Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I'm mostly PA Dutch (German) My dad and his family even spoke the dialect. My family (on my dad's side) have been in the country since 1720 and I'm the first generation that doesn't speak the family's native tongue.
And yes, I'm a proud German -American
It's interesting that you're proud of your heritage yet the first generation to not speak the language. Would you like to learn it? I have colonial PA Mennonite heritage as well (one arrived as early as 1685 but most of the others immigrated between 1701 and 1730) but it ended with my 2nd great grandfather who converted to Methodism during the Third Great Awakening. His son, my great grandfather, would have been the first generation to not speak the language. I would have loved to have seen the language continued to pass down though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
I think I have a few too many mixes to really feel "Proud" of any one of them-Scottish, German, French, Mexican, Itallian, English, Spanish. When someone says they're a Proud Black man or woman or they proclaim they are Proud of being Irish or Italian I really don't quite get it. I guess I can identify with being a proud American but I don't really feel its the same?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 PM

164 posts, read 334,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
DAR does not seem to be concerned about a person being a WASP, just that they have documented connection to someone who partcipated in the Revolution.

I'm sure they have members of all kinds of non-WASP descent. They even have members of African descent, as long as they can show ancestors who fought in the Revolution.
This may be the case now but it was not so for a long time. The DAR has a far less than exceptional history when admitting non-whites and was pretty enthusiastic about promoting the "Anglo-Saxon race."

Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's interesting that you're proud of your heritage yet the first generation to not speak the language. Would you like to learn it? I have colonial PA Mennonite heritage as well (one arrived as early as 1685 but most of the others immigrated between 1701 and 1730) but it ended with my 2nd great grandfather who converted to Methodism during the Third Great Awakening. His son, my great grandfather, would have been the first generation to not speak the language. I would have loved to have seen the language continued to pass down though.
Yes, I'd love to learn it, and I wish I had. My dad's reckoning on that was, I wouldn't really have anyone to speak it with, once he was gone, other than an occasional Amish or Mennonite person.
He didn't really teach much of it to my older (by 20+ years) half- sister and brother either.
I know that he and his siblings were discouraged from speaking it anywhere but at home when they were kids/teens (depression era) On the other hand, my grandmother could barely speak English
I 'think" you can take courses but it's in York or Lancaster, and I don't know of any native speakers around here that would be willing to teach me.
Interesting that my oldest son is taking German in school and gets top marks, and barely has to study, seems to come to it naturally.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgr View Post
This may be the case now but it was not so for a long time. The DAR has a far less than exceptional history when admitting non-whites and was pretty enthusiastic about promoting the "Anglo-Saxon race."
In that case, the DAR isn't much different from numerous other membership organizatons. Times change. I wouldn't single them out for not liking diversity.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In that case, the DAR isn't much different from numerous other membership organizatons. Times change. I wouldn't single them out for not liking diversity.
My grandmother and her mother were members. Mom wouldn't join when they wouldn't allow a black singer to give a memorial concert at the Lincoln memorial. That was in the 30's or 40's. But they are not so 'picky' (with documentation) now, so maybe its time to adjust. Personally I wouldn't mind joining. May find out what I need to do to do so.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:49 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
I always call myself an American, I'm so mixed heritage wise, it's impossible to point to one group. I just think it's interesting to know my origins. Think about it, you have 32 people who are your 3rd Great-Grandparents. That's 32 stories!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Regarding WASPs. Although the word is often used to connote someone of means, the only qualifying factors are being White, Anglo-Saxon in heritage, and Protestant (at least in heritage). This qualifies every barefoot Appalachian, trailer-dwelling, Scots-Irish hillbilly you would ever care to meet. :-)

As far as Americans who recognize and perpetuate their ethnic identity and describe it without a qualifier (i.e. '-American') such as the Irish-American who says, "I'm Irish", or the Italian-American who says, "I'm Italian.", they rarely believe, or are trying to convince you, that they are part and parcel of their culturally "pure" cousins on the other side of the pond. They are assuming you can figure out by context that they are Americans but that the cultural milieu within their homes is instilled with cultural elements outside of the American cultural mainstream leading them to identify themselves partly by their distinguishing heritage. Nothing disingenuous about that, in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Regarding WASPs. Although the word is often used to connote someone of means, the only qualifying factors are being White, Anglo-Saxon in heritage, and Protestant (at least in heritage). This qualifies every barefoot Appalachian, trailer-dwelling, Scots-Irish hillbilly you would ever care to meet. :-)

As far as Americans who recognize and perpetuate their ethnic identity and describe it without a qualifier (i.e. '-American') such as the Irish-American who says, "I'm Irish", or the Italian-American who says, "I'm Italian.", they rarely believe, or are trying to convince you, that they are part and parcel of their culturally "pure" cousins on the other side of the pond. They are assuming you can figure out by context that they are Americans but that the cultural milieu within their homes is instilled with cultural elements outside of the American cultural mainstream leading them to identify themselves partly by their distinguishing heritage. Nothing disingenuous about that, in my opinion.
Actually if your scots or scots irish your not mostly anglosaxon. Your mostly celt. The saxon's and their companions pushed the celts to the north of the British Isles. You are more likely to have Dane/viking ancestry since they settled the outer areas and inter mixed. I never have felt the acroinum fit since its this huge ungeneralized lump and I don't want to be part of a lump. I prefer to be human with certain ancestry which is yesterday. But we're all human.

I agree about the hyphen. If you're second generation Italian immigrant, and you grew up with the langage and the still largely undiluted culture, then yes you did present yourself as Italian-American. Certainly first generation. Ironically they didn't usually use the term as hyphen are today, even if they held to their culture. But multi generations later? Not really.

I do have a great grandfather who was scots irish (from Ireland) and great grand parents from Scotland and either an English or Irish (northern probably) great grandfather, but there is much scots and scots irish before that. I've been told I look it and kinda see what they mean. I have the well known stubborn temper and do consider it a meaningful inheritance but I still wouldn't label me Scot Irish american.

I prefer just eclectic. That part is all me.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,199 times
I look like your average American. I'm mostly German, with some Irish and Scottish. There was a great great grandma with Cherokee in her on my dad's sides. Beyond that... I'm not sure... who knows.

I look like your random, any-person from the USA.

I don't think ancestry is meaningless. It could indicate the part of the world you're from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy