Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the original Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker? Every year the descendants of the twins attend a reunion at the small rural town in North Carolina where the twins and their family lived. Hundreds attend, and you wouldn't be able to tell they were descendants of the Siamese twins. Just regular folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
DAR does not seem to be concerned about a person being a WASP, just that they have documented connection to someone who partcipated in the Revolution. Actor Rob Lowe was on who Do You Think You Are recently, and he was invited by the DAR to join SAR because of his relation to a Hessian soldier who later became a US citizen. I wouldn't consider a Hessian a WASP.

I'm sure they have members of all kinds of non-WASP descent. They even have members of African descent, as long as they can show ancestors who fought in the Revolution.
I had ancestors in the Revolution, but unfortunately it can't be documented, unless DNA could prove it. My ancestors didn't keep the best records, especially since they mostly lived in rural areas. I had other ancestors who came to America from England after the Revolution, so I wonder if any of them fought on the British side.

I have nothing against the DAR, of course, but I don't think I could ever be a member. I understand why they are so strict on who they let in.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyone familiar with the original Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker? Every year the descendants of the twins attend a reunion at the small rural town in North Carolina where the twins and their family lived. Hundreds attend, and you wouldn't be able to tell they were descendants of the Siamese twins. Just regular folk.
Well, I'd take exception to Mt. Airy being described as "small and rural" It's a decent sized town located at the foot of the Blue Ridge. And as prominent as the town is for being the home of Andy Griffith, few seem to recognized the celebrity of Chang and Eng, though a double bridge located and highway 601 was named for the them. It crosses a creek that divided their home sites.

Eng & Chang Bunker: A Hyphenated Life - Favorite Articles - Archive

Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 AM

72 posts, read 133,227 times
One of Chang & Eng descendents brought their famous stool to Antiques Roadshow not long ago.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So nice to see them all, um, sticking together.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM

568 posts, read 961,908 times
Family reunions are soooo fun!!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
So nice to see them all, um, sticking together.

The twins had class, refinement, intelligence---all characteristics I would be proud to find in an ancestor.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
I'm mostly PA Dutch (German) My dad and his family even spoke the dialect. My family (on my dad's side) have been in the country since 1720 and I'm the first generation that doesn't speak the family's native tongue.
And yes, I'm a proud German -American

Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 AM

21 posts, read 46,935 times
My parents are from the Caribbean, but I feel 100% American. Don't speak the language, but I know every location and even the layout of my parents' village. Recognizing and taking part in your culture is important, but from my perspective, it should not be consuming. I meet people of different cultures and ethnicities that feel they must uphold or protect their kind, when really, their race is just a mix of many others that we today are not aware of. And I meet those who enjoy sharing elements of their culture and exposing me to a greater appreciation for people and the basis of our nation.

Even so, I feel more as a homogenized American than some whatever-American trying to pass off as ethnic (not taking any shots at anyone, but I just feel that having roots to an ethnic group doesn't make you ethnic. I have French and British in my blood, yet I am neither).

To some degree, I feel that whenever we talk about hyphenated Americans, we operate in the realm of White and the "rest" ideology. Isn't Black history just as American as the "white history" of the founding fathers? Weren't the interred Japanese Americans during WW2 just as American history as the revolutionaries? Why must we differentiate? Textbooks and websites treat us as separate, blacks, hispanics, whites, asians, live in their own realms, and only mingle to point out differences and oddities, such as ethic concentrations of poverty, crime rates and education levels, which go to separate us with stereotypes and generalizations. (Off topic, sry) Sure, there are trends that prove hispanics and blacks are poorer and have lower education levels than whites and asians, but what about the idea that none of those trends have to become a way of viewing ourselves. A lot of my people my age in some manner do apply elements of stereotyping to themselves, even me, based on what we hear. I'd say, to a slight degree, screw our ancestry,500 years ago there was no Black, German, Mexican, Filipino, so why hold on now. What really stays the same is the qualities we value, loyalty, love, respect, honor and duty. Why not promote those instead.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
There's nothing wrong with trying to keep your ethnic and cultural identity a part of your overall sense of being. Its pathetic today that people look to define themselves by the sports team they like, the music they like, the city in which they live or what they own. Its okay to identify and to support your family ancestry, regional heritage, a particular religion, culture or ethnicity and to even prefer it over others. Just as long as you don't try to put others down or hold yours up as superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy