U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 06:31 PM

10,811 posts, read 5,861,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LabRat View Post
What would the initials be when the last name is prefix by a lowercase "de" as in "deLastname"?
Please and Thank you.
Good question. I never thought of how that would work. I have Dutch (van) ancestors but never gave it a thought. The President of Mexico at the time of the Texas Revolution was Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón. We mostly know him as Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, but still there's a multiple word surname.
Would he be A.LdSA. (?)

I have McSweeney ancestors and the 'Mc' came and went almost willy-nilly with one generation to the next and sometimes within a generation. The initials for a Denis and his son, also Denis, could be DM or DS depending on what they used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 05:38 AM

36,642 posts, read 36,795,325 times
I have relatives with the last name that starts with "De" (originated from Belgium). I guess when they came to the USA they attached it to the rest of the last name (although the second word is still capitalized) without a space between the words. Therefore their last name initial is D.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:11 AM

1,301 posts, read 615,219 times
My family surname is De______ and everyone in the family uses D as the initial not the second part. Some younger generation kids don't capitalize the second part (which some here would call the actual surname) so it's all one word.
The rare problem appears when people hear the De as the middle initial D and misfile documents under what follows the De, that may be why some have uncapitalized.

Genealogy hasn't yet told me whether the De's are French or Belgian but there is a Huguenot connection, so long ago no one remembers or has documents. Pretty sure the French use D as initial in the De situation.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:41 PM

863 posts, read 609,240 times
Personally not a fan of monograms since it has been brought up by the OP. Monograms just strongly remind me of 80s/90s for some reason.

Old Today, 11:38 AM
EvD

1 posts
My last name is van Dalen. I use my first name then EvD as my three letters of initials. I don’t even use my middle name, M.

I consider vD as my last name initials. As for what I claim as my initial when only one letter is available, I choose v.

I’m quite stubborn about keeping the v small. My father left The Netherlands when he was 10. It’s important to preserve my heritage.

Old Today, 01:37 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,703,991 times
If the combination last name has a space between a lower-case prepositional prefix and the true surname, then the last word controls for alphabetical order. Example: Diane von Fu (e) rstenberg (umlaut optional) should be alphabetized under "F" and her initials/ monogram could be DvF (but never DV). Benicio del Toro is a "T" name. Karl-Theodor von und zu Guttenberg is a "G" name.

If the prepositional prefix has been capitalized or the space removed, then the name has been nativized (Anglicized) to local usage. The name is now treated as a single unit for order and initials:

President Martin Van Buren goes under "V" and his initials are MV or MVB (his choice). Charles DeVault is a "D" name and initials are CD (CDV would be unusual, but again, family choice)

There are also compound surnames: Helena Bonham Carter. Her surname is "Bonham Carter" not Carter. She is alphabetized under B, yet her initials are HBC (never HB and never HC). In England these compound surnames are often hyphenated.

This entire situation is somewhat rare in the US, but it is very common in the Portuguese and Spanish speaking countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy