U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 5,035,097 times

Advertisements

I took the AncestryDNA test primarily to link it to my Ancestry tree. I did not find the ethnicity section of Ancestry's results to be particularly illuminating, but I wasn't really interested in that aspect of it.

I've got a friend who has gotten a wild hair to take one of the tests, strictly for ethnicity purposes. He currently has no plans toward seriously researching his family ancestors. He's looking for something with results nicely summarized, not requiring a lot of thought process or further research on his part. Do any of the DNA test services stand out stronger in this area? Thanks for any feedback.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:25 AM

56 posts, read 39,188 times
Download your "raw data" from Ancestry dot com, and upload it to Gedmatch dot com. Page Redirection
Gedmatch has a bunch of free applications, such as the Eurogenes, etc. they are more precise.
Good luck

Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks, but as I said in my post, it's not for me and I'm not interested in the results. A friend wants to take a DNA test just for ethnicity purposes. He's looking for a recommendation for something that will be nicely summarized and not requiring further effort. Gedmatch doesn't sound like the best answer for him.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 AM

2,951 posts, read 4,890,598 times
DNA Tests for Ethnicity & Genealogical DNA testing | AncestryDNA

From site:
"When your results arrive, you'll see a breakdown of your ethnicity......."

Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM

9,614 posts, read 15,061,454 times
23andMe.com has the best ethnicity results, in my opinion. But it's $199 since they have re-added some health reports. If he doesn't want the "extras" (health reports, cousin matches, etc) then it's probably not a good deal for him. And even 23andMe isn't going to be totally accurate, no company will.

After 23andMe, I would recommend Ancestry.com. The third option is FamilyTreeDNA.com but they have the worst ethnicity results of the three. Don't even consider AncestryBYdna (not Ancestry.com), as they don't even use the latest technology like the other three companies do.

FTR, I do not necessarily agree that Gedmatch calculators are more precise.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
23andMe.com has the best ethnicity results, in my opinion.
Thanks for a very helpful and thoughtful response. I knew somebody would actually read my question sooner or later. Sounds like Ancestry may be his best choice. I doubt he wants to spring for $199. I appreciate your comments on FamilyTreeDNA. That was the one I was considering recommending but sounds like a bad choice for him. Tried to rep you but CD says I have to spread the luv first. Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
23andMe.com has the best ethnicity results, in my opinion. But it's $199 since they have re-added some health reports. If he doesn't want the "extras" (health reports, cousin matches, etc) then it's probably not a good deal for him. And even 23andMe isn't going to be totally accurate, no company will.

After 23andMe, I would recommend Ancestry.com. The third option is FamilyTreeDNA.com but they have the worst ethnicity results of the three. Don't even consider AncestryBYdna (not Ancestry.com), as they don't even use the latest technology like the other three companies do.

FTR, I do not necessarily agree that Gedmatch calculators are more precise.
I have Ancestry, FTDNA, Gedmatch and Promethease. To me Gedmatch is more precise and highly recommended.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair230 View Post
I have Ancestry, FTDNA, Gedmatch and Promethease. To me Gedmatch is more precise and highly recommended.
Gedmatch has dozens of different calculators, they can't all be more precise.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Gedmatch has dozens of different calculators, they can't all be more precise.
I find the Eurogenes Calculator very precise, check the new update.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair230 View Post
I find the Eurogenes Calculator very precise, check the new update.
I have. It has inaccurate trace regions too. The point is that it's an imprecise science. No matter how accurate one might seem, all it does it say "this portion of your DNA is most similar to our sample groups from this region".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy