Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 PM

510 posts, read 500,374 times

Advertisements

Different haplogroups (which is what they measure) can have natural variances or mutations that occur within groups, and occasionally can show up in ethic groups located a great distance away, sometimes to the point where mixing would have been highly unlikely or impossible. This is found most evidently in the peculiar case of a Native American group having a similar haplogroup to Europeans (not due to recent mixing). While romantic theories of prehistoric contact are made, the actually (boring) culprit is a natural haplogroup variance.

In due time we might be able to drill into them to better figure out which group goes where, but for now these tests shouldn't be the sole means of determining ethnic ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 AM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Don't worry, they have a small margin of error. Sometimes is just "noise"
But I believe your results are ok.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Different haplogroups (which is what they measure) can have natural variances or mutations that occur within groups, and occasionally can show up in ethic groups located a great distance away, sometimes to the point where mixing would have been highly unlikely or impossible. This is found most evidently in the peculiar case of a Native American group having a similar haplogroup to Europeans (not due to recent mixing). While romantic theories of prehistoric contact are made, the actually (boring) culprit is a natural haplogroup variance.

In due time we might be able to drill into them to better figure out which group goes where, but for now these tests shouldn't be the sole means of determining ethnic ancestry.
The ethnicity reports have nothing to do with haplogroups. They use autosomal DNA, which does not have haplogroups. Haplogroups come from Y-DNA and mtDNA. Totally different types of DNA.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM

510 posts, read 500,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The ethnicity reports have nothing to do with haplogroups. They use autosomal DNA, which does not have haplogroups. Haplogroups come from Y-DNA and mtDNA. Totally different types of DNA.
That would certainly explain the numbers the OP is seeing then.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:13 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
In addition, a couple can have 6 kids, the numbers will not be the same on any of them just based upon how the genes line up. We often see families where the kids hardly resemble each other, but they are brothers and sisters.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 489 times
I'm confused! Our family had heard all of our lives (from my grandfather), that My maternal great great grandmother was half Cherokee(Mom) and half caucasian (Dad), and my great great grandfather was 100% Madagascan. My grandfather, while growing up, was actually told this by his grandmother. (My great great grandmother)! We actually have a picture of her, and she does have what would be considered native american features, with very fair skin. My grandfather, and his daughter (my mom) has similar features. And, quite a few people have asked do we have "Indian" in our family? However, when we did the DNA test from Ancestry, neither my mom, myself, or my 2 older daughters showed any native american "Indian" DNA. But, my half brother (from Mom) showed 1% native american, and my youngest daughter showed a trace amount

Old 05-26-2019, 08:21 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Lynne View Post
I'm confused! Our family had heard all of our lives (from my grandfather), that My maternal great great grandmother was half Cherokee(Mom) and half caucasian (Dad), and my great great grandfather was 100% Madagascan. My grandfather, while growing up, was actually told this by his grandmother. (My great great grandmother)! We actually have a picture of her, and she does have what would be considered native american features, with very fair skin. My grandfather, and his daughter (my mom) has similar features. And, quite a few people have asked do we have "Indian" in our family? However, when we did the DNA test from Ancestry, neither my mom, myself, or my 2 older daughters showed any native american "Indian" DNA. But, my half brother (from Mom) showed 1% native american, and my youngest daughter showed a trace amount
Happens all the time. Families pass down incorrect information and it always seems to be Indian and when it is Indian it seems to always be Cherokee. They usually have a picture of an ancestor that looks Indian.

Henry Louis Gates covered this in one of his shows.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Lynne View Post
That's not unusual. For one thing, your 2nd great grandmother might have been less Native American than she thought - lots of people are. So if your last full blooded ancestor was from further back than you thought, it's entirely possible that your family didn't inherit any identifiable Native American DNA. It's also possible she wasn't actually Native American at all - unless you have verifiable documentation of it, it's a common scenario for people to have family stories about Native American ancestry which just isn't true. Keep in mind as well, the ethnicity report is only an estimate and it's best not to take it literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy