Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Couple of things -- I've seen a couple of places where stones were carved wrong, and used as pavers.... why they didn't flip them, I don't know. I also stayed at a B&B where the walkway was also headstones, and other flat stones, from the local graveyard, where the stones were broken for some reason (and used in the walk) and replaced by family. The owner told me why -- and it was perfectly plausible and not creepy... but I can't remember it, it was so long ago.
Very likely -- because the OP said a neighbor had referred to the house where bodies were laid out. In short, it could have been a sort of funeral home of the day. Undertakers often took care of arranging for the grave marker.

As an aside, I once went hiking near a stone quarry where the make headstones. Off in a a valley alongside the quarry I found a bunch of tombstones, some obviously broken.

Other stones were intact and complete. I asked a local guy about that, and he says that's what they do if someone orders a stone but does not pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
You're welcome!

On moving grave markers:

Removing Gravestones from Graveyards

Old 11-05-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
This does not read like a grave stone to me, but rather like a memorial. I have never seen a stone that refers to how long someone was married to their spouse. You mention that you believe the John listed on the stone died in 1838, but I believe the Jan 23, 1838 date is referring to their wedding date, not his death date.
That information on a grave stone, including the epitaph, is not unusual at all. The addition of the marriage date might be a bit uncommon. It does imply that the family was well enough off financially to be able to afford the additional carving. I have a several times great grandmother who is buried in the back yard of a private residence that is on what was her family property. It has her name (including her maiden name - which broke down a genealogical brick wall for me), her husband's name, her dates of birth and death, and a short epitaph.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That information on a grave stone, including the epitaph, is not unusual at all. The addition of the marriage date might be a bit uncommon. It does imply that the family was well enough off financially to be able to afford the additional carving. I have a several times great grandmother who is buried in the back yard of a private residence that is on what was her family property. It has her name (including her maiden name - which broke down a genealogical brick wall for me), her husband's name, her dates of birth and death, and a short epitaph.
I took a look at her father's headstone (linked to on Find a grave above) and it was interesting to note that his headstone also says "In Memory of" and has quite a bit of writing on it (long quote at the bottom). Doesn't prove anything, but suggests that maybe this was also a headstone perhaps.

Interestingly, I also found that John bought land in Lafayette County in the mid-1840s. He and his father owned land in Saline County. John moved the kids back there a few years after Adaline died. He is buried in Saline. This might suggest that Adaline was buried on the family property but since it did not remain in John's control (he moved and presumably sold it), perhaps a later owner didn't understand there was a grave on the property and repurposed the stone.

In any case, all of Adaline's relatives are buried either in Lafayette County (her parents, her sister) but John is buried back in Saline with his parents and some of his kids.

Some where along the line, Adaline's resting place was lost. So sad in a way, but how wonderful that the poster is trying to find out where she is!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This might suggest that Adaline was buried on the family property but since it did not remain in John's control (he moved and presumably sold it), perhaps a later owner didn't understand there was a grave on the property and repurposed the stone.
Sadly, perhaps the person who repurposed the stone did know there was a grave there.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:05 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sadly, perhaps the person who repurposed the stone did know there was a grave there.
That's what I'm thinking. Of course we'll never know for sure, but let's say John and the children buried Adaline behind their house and put a gravestone there. Or, her family may have put a gravestone there for her at some later point. A few years later, John and his children moved back to Saline. Their house may have fallen down after a few years, or been removed for other purposes.

We know from what the OP said that her house wasn't built until 1904 -- that's more than 50 years after Adaline died. So, a good chance that her lonely headstone was just found nearby and used when the new house owner needed a stone to shore up that front porch. But, it does at least solve a mystery for Adaline's descendents, who didn't seem to have a good birth date for her. They know know that, plus they also know approximately where she was buried.

Perhaps the OP, if she has access to ancestry.com, can post this information on the forum there. But, it's already turned up in Google search, so it is likely that at some point a Nowlin descendent will stumble upon it and perhaps put all the pieces together.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I know of instances where gravestones did not get relocated to a new cemetery or new family cemetery when remains did...fir whatever reason.

And also markers that were either mistakes/errors or not paid for...they were then just considered material at the monument business.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 2,670 times
Default My 3rd GG

I would love to see this!

Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
This is an old thread and someone has popped it up again. I just checked and someone has made Adaline a FindAGrave memorial. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...GRid=178627162

There are no pictures on the memorial as of yet, but the family would probably love to have the OP's pictures and story if she were to share them on FindAGrave.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
This is an old thread and someone has popped it up again. I just checked and someone has made Adaline a FindAGrave memorial. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...GRid=178627162

There are no pictures on the memorial as of yet, but the family would probably love to have the OP's pictures and story if she were to share them on FindAGrave.
Someone uploaded it yesterday. I'm sure it's going to be appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy