Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 AM

72 posts, read 133,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I think ancestry is very important to Americans who's families have lived here for centuries.The WASPS,Blue Bloods,High Society-whatever you want to call them.
Both of my mom's parents have colonial lines easily found on-line and through family associations. I figure they'll always be there and spend time tracking my direct lesser knowns - the musician from England, the boarding house proprietress from Newfoundland, the gardener from Scotland, etc.

I suppose the ethnicity makes me rather WASPy but I assure you, I'm not high society (lol).
I started doing this because the stories on mom's side were all over the place and anytime I asked for clarification I was referred to someone else who "probably knows more about it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
What do you think?

My view:

Nowadays, we're all mutts.
America is full of immigrants and children of immigrants. Depending on what part of the world we emigrated from it can be very common for us to have a distinct, often singular ethnic background. Unless you are saying that we are not Americans, then your statement is very inaccurate.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
What do you think?

My view:

Nowadays, we're all mutts. And if not, we're all pure Americans. We have established our own way of life, our own culture. Sure, festivities will take place for a day or two here and there, but many Americans use that as an excuse to get out of the house for a while, not to embrace and thank the people that came before you on Earth. We watch MTV, we call McDonald's "going out to eat," we barbecue, and we watch football (the American one).

100 years ago, ancestry may have been a little important, but even then you're in a new country, a diverse one, and you do the same hard labor as the next guy. Now, everybody is one big race... For all I know, my ancestry is Irish, British, Chinese, African, Mexican, Arabian, Turkish, Swiss, Russian, and Italian. With such a large family, I don't see why it's not possible... But who cares? My grandparents are from Naples, Italy... I'd love to go there, but I don't live like that, I live like an American... Well, more like a New Yorker. I watch the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and Knicks... I watch ESPN, MTV, the YES Network (Yankees channel), and MSG. I listen to hip hop and some rock, etc. and I love walking.

Ancestry is really becoming a meaningless sidenote in America today. We're mutts. lol We like to call ourselves Irish, Italian, or German but we're now just Americans.
I don't think ancestry is a "sidenote" at all. My ancestry and heritage are very important to me. What is an "American?" It's essentially nothing. You can be German and Norwegian (like I am) but no one would ever say "I'm half American and half Irish." I live in America, that's my geographical location, but my blood, ancestry and lineage is from Europe. I support everyone researching their roots and finding out where they came from and what makes them who they are.

For what it's worth, watching ESPN and American football don't make one an "American" as millions of people around the globe watch those. Baseball is a global game as is basketball so loving baseball and basketball teams (especially the Yankees who are truly a global team akin to Manchester United) don't really make one uniquely "American."

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
America is full of immigrants and children of immigrants. Depending on what part of the world we emigrated from it can be very common for us to have a distinct, often singular ethnic background. Unless you are saying that we are not Americans, then your statement is very inaccurate.
I agree. My lineage is pretty straightforward. I'm German, Norwegian, and English. My wife is a pure European mutt but my ancestry, and many of the people from where I came from have pretty straight forward ancestries. While some celebrate the one "global family and race" I don't. I think we lose something beautiful when we drown out the cultures and ancestries we came from. True diversity, true multiculturalism happens when many cultures and many people flourish. One global race sounds boring. I enjoy the vibrancy and distinctness of every culture and region of the world.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I think ancestry is very important to Americans who's families have lived here for centuries.The WASPS,Blue Bloods,High Society-whatever you want to call them.
I think that's certainly wrong. Ancestry is very important to me but I'm far from "high society."

Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I also disagree that WASPs are interchangeable with "blue bloods" or "high society."
I'm definitely a WASP, but certainly not blue blooded or in high society.

I also think you can be a WASP, and still be a bit of a mongrel or "mutt." For example, I have mostly English heritage, but also Scottish, Scots-Irish, Irish, Welsh, in addition to Swedish, Dutch, and German. None of these except the English is technically "Anglo-Saxon." But since my family are all pale and light-haired, and very few in my family have been Catholics (and they of course, were shunned ) and my ancestors that are "newest" to the USA came over 100 years ago, we are pretty much seen as WASPs.

But ancestry and family history research is still very important, even though I don't find all kinds of exciting, exotic nationalities in there.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
As an immigrant I think it's a wee bit silly. I've met people who've told me they're Swedish and say "great, var i Sverige kommer du ifran?" and I get "huh?". They have no clue that I asked them where in Sweden they're from but yet they claim to be Swedish. They're not. They're American who may have had some distant family who came from Sweden. But what's wrong with that?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
As an immigrant I think it's a wee bit silly. I've met people who've told me they're Swedish and say "great, var i Sverige kommer du ifran?" and I get "huh?". They have no clue that I asked them where in Sweden they're from but yet they claim to be Swedish. They're not. They're American who may have had some distant family who came from Sweden. But what's wrong with that?
It's just a short way of saying their ancestry is Swedish. I don't understand why people have to get their panties in a bunch about it.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Oh gosh, don't be "bored" by the fact that your family immigrated to the U.S. in the mid 1600s! That's wonderful! My husband's family too immigrated here in the early-mid 1600s. In my opinion, it makes the story even more fascinating. Can you imagine what an adventure, and how scary it would have been to move to the U.S. before the wave of major infrastructure and industry developments? Moving to the U.S. in the 1600s was virtually entering 'uncharted waters' for the majority of immigrants- instead of entering the hustle and bustle of New York in the 1800s-early 1900s, it was entering a place vast and far removed from the cities and lifestyles they were accustomed to in Europe. It would have been a very, very brave thing to do!

Where did your family immigrate from? Most of my husband's family immigrated from England, but a couple of lines also came from Holland. Maybe my husband's family and yours are related, or at least the ancestors may have known each other!

My mother's father's side came from Germany, I understand they got kicked out for shooting the king's dog My mother's mother's side came from Scotland, via Ireland. Apparently they got kicked out, too. They were Presbyterian ministers, who wanted to extend voting rights in the congregation. Well, the head folks didn't like that, so, ran them out! They, too, made their way to Pennsylvania.

My father's side is more vague. I can trace them with 100% accuracy back 3 generations, then they just fade away, back into the hills of Appalachia....

Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I think that's certainly wrong. Ancestry is very important to me but I'm far from "high society."

It is important to them. I didn't say anything about you. Ever hear of DAR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy