Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."

Know yourself and where your people came from, genealogy or not, and you'll understand the world a great deal better.
And if you don't know, it is a serious disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
The Greeks in Chicago (as well as other areas of the U.S.) embrace and celebrate their Greek culture and Eastern Orthodox religion. They raise their children in the culture and time honored traditions of their particular regional area where they come from. They name their children after their parents and they baptize them into the Greek Orthodox faith. Because education is VERY important to the people of Hellas they typically send their children to Greek classes to formally learn the Greek language although the parents LEARN AND SPEAK English, as do their children, they insist that the children learn to read, write, and speak proper Greek. They also learn Greek customs and traditions, culture (traditional Greek dances as well as recitations of poetry and singing of songs) and the rich and glorious history of Greece.
I'm glad they do. With such a beautiful and unique culture, it should be retained. And what would we do without our cities' annual Greek festivals?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."

Know yourself and where your people came from, genealogy or not, and you'll understand the world a great deal better.
No offense, but "genealogy" and history are quite different things. Knowing more @ my particular ancestry would have no impact on the world, as I can't even fathom factoring ancestry into day to day life.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I am not going to read this whole thread because the 1st page was enough. I am the sum total of all of my past ancestors. I enjoy learning about where I came from, the search is worth it in of itself for me and I am not trying to connect with royalty somewhere. I don't give a rats ass what someone thinks in another country or this country, for that matter, about why or the sensibility of what I am doing in seeking out my history.

In fact, why are the people who think it is stupid or useless or silly to be researching your ancestors even doing on a genealogy forum ?

I have known several people who joined ethnic society, participated in the Highland games, etc, and had a wonderful time. Bah on the people who try and rain on your parade. And, yes, I do think there may be something to the "tribal memory" theory but it is all in good fun......

Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM

40 posts, read 151,326 times
so what, i'm mixed too, i enjoy searching for records of my ancestors.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 AM

231 posts, read 333,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm glad they do. With such a beautiful and unique culture, it should be retained. And what would we do without our cities' annual Greek festivals?
I think greek-americans in general are probably one of the biggest success stories in terms of retaining culture but also being pro american at the same time.

Here in Australia most consider themselves Greek only, the immigrants despite being here for decades can hardly speak a word of English, my parents have been here 40 years and cant...yet my uncles and aunts in New York speak fluent Greek and English having immigrated there roughly the same time my parents came to Australia.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Some think there may be genetic memory genes, or a collective memory, memories that are encoded into an ethnic or national group over a period of hundreds of years or longer, but you can only inherit someone's memories in sci fi or fantasy.

I notice a lot of people are attracted to the rascals and scoundrels in their ancestry. You know, if you really met them, you probably wouldn't like them, and they'd most likely rob you blind. Robin Hood and dashing rakes with a hidden heart of gold exist in novels.
I think your screen name sums up this post.....LOL. I think everyone knows these things, we are just having fun with the fantasy of it. Lighten up, please...<s>

Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
As a black American, I think ancestory is useless. I'm not sure why black Americans scramble to identify with Africa. I see Africa, and to be honest I don't particularly care for it. When I hear of ethnic clensing, racism, tribalism, child soldiers, genocide, and clitoral mutilation rituals, I just can' get with that. And no every African is like that, and not every tribe is either. But whether my direct ancestors were of that tribe or not is a guess for me anyway.

After I read about Africa, talked to Africans, and got a view of their mindset, I have come to realize that I simply have less in common with an African than I have with a white American. Let's be honest, white and black people are brothers in the same house. We're the two older brothers, and we fight all the time. But let's be real, we've been in it together the longest, and when push come to shove their is an unspoken and often denied connection between us. We have the same American culture. you talk to anyone from another country about how America does thing, and black and white Americans "get it". I'm a black man, but I just ridiculously American to the core. If anyone ever told me I was going back to Africa, you better believe it will be kicking and screaming. I traced my ancestory, and my family has been in America since the 1740s! I can't deny how freakin American that is. Many black Americans are similar.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
You think ancestry is useless? You're not even interested in your ancestors who lived here in the US? Even if you aren't interested in Africa, why no interest in your American ancestors? I just trace my family history back on each branch until I see where the family came to the US (or the colonies), but I have little interest in the ones in the families once they're no longer in the US. Not sure why. Maybe I just don't want to pay the higher rate on ancestry for international records.

I do agree with you about not having interest in the "old countries" where my ancestors come from. I have notes in my family tree where this one came over from England, and that one came over from Sweden, but I don't try to trace farther back. Like you, I feel little connection to those ancestors, but I feel a deep connection to the ones who lived in the US. Once I hit someone who came over here fromn someplace else, I treat them like they hatched from an egg from space or something.

That might change in the future, who knows. But I don't relate to all the "I'm Italian" "I'm Russian," or "I'm Irish" stuff you hear from Americans who have been here for generations.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You think ancestry is useless? You're not even interested in your ancestors who lived here in the US? Even if you aren't interested in Africa, why no interest in your American ancestors? I just trace my family history back on each branch until I see where the family came to the US (or the colonies), but I have little interest in the ones in the families once they're no longer in the US. Not sure why. Maybe I just don't want to pay the higher rate on ancestry for international records.

I do agree with you about not having interest in the "old countries" where my ancestors come from. I have notes in my family tree where this one came over from England, and that one came over from Sweden, but I don't try to trace farther back. Like you, I feel little connection to those ancestors, but I feel a deep connection to the ones who lived in the US. Once I hit someone who came over here fromn someplace else, I treat them like they hatched from an egg from space or something.

That might change in the future, who knows. But I don't relate to all the "I'm Italian" "I'm Russian," or "I'm Irish" stuff you hear from Americans who have been here for generations.
I agree to a point - I did the same thing until I started studying how those ancestors got here - some very very interesting, heart warming, and sometimes tragic stories - great history there. I followed one guy from the border regions of France and Germany up the Rhine River to the Netherlands over to England and then to America. The story itslef could be a great movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy