Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Human Ancestry: America, football, barbecue, immigrants, house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,464,216 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

My view:

Nowadays, we're all mutts. And if not, we're all pure Americans. We have established our own way of life, our own culture. Sure, festivities will take place for a day or two here and there, but many Americans use that as an excuse to get out of the house for a while, not to embrace and thank the people that came before you on Earth. We watch MTV, we call McDonald's "going out to eat," we barbecue, and we watch football (the American one).

100 years ago, ancestry may have been a little important, but even then you're in a new country, a diverse one, and you do the same hard labor as the next guy. Now, everybody is one big race... For all I know, my ancestry is Irish, British, Chinese, African, Mexican, Arabian, Turkish, Swiss, Russian, and Italian. With such a large family, I don't see why it's not possible... But who cares? My grandparents are from Naples, Italy... I'd love to go there, but I don't live like that, I live like an American... Well, more like a New Yorker. I watch the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and Knicks... I watch ESPN, MTV, the YES Network (Yankees channel), and MSG. I listen to hip hop and some rock, etc. and I love walking.

Ancestry is really becoming a meaningless sidenote in America today. We're mutts. lol We like to call ourselves Irish, Italian, or German but we're now just Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,019,482 times
Well, that is how the rest of the world sees us, LOL. Part of my family is from Scotland. So about 10 years ago, I joined this online Celtic group - people were basically from Scotland or were Scots who had relocated. I was so excited b/c my family has participated in "Highland" events held all over this country . . . we have done our research . . . have our tartans, etc.

I found out very quickly that altho some people thought Americans were amusing for wanting to "connect" w/ their "roots," they felt we were basically fakers and wannabes. That really surprised me! The responses I got were - Hey, you are an American - you are not a Scot so quit trying to access a culture your family moved away from in 1750.

So yes, we are all Americans . . . and we can still celebrate some of our ancestral roots . . .but I believe the rest of the world finds it all rather pitiful that we feel the need to"reconnect," LOL. Of course, I am sure they like that we go traipsing over to their countries, wanting to see our "ancestral villages," wh/ is what I have done. I left my "tourist dollars" so I guess that made everyone happy.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:05 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,265,696 times
Race means a lot of the Asian community, and even to the Hispanics...
If you go up to a Cambodian and ask 'Are you Filipino'...they just look horrified and say 'nononononono!!! I prom cambodia, me khmer' .. at least the native borns... those who were raised in their native country seem to care a whole lot more.
The Hispanics too, to a lesser degree. They get made cause anyone who speaks Spanish is obviously Mexican...so the non-Mexicans don't like that.. especially the Brazilians(who often speak Spanish too, but even Portuguese sort of sounds like Spanish), Argentineans, Portuguese, and Spaniards... but everyone else as well.
I would agree with everyone being a mutt.
I For example...the total breaks downs
7/16 Chinese (the largest piece of pie)
1/16 Indonesian
1/8 Spaniard
>1/8 full Native Mexican American (Indian)
Unknown Percentage of French(100% confirmed) and African (iffy...I Have the Sickle Cell trait).
Because I am part Spaniard I wouldn't be surprised if I have North African Arab blood, Visigoth blood, and Portuguese blood.
Because I am part Chinese, I wouldn't be surprised if I was part Mongolian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, and all those little Chinese minorities.
Race has alway been insignificant, people go to war and 'spread their genes' while there at it... this is really old... people rape the other countries women and kill the guys... some of the women are bound to get pregnant.... In the modern Day it has become more civilized with less rape and more actual relations.. I have one friend who has a German mom and a African dad. her dad left the Family and she was born in Germany... but you get the point, when the French invaded Germany some Germans was crossed with French (if they weren't crossed already)..and boom, now those Germans have become part of society and some have no Idea that they're indeed part French.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:53 AM

36,615 posts, read 67,067,221 times
Ancestry is meaningless only to people who no longer have a connection to their own.

My parents immigrated to the Bay Area from the South Pacific and so I still have a very strong connection with my ancestral homeland in that most of the people in my family are immigrants-of course hundreds of us were born in the US but our parents taught us the language, the culture etc.

Plus we have homes down there and travel there sometimes up to 5 times a year because we still have many relatives there.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM

32 posts, read 26,598 times
Important point!! You are right. Armenians, Fillipinos, Afganis, and sometimes Russians are very proud of their culture to those who live in America. U.S is a culture pot, and it may be hard to distinguish what constitutes as American..

All Brazil is a mix of completely different races too!!

Now being called an "American" account as ethnicity?

It is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ancestry is meaningless only to people who no longer have a connection to their own.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,031,262 times
Maybe it's different where you live. I live in Chicago, and most of my friends are very aware of what ancestry they are, and everyone they know knows who they are as well. I'm Swedish, and I grew up in a family that very much embrased that heritage. I have a few friends who are Polish and a few that are Italian, and they also talk about it and totally associate with their past. The Irish in Chicago are also extremely proud of their heritage.

Same with the Greeks, but I see it most in the Polish and Italians in Chicago.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 18,008 times
Well I think its good to be proud of your ancestry. Like I was born in a family of Hungarian (from my moms side) and Czech and Estonian (from my father side) ancestry. My mom during week ends always cooks Hungarian foods cuz she learned the recipes from her parents; at home we speak English, but when I go to my mathernal grandparents they speak with me in Hungarian (so I can understand Hungarian but cant speak it), while when I go to my paternal grandparents they speak with me in Estonian or Czech (so, again, I can understand them but cant speak their language). I guess this will help me when I will work cuz I will have more skills than others

Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,294,368 times
I am part Chinese and part Cajun. There is ample evidence of both cultures in what my family does, eats and the music it listens to. Sometimes, both cultures are mixed together for a very interesting experience. Naturally, I eat a lot of rice and fish. Not a stereotype.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,430,715 times
Yeah I'd think being mixed doesn't necessarily mean your ancestry is unimportant to you. Although I think America is a country where, among those here for multiple generations, you don't have to care about your ancestry if you don't want to. Particularly if you're "white." I'm Scottish, English, Belgian, Dutch, and maybe some German. I feel little or no connection to any of those cultures. (Some to Scottish, but that's before I knew I had any Scottish ancestry)

However even in the kind of small-town white world I live people may choose to care about their ancestry. There was an Irish-American family who moved in, ran the bar for a bit, and were totally "Irish" with it. Lots of Celtic-punk and Irish music which drove people away. One of my teachers was of Serbian ancestry and it seemed to matter to him some. People would think he was Italian and he'd correct them, also it was the early 1990s so he had some non-standard views of the war there as a Serbian-American. However his family had been here for generations and he wasn't Serbian Orthodox or anything. The only thing odd about his speech was he said "you know what I'm saying" alot, but I don't know if that's a Serbian thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,892,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Maybe it's different where you live. I live in Chicago, and most of my friends are very aware of what ancestry they are, and everyone they know knows who they are as well. I'm Swedish, and I grew up in a family that very much embrased that heritage. I have a few friends who are Polish and a few that are Italian, and they also talk about it and totally associate with their past. The Irish in Chicago are also extremely proud of their heritage.

Same with the Greeks, but I see it most in the Polish and Italians in Chicago.
In the major cities, the neighborhoods are still very ethnically dominated. This is particularly true of Chicago where very group has a little fiefdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy