out on the moon.

As late as the 80s, US courts were still ruling by the "one drop rule." And today, the last generation born and raised in apartheid is still firmly in control of American politics, media, and commerce.

You in your generation do think differently, and I'm so glad to see a generation that does think differently, but you're right--my generation is still bound by what we were taught as children.

You're still operating under our racism-tainted social framework, however, and you will be until we die. So just understand that when I warn of racism, I'm speaking from that standpoint.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

132 posts, read 122,580 times
They're mixed. I used to view them as black until I realized how hostile they are towards us. I just wish we would stop mating with non-blacks and creating more of them.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:24 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Human race.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM

387 posts, read 408,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
They're mixed. I used to view them as black until I realized how hostile they are towards us. I just wish we would stop mating with non-blacks and creating more of them.

Although I don't agree with what you're saying everyone is entitled to their own opinion. From my personal experiences (being raised by a house full of black women) my dealings with black people have always been direct and to the point. With white people there's usually more beating around the bush as generally they're more passive and don't want things to escalate/get out of hand. Part of this is because growing up black people always told me what I needed to hear where with white people it seemed that they were trying to paint me a picture of fantasy when I already knew that my situation already wasn't the greatest. From a dating perspective I haven't dated/slept with a white woman since the mid 90's. Reason being is I was more attracted to the women who played a major part in shaping me into the man that I am today. Maybe if I were raised by my mother/her family i'd view this situation differently...

Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're right, I do sound like that. This is what I've said before that you don't seem to realize:

The "Old folks that grew up during segregation have internalized 'blackness' [or 'whiteness'] as an inescapable taint" are the ones still running the United States.
With all due respect to my elders, you all are crazy.

Race is not a socially hierarchy anymore. No one, not "white" people nor "mixed" people, is better than us, even if they might think they are. African ancestry is not a stain. "Black" is not a trash heap or a jail to throw away everybody that is rejected by whites.

This is some kind of psychological disorder. There's no convincing stubborn old people. So traumatized by the past, you can't think rationally. You must have really believed all those things that racists used to scream in your faces.

I remember however many years ago when Tiger Woods was on Oprah and adults were so offended that he doesn't identify as black. I was thinking: "So? Why do we need Tiger Woods to be black?" "Who is he?" "He looks like a science experiment to me anyway." Let him call himself "caublanasian".

Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This is silly political nonsense. Why would somebody who looks like the President pretend he was white? Moreover, back when Obama was applying to colleges in the late 1970s, college interviewers would have assumed he was black anyways. I don't believe that he embraced black culture as his own until later, possibly when he was in grad school or early in his professional life. Since he didn't have a father who wanted one of his sons to be POTUS like JFK or come from a family with a tradition of political service like George W Bush, it's pretty much a stretch to say that Obama had his eye on the White House back in his 20s or 30s, and embraced black heritage primarily to advance that purpose.
True. In the 70s I don't think anyone used the word "bi-racial" and there would have been no place to check race other than "black, white, Asian, American Indian". I think those were the choices.

Also, in the 70s and now, most people would look at Pres. Obama and identify him as black, not white.

My daughter was adopted from Korea and when she was applying to college she checked "Asian" when it would help her chances. In colleges where being Asian was not a positive attribute, she checked "prefer not to identify".

Pres. Obama never seemed to have any issues with his duel heritages. He sported an Afro in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy