Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, I never said it doesn't happen - again, I was just trying to explain why you can't rely on/expect it to happen that way so the OP doesn't have unrealistic expectations.
BTW, this situation involves a somewhat distant cousin of mine, not my husband or my father. In my case, DNA just confirmed what I had always known; my dad is definitely my dad, not that I ever doubted that was the case for a second. It's pretty obvious even to the casual observer.

That said, genetics are a funny thing. Traits can seemingly show up out of nowhere, and an unusual look doesn't necessary mean there's a snake in the woodpile. I will admit, though, that this thread will keep me coming back for the DNA results. It will definitely be interesting to see what shows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER2 View Post
I am the first born child of four boys, and although I share some similar features with my brothers, I also have some very unique features that they do not have. The most obvious differences I have are slightly darker skin, thicker- darker hair (very dark brown/black), high cheekbones, and slightly thicker lips. I also am the only one of the four that cannot grow a thick-full beard.

I also don't look much like my father at all, although I do possibly resemble 2 of my uncles. As a child, I don't remember noticing any of this, or having anyone point it out. I do remember a teacher asking me if I was Italian and also another middle school kid asking me if I was Latin. I grew up in a small town where even if people had suspicions, they may not dare to ask. I am now 34 years old and the past few years I have had numerous comments and questions about my ethnicity.

I've had a few friends ask if my brothers and I are all from the same father after meeting my family. I had an old lady ask me if I was Italian, a Filipino woman ask if I was Indian or Filipino, and another 10 year old Filipino kid on a football team I was coaching, tell me that I was one of them. I've even had a woman,a complete stranger, approach me at a bank ask me what ethnicity I was!

All of this has got me thinking and starting to ask some questions myself! My father was a tall blonde man that from what I know came from a Finnish, Swedish, English, German background. My mother was adopted so I have limited info on her parents. I do have a few pictures though and they were supposedly Scottish. None of which would explain my looks.

My parents were married young after my mother became pregnant with me. They had only known each other 2 or 3 months. After doing a little research I realized that my mother grew up right next to a big Native American reservation and also went to school with many of them. She also admitted to having at least one Indian boyfriend at school but claimed that it was a couple of years before me. You can see where this is going. My father recently passed away and I feel a little guilty for entertaining this thought, but there has just been too many signs to ignore.

I could be completely wrong but I cant help but want to verify my ancestry. I am not quite ready just to ask her, so I decided to order a DNA test from ancestry.com and start with that. I received the kit and sent it back out about 2 weeks ago. I hope this gives me some sort of answer.

Anybody have any advice or had a similar situation?
My mother's mother was native american and Danish, her father was pure Norwegian. My mother was a twin. She was very dark skinned with brown eyes and dark hair, but her twin brother had blond hair and blue eyes.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 10,724 times
My results finally came in! Turns out that I am 100% European. 49% west Europe, 27% Ireland, 10% Iberian peninsula(Spain/Portugal), 8% Scandinavia, and a few other things. 0% Native American and 0% of any African. I guess maybe the 10% Iberian peninsula explains some of my features?

It still may not explain everything, but does seem to match the information I had on my immediate ancestors. I am amazed by and grateful for the DNA technology we have. Now when someone asks me about my ethnicity, I can give a definite answer!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Congrats on getting your results. What are your maternal and paternal haplogroups? If you look those up they will give you some information regarding what areas and the progress of the haplogroup as it migrated about.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
My results finally came in! Turns out that I am 100% European. 49% west Europe, 27% Ireland, 10% Iberian peninsula(Spain/Portugal), 8% Scandinavia, and a few other things. 0% Native American and 0% of any African. I guess maybe the 10% Iberian peninsula explains some of my features?
I really wouldn't assume that - I don't know where this idea that all darker/larger features must come from some more exotic source (like the Mediterranean), as though such features don't exist in more northern parts of Europe. Northern Europe is just where lighter features are more prominent, it doesn't mean it's unusual to find people with darker/larger features from these regions. My mom is 100% British, Norwegian, and German (confirmed by both paper trail and DNA) but she has dark hair, dark eyes, and tans easily. I lived in England for 8 years and trust me, there's plenty of native people there and in other northern parts of Europe who not only have dark features but also thick lips, big noses, thick curly hair, etc.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Congrats on getting your results. What are your maternal and paternal haplogroups? If you look those up they will give you some information regarding what areas and the progress of the haplogroup as it migrated about.
The OP took Ancestry.com's autosomal DNA test, which does not provide haplogroups.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
I am 32 percent African and don't look particularly African,you can see my pictures.I'm sure I read that only a little DNA codes for appearance (not sure how true that is).
But more importantly the DNA they test in these tests is from non coding regions, they use to call it junk DNA.I don't know if they still do it that way.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I am the first born child of four boys, and although I share some similar features with my brothers, I also have some very unique features that they do not have. The most obvious differences I have are slightly darker skin, thicker- darker hair (very dark brown/black), high cheekbones, and slightly thicker lips. I also am the only one of the four that cannot grow a thick-full beard.

I also don't look much like my father at all, although I do possibly resemble 2 of my uncles. As a child, I don't remember noticing any of this, or having anyone point it out. I do remember a teacher asking me if I was Italian and also another middle school kid asking me if I was Latin. I grew up in a small town where even if people had suspicions, they may not dare to ask. I am now 34 years old and the past few years I have had numerous comments and questions about my ethnicity.

I've had a few friends ask if my brothers and I are all from the same father after meeting my family. I had an old lady ask me if I was Italian, a Filipino woman ask if I was Indian or Filipino, and another 10 year old Filipino kid on a football team I was coaching, tell me that I was one of them. I've even had a woman,a complete stranger, approach me at a bank ask me what ethnicity I was!

All of this has got me thinking and starting to ask some questions myself! My father was a tall blonde man that from what I know came from a Finnish, Swedish, English, German background. My mother was adopted so I have limited info on her parents. I do have a few pictures though and they were supposedly Scottish. None of which would explain my looks.

My parents were married young after my mother became pregnant with me. They had only known each other 2 or 3 months. After doing a little research I realized that my mother grew up right next to a big Native American reservation and also went to school with many of them. She also admitted to having at least one Indian boyfriend at school but claimed that it was a couple of years before me. You can see where this is going. My father recently passed away and I feel a little guilty for entertaining this thought, but there has just been too many signs to ignore.

I could be completely wrong but I cant help but want to verify my ancestry. I am not quite ready just to ask her, so I decided to order a DNA test from ancestry.com and start with that. I received the kit and sent it back out about 2 weeks ago. I hope this gives me some sort of answer.

Anybody have any advice or had a similar situation?
You really should get more people tested, maybe an uncle on your dads side, then test your mom and siblings.

I'm the only child that's blond with gray blue eyes. My older and younger sisters both have brown hair and eyes like my father.

My mother and her sister are blond, I'm not sure if my aunt has hazel eyes like my mother or gray blue eyes like me and her daughter. Her daughter has hair and coloring like my siblings.

There was always jealousy that I was the tall skinny blond. Fast forward to age 40, my dad is diagnosed with terminal Leukemia, I'm going to be tested to donate stem cells when I find out she cheated on him when she got preg with me. I'm the only one to work at the family business from age 11, so we were always close. While my testing came back that I was a match to him, the older sibling started rumors saying they wouldn't use me because I didn't match when the truth was my sugar was in the 400's (no one told me not to eat skittles) and something with my kidney. No matter how much I begged and cried he refused to do a DNA paternity test, said it didn't matter to him. He finally gave in, died 2 hours after giving his DNA to a nurse that came out. He paid over $600 to do the court legal test. Even though it came back that he's my father, they're so petty to say I made the results on my computer.

Quote:
Well there is actually a little more to my story. One of my three brothers passed away about 8 years ago. He was the only one of us who really looked like my father and actually looked exactly like him. When he died, his girlfriend was pregnant with his child.

After the child was born the girlfriend signed up to get my brothers social security benefits. Since they were not married, a DNA test was required. They first tested my parents to prove that it was their grandchild, then all of us brothers had to be tested to prove that the child was not from any of us.

I have the 3 paternity DNA tests from myself and my brothers, but not from my parents. From what I can tell, one of us definitely has a different father, but it's impossible to tell which one of us it is. I'm trying not to stir up too much trouble or speculation without any further prove of who it is. My brothers don't seem too interested anyway, or maybe just don't want to know.

I am the only one really interested in genealogy. You both have a good point though. If my test comes back and I am anything else besides Caucasian, I think that it will give me a good starting point, or a good conversation starter. I just got an email a month later saying that it will be another 6-8 weeks before I get any results.
I've never heard of social security doing so many tests. Do you know what company did the testing? Was it DNA Diagnostics? Do you know what happened to the paperwork?

God forbid something happen like with my dad. You really need to know if it is you that has different paternity. Your life may depend on it. Have you ever looked at any of your birth certificates? Do you think your mother would answer questions?

Quote:

It still may not explain everything, but does seem to match the information I had on my immediate ancestors. I am amazed by and grateful for the DNA technology we have. Now when someone asks me about my ethnicity, I can give a definite answer!
Have you looked to see what kind of cousin matches you have?

Old 12-22-2016, 06:00 PM

11 posts, read 10,724 times
Wow. That is quite a story. Sounds like you have some really really cool siblings! I appreciate your response to this thread and the advice. When I first received the results I was more focused on ethnicity, and didn't look too much into the DNA matches, but I recently had a little more time to look into it. It's kind of a long story but after looking at the matches and actually just a few days of heavy research, I found what I was really looking for. First I eliminated the possibility of my Dad being my biological father and then started to narrow down the possibilities of who my father may be. This was a very lengthy process so when I got pretty close I finally then presented the information to my mother. She actually still tried to deny it until I explained to her that the evidence was overwhelming. She finally told me! Not sure it was the exact truth but it was the right guy. I have actually spoken to him and I'm in the process of setting up a meeting.

Even though I kind of always knew, it was and is a little mind boggling. Not exactly sure how to deal with it but I do want to get to know him. Turns out I have 3 other half siblings as well. I have already seen pictures and it is definitely a new thing for me to see so many people that do look like me. Someone who hasn't experienced this may take that for granted, but it's kind of weird and exciting for me. My Mother seems very upset that I have uncovered this and not too sympathetic. Our relationship has kind of gone down hill a bit even though I expressed no anger over it. I'm okay with it and realize how these things happen. Honestly, some statistics have shown that anywhere from 10 to 30 percent of kids are fathered by someone other than the man they think is their Dad. With modern technology, curious minds will discover more and more of this. Not sure what this says about our society but I'm just glad I was able to figure it out. I would recommend DNA tests for anyone in question, but be prepared for what you may find.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:46 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Wow. That is quite a story. Sounds like you have some really really cool siblings! I appreciate your response to this thread and the advice. When I first received the results I was more focused on ethnicity, and didn't look too much into the DNA matches, but I recently had a little more time to look into it. It's kind of a long story but after looking at the matches and actually just a few days of heavy research, I found what I was really looking for. First I eliminated the possibility of my Dad being my biological father and then started to narrow down the possibilities of who my father may be. This was a very lengthy process so when I got pretty close I finally then presented the information to my mother. She actually still tried to deny it until I explained to her that the evidence was overwhelming. She finally told me! Not sure it was the exact truth but it was the right guy. I have actually spoken to him and I'm in the process of setting up a meeting.

Even though I kind of always knew, it was and is a little mind boggling. Not exactly sure how to deal with it but I do want to get to know him. Turns out I have 3 other half siblings as well. I have already seen pictures and it is definitely a new thing for me to see so many people that do look like me. Someone who hasn't experienced this may take that for granted, but it's kind of weird and exciting for me. My Mother seems very upset that I have uncovered this and not too sympathetic. Our relationship has kind of gone down hill a bit even though I expressed no anger over it. I'm okay with it and realize how these things happen. Honestly, some statistics have shown that anywhere from 10 to 30 percent of kids are fathered by someone other than the man they think is their Dad. With modern technology, curious minds will discover more and more of this. Not sure what this says about our society but I'm just glad I was able to figure it out. I would recommend DNA tests for anyone in question, but be prepared for what you may find.
Am not fully awake, wow, so similar to what happened to me.

Glad you got the truth! I don't know why your mother got upset, IMO it shouldn't have been a secret. This is your life, I told the story of my dad's cancer because one day you may need your life saved like him, it wouldn't be fair if it came out while you're sick. Had you not done this, she probably would have taken it to her grave.

I don't get why they don't care since it is our lives they messed with. If I kept something like this from my kid, I'd be apologizing, I got none of that, sounds like you didn't either. How old are you? I was 40 when I found out

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-23-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy