Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

DAR does not seem to be concerned about a person being a WASP, just that they have documented connection to someone who partcipated in the Revolution. Actor Rob Lowe was on who Do You Think You Are recently, and he was invited by the DAR to join SAR because of his relation to a Hessian soldier who later became a US citizen. I wouldn't consider a Hessian a WASP.

I'm sure they have members of all kinds of non-WASP descent. They even have members of African descent, as long as they can show ancestors who fought in the Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maeday View Post
Both of my mom's parents have colonial lines easily found on-line and through family associations. I figure they'll always be there and spend time tracking my direct lesser knowns - the musician from England, the boarding house proprietress from Newfoundland, the gardener from Scotland, etc.

I suppose the ethnicity makes me rather WASPy but I assure you, I'm not high society (lol).
I started doing this because the stories on mom's side were all over the place and anytime I asked for clarification I was referred to someone else who "probably knows more about it".

Don't get me wrong-there is nothing wrong with being a WASP. I am a WASP-not High Society.
Actually though today's Society were not when they came here. It is only after 10s of generations that they have become the "dynastic" Americans if there is such a thing.

Last edited by 8635angelvalley; 07-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
DAR does not seem to be concerned about a person being a WASP, just that they have documented connection to someone who partcipated in the Revolution. Actor Rob Lowe was on who Do You Think You Are recently, and he was invited by the DAR to join SAR because of his relation to a Hessian soldier who later became a US citizen. I wouldn't consider a Hessian a WASP.

I'm sure they have members of all kinds of non-WASP descent. They even have members of African descent, as long as they can show ancestors who fought in the Revolution.
And Native Americans:

http://www.dar.org/library/publicati...92237-13-2.pdf

Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
It is important to them. I didn't say anything about you. Ever hear of DAR?
I could belong to the DAR. My grandmother and her sisters and further back did. Mom refused due to politics. I want to see their records, since it would help resolve some conflicts, but not a joiner either. But I still think its really neat I could.

Anything different about that and someone in 'high society?'

And if your ancestor arrived as in indentured servant, and fought as cannon fodder you can still join. Its not about a gentry but the ansestors who fought in the revolution.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I could belong to the DAR. My grandmother and her sisters and further back did. Mom refused due to politics. I want to see their records, since it would help resolve some conflicts, but not a joiner either. But I still think its really neat I could.

Anything different about that and someone in 'high society?'

And if your ancestor arrived as in indentured servant, and fought as cannon fodder you can still join. Its not about a gentry but the ansestors who fought in the revolution.

Have you watched Who Do You Think You Are? I think it is on NBC maybe Friday nights. They take some celeb and trace their genealogy back as far as they can. Lionel Ritchie was great. Helen Hunt too,. Check it out I think you would like it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
How much does it cost to join DAR? Do you have to pay recurring fees to maintain membership? What are the advantages of DAR?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
As an immigrant I think it's a wee bit silly. I've met people who've told me they're Swedish and say "great, var i Sverige kommer du ifran?" and I get "huh?". They have no clue that I asked them where in Sweden they're from but yet they claim to be Swedish. They're not. They're American who may have had some distant family who came from Sweden. But what's wrong with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's just a short way of saying their ancestry is Swedish. I don't understand why people have to get their panties in a bunch about it.
Exactly. We could say they mean Swedish-American, though some people would object to hyphenated terms, too. Each immigrant group becomes its own unique culture. In this case, it's the descendants of Swedes who came to America. They may not be as Swedish as a Swede, but they're a lot more Swedish than anyone's whose ancestors came from other countries.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
As for blue-blooded and WASP issues: I think these types of criticisms are leveled by people who feel inadequate or fear their ancestry might reveal their family backgrounds to be less than exalted. They need not worry. Everyone has ancestors of humble circumstances. Members of SAR/DAR have an ancestor who fought in the revolution, whether WASP or not, whether well-off or desperately poor and any status in between. Some people enjoy genealogy. Get over it.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I always felt that the variety of ancestors that I found made my ancestry MEANINGFUL, not meaningless..

How boring would it be if all my ancestors were from one culture, country, even city!!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I always felt that the variety of ancestors that I found made my ancestry MEANINGFUL, not meaningless..

How boring would it be if all my ancestors were from one culture, country, even city!!
It IS boring. As I've mentioned, I'm English/Australian/American (my family immigrated from the UK to Australia in the early-mid 20th Century, I immigrated to the U.S. 7 years back). My problem is, my family tree, no matter WHAT way I follow it- they're ALL from the same few counties in England. All pretty standard Middle Class folk (Lawyers, Engineers, Accountants, etc)- but it's become so insanely dull. Sure, it makes it easy to follow the history in real life, because a visit or two to libraries in the relevant counties in the South of England and a look at the records and microfilms make it simple to put the tree together... but it also makes it BORING. Seriously, my family seemingly didn't move more than a few miles from about the 400s onwards (I guess the strain that moved to Australia, and then the fact that me and the majority of my extended family moved from Australia either to the U.S. or back to the UK within the last 10 years are kind of making up for it). But really, how dull is that?

My husband's family tree has roots dating back within the U.S. to the early 1600s, and prior to that to England and Holland, and prior to that to France, Norway, Iceland and Denmark. It's FAR more exciting!

American heritage and ancestry is nothing to be sniffed at. It's something to be proud of. It's far, far, far from meaningless.

My husband isn't interested in joining the SAR (he's definitely eligible), but if/when we have children, the SAR / DAR would definitely be something I'd want them to be a part of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy