U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,750 times

Advertisements

I am trying to track down some family history. My maternal grandmother was from Virden. Her maiden name was Eleanor Prosise. Her parents were Ella and Ellis Prosise.

My mother has Alzheimer's now and is not able to answer my questions and unfortunately, I did not pay enough attention to the family stories. I hope someone can help me put some pieces together.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 12:23 AM

166 posts, read 809,864 times
I live about 20 minutes from Virden. I'm not from the area, but know a family (Musso) that I think has been there forever. PM me your email address and I will see if they can help you.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvanell View Post
I am trying to track down some family history. My maternal grandmother was from Virden. Her maiden name was Eleanor Prosise. Her parents were Ella and Ellis Prosise.

My mother has Alzheimer's now and is not able to answer my questions and unfortunately, I did not pay enough attention to the family stories. I hope someone can help me put some pieces together.
DJ be glad to help you Im working on Illlinois at the present time trying to find the rest of my grandmother family . go to Rootsweb/freepages / Goodall's around the world in the mean time i will do some searching for you MBGoodall

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,046,975 times
Is there something specific you are looking for? I can so some searches for you - I have a paid membership to Ancestry.

Alot of people just want to know what their roots are - what country they came from. The research can be long because you have 4 grandparents, 8 great gparents, 16 gggrandparents etc.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
I am researching my grandpa's side of the family. His mother was Cecilia Puskar, daughter of Veronicka and John Puskar. His father was John Edward Roth and that is all I know of that family. Anyone who has any information on these families or any information of where I could start looking it would be appreciated! They are a mystery to us all and we are anxious to find out any information good or bad!

sisterstearoom@gmail.com

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM

676 posts, read 1,045,013 times
I have found may free pages about Illinois geneology online. First, go to "Cyndy's List" and begin searching. It is chockful of geneology sites, and indexed to make finding them easy. Also just Google the name of the county and "geneology". Many Illinois countys have their own webpages.

Last edited by sky1949; 05-06-2012 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

33,514 posts, read 35,417,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterstearoom View Post
I am researching my grandpa's side of the family. His mother was Cecilia Puskar, daughter of Veronicka and John Puskar. His father was John Edward Roth and that is all I know of that family. Anyone who has any information on these families or any information of where I could start looking it would be appreciated! They are a mystery to us all and we are anxious to find out any information good or bad!

sisterstearoom@gmail.com
Welcome to City Data!

In the future, it would be best to start a new thread.

from Ancestry.com:

For Veronicka, born about 1873, & John, born about 1871:

1910 Federal Census: living in Moweaqua, Shelby, IL
Both born Austria - Slovak, as were the parents of both.
John, Sr & Charles are coal miners.
Children, all born in IL:

Charles, 18 years old
John, 14
Peter, 13
Celia, 10
Stephen, 7

1920 Federal Census; surname recorded as "Pushcar"
John and "Vera" in the same town, with Stephen, now 17 and Amelia, 6 years old.

John immigrated in 1888 and Veronicka in 1893. They became naturalized citizens in 1896 and spoke English at home.

Illinois death information:

John Puscar born 11 May 1871 in Austria, died 30 Jun 1926, buried 3 July 1926, Cemetery: VIRDEN

Coal miner, living in Girard, Macoupin CO, IL

Father: Steve Puscar, born Austria
Mother: Julia Jurich, born Austria

John E. Roth, Jr., born about 1897 in IL, and Cecilia, born about 1900, are living in Virden, Ward 4, Macoupin Co, IL in the 1920 Census. No children are listed. John is a coal miner. Both list their parents as being born in Hungary.

On the same census page are John and Mary Roth. John is 56 and Mary is 58 years old. John immigrated in 1890 and Mary in 1892. Both are naturalized citizens, and both give their country of birth as Hungary. The census taker wrote Austria Hungary and marked through the Austria. John is a coal miner.

Death information for Veronicka: born 22 Jul 1873, Austria; died 1 Oct 1922, Girard, IL. Buried 3 Oct 1922, Virden. Father: John Bobchachick.

In 1930, John is living with John, Sr and Mary in Virden, with Steve, 16, and John, 9. The boys are John, Sr.'s grandsons and presumably John Jr.'s sons.

If the dates and locations seem correct, this appears to be your family!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-06-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy