Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:13 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I was surprised at that also. Her reaction was quick and prejudicial.

The tendency for people to hide or erase their pasts is so interesting and puzzling. The ways people choose to deal with pain never cease to amaze me.

These episodes really showed the effects of those decisions.
If you know about Mia Farrow, you will understand her knee jerk reaction to her grandmother being put in an institution after giving birth. Mia is fanatical about children. Between the children she has given birth to and the children she has adopted, they amount to fourteen. Her entire life is children and motherhood. She now works for UNICEF.

She has traveled the world, rescuing children. The children she has adopted have been of different races and most had disabilities but she loved them all and raised them well. That's who she IS! That's her life! You can read about her--it's a lot of reading to see what she's done.

So, of course she would have had a negative knee jerk reaction upon hearing what had happened to her grandmother. She did soften her assessment of her grandfather when they told her more and I think that's admirable. It's somewhat ironic that someone who has dedicated the last few decades of her life to helping children would have a grandmother who was institutionalized for having given birth--and died after a sad and young life--but that's the type of strange twists and turns that we come across in our searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,802,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Enjoyed the episode. Was excited to see Neil Patrick Harris is a distant cousin through William Farrar. One thing that is easy to miss is William Farrar is a gateway ancestor and leads to royalty (to King Edward III, though they only showed Edward I on the show) and that was the same gateway ancestor Bill Hader also had (making them distant cousins to eachother).

I have studied William Farrar a lot but was great to see it narrated on the show and caught some details I hadn't noticed before.

Very interesting episode of people who didn't really have much passed down about these significant ancestors of theirs. It seems odd probably for some, but for me it strikes home since I had little to nothing passed down and have had to dig it all up through genealogy. I had 10 ancestors who fought in the Civil War and never was told of one of them.

I wouldn't take the Neil witchcraft joking too seriously. If you are familiar with him he's a very big joker and involved in a lot of comedic things. It'd be like Stephen Colbert cracking a joke. I also am unsure how to take Neil's overall level responses, I don't think they were a lack of interest and were simply just how he tends to react (speculation of course).
I was just coming on here to see if anyone mentioned NPH's connection to William Farrar. My husband has traced his maternal grandfather's family back to him. We thought that was pretty cool. Sounds like we have a lot of new "cousins" from Mr. Farrar!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:52 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,289,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I was just coming on here to see if anyone mentioned NPH's connection to William Farrar. My husband has traced his maternal grandfather's family back to him. We thought that was pretty cool. Sounds like we have a lot of new "cousins" from Mr. Farrar!
Yes we do I'm a fan of both Bill Hader and NPH so was excited to see that.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,531,825 times
One of Mia's biological sons is supposedly the son of Frank Sinatra, the singer. She does not admit that he is the father nor does she deny it either. I always thought that was illogical.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
One of Mia's biological sons is supposedly the son of Frank Sinatra, the singer. She does not admit that he is the father nor does she deny it either. I always thought that was illogical.
Very weird, especially considering that she was married to him for about 3 years.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,792,470 times
The show wasn't on the other night? Is the season over? Or was it just my local PBS station and their fundraising again?

At least Who Do You Think You Are is coming back in a couple weeks, so we won't go thru too much withdrawal.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The show wasn't on the other night? Is the season over? Or was it just my local PBS station and their fundraising again?

At least Who Do You Think You Are is coming back in a couple weeks, so we won't go thru too much withdrawal.
Yeah, the Dustin Hoffman/Mia Farrow episode was the season finale.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,744,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Very weird, especially considering that she was married to him for about 3 years.
It is actually doubtful that Mia's son is Frank Sinatra's son.

Frank was super old when her son would have been conceived and during that time she was in a very long term relationship with Woody Allen, until he up and married her daughter! Frank's daughter also said her dad had had a vasectomy by the time Ronan (Mia's son) would have been conceived.

FWIW, I'm sure her son would rather have Frank as his father. He doesn't seem to like or respect Woody at all and has disparaged Woody on more than one occasion. IMO he looks like Mia.

Interesting that he was also a child genius. He entered college at only 10 years old! Mia does have a daughter (adopted) who she named Frankie, after Frank Sinatra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy