Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times

Advertisements

Well, I got back my 23andMe results and they were a bit different than I imagined. And I'm not a carrier of any of the genes they test for medical purposes.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to further crunch the raw data through one of the otgher DNA sites, or would I be wasting my time?

The 23and Me results:

Italian 39.1%
Balkan 3.4%
Iberian 2.9%
Broadly S. European 21.9%
British&Irish 4.4%
French & German 3.0%
Scandinavian .3%
Finnish .2%
Broadly NW European 12.7%
Broadly European 8%
South Asian 0%
East Asian and Native American .1%
Oceana 0%
Unassigned .2%
Middle East 2.7%
Broadly Middle East and North African .1%
Broadly Middle East and N. Africa
East African .1%

I also have some Neanderthal variants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
What is your ancestry?

Old 01-20-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
What is your ancestry?
Well, what I thought was one thing, but the results I got are not so specific, as you can see. It doesn't really matter, I guess, but it is rather interesting.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:15 PM

672 posts, read 502,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Well, what I thought was one thing, but the results I got are not so specific, as you can see. It doesn't really matter, I guess, but it is rather interesting.
You have to remember this is the DNA you inherited from your ancestors over 1000 years or so. The top which is Itlaian with 39% would be your main ancestry.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
You have to remember this is the DNA you inherited from your ancestors over 1000 years or so.
That's kind of a misleading statement - autosomal DNA is inherited from your parents, grandparents, etc. The ethnicity results can be more representative of about 1000 years ago. However, the ethnicity results are calculated by comparing your DNA to modern sample groups of people who say all four of their grandparents were from the same area so it's all very much an estimate to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's kind of a misleading statement - autosomal DNA is inherited from your parents, grandparents, etc. The ethnicity results can be more representative of about 1000 years ago. However, the ethnicity results are calculated by comparing your DNA to modern sample groups of people who say all four of their grandparents were from the same area so it's all very much an estimate to be taken with a grain of salt.
Sometime, when I don't have anything else to do, I'm going to upload my raw data to one of the other services and see if that makes any kind of difference.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:13 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Sometime, when I don't have anything else to do, I'm going to upload my raw data to one of the other services and see if that makes any kind of difference.
If you tested with 23andMe the only other services you can upload to are Gedmatch.com and/or DNA.land.

Gedmatch has multiple different admixture calculators you can use but you have to be careful because some are designed to be specific to a certain type of ethnicity (like African or Asia, etc), which can skew your results if you don't have recent ancestry in those regions. The calculators on Gedmatch do not necessarily have any more specific regions than 23andMe.

DNA.land don't have very specific categories - they're relatively new and don't break down their regions anymore than North/central Europe, Southern Europe, etc.

If you have Italian ancestry, especially southern Italian, it's not unusual to have some results in the Middle East or North Africa. It doesn't necessarily mean you have any recent Middle Eastern or African ancestors - it just means those groups are genetically similar and some of your DNA was most similar to their population clusters for that group. It could mean you have Middle Eastern/African ancestors, but probably not within a genealogical time frame.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:56 PM

When I decided to take the test, I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I was just curious, I guess. On 23andMe, I now have 1700+ DNA relatives.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Your genetic history can be quite different from your genealogical history because each parent contributes a random 50% of DNA rather than a carbon copy. I also did the 23andMe test. I Know that I have a great grandparents from Germany and from France, but my results indicate less than 2% French and German. Instead, I am Irish, Scandinavian and Northern European, so the German and French DNA, for the most part, did not get passed down. I have high percent matches in 23andMe who have a lot of Native American. This did not get passed to me, but they have a very high percent. This was through a single great grandmother who was Native American.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you tested with 23andMe the only other services you can upload to are Gedmatch.com and/or DNA.land.
You can transfer results to Family Tree DNA, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy