Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I think he was referring to people in the Southwest who's ancestry goes back a few hundred years there. In other words the Hispanics/Mexicans.
Oh! thanks for clearing that up, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
I believe this. My dad got his DNA test because he was interested in his European roots. He was especially interested in whether he had any Jewish blood because he was under the impression that a lot of Jewish had settled at different times in New Mexico. (His DNA didn't show any.) ... He wasn't thinking about Native American ancestry and needless to say the 30% came back as quite a suprise.

I'm not surprised by that. I think that many NM people, especially in rural areas and small communities in northern New Mexico, would self identify in this context as being "Spanish" because their families came north with the first Spanish governors, loyally dwelt under the rule of the monarchy, they spoke Spanish, endured the inquisition in some cases, were conversos from Spain in some cases, were extremely supportive of the Catholic church and also Los Hermanos Penitentes, were driven out as Spaniards during the Pueblo revolt of 1680, came back after the reconquest and continue on with their earliest traditions. If you could test them, their DNA might tell another story. There was early mixing soon after the Aztec conquest so some folks are more one thing and some are more another but many tend to identify as Spanish.

The little village of Santa Cruz de la Canada is the site of the earliest remaining Spanish mission church still in use (current church built c. 1733). The early name of the place (from 1695) was Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz de los Españoles Mejicanos del Rey Nuestro Señor Carlos Segundo (The New Town of the Holy Cross of Mexican Spaniards under the King Our Lord Charles II). The earliest Spanish haciendas and small settlements in that area date to around 1600 but the town was established after the reconquest.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:18 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
My dad identifies as being Hispanic, and physically does not have any native American features. The Penitentes were around until about the middle of the 1900s, but they were religious fanatics. I don't think anyone my dad knew ever were involved in that. My dad grew up in Santa Cruz. He was valedictorian of his class at Espanola high.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
My dad identifies as being Hispanic, and physically does not have any native American features. The Penitentes were around until about the middle of the 1900s, but they were religious fanatics. I don't think anyone my dad knew ever were involved in that. My dad grew up in Santa Cruz. He was valedictorian of his class at Espanola high.
Hispanics/Latinos typically have Native American heritage even if they don't know it - the average is 18% (meaning Latinos have an average of 18% of Native American DNA results, not that 18% of Latinos get Native American results). So it also doesn't surprise me that his DNA came back 30% Native American. While that is higher than the average, you have to imagine it's normal for some Latinos to have more or less than the average. Also, the average can be higher or lower depending on what part of Latin America the individual is from/has ancestry in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic...enetic_studies

Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

"The average African-American genome, for example, is 73.2% African, 24% European, and 0.8% Native American, the team reports online today in The American Journal of Human Genetics. Latinos, meanwhile, carry an average of 18% Native American ancestry, 65.1% European ancestry (mostly from the Iberian Peninsula), and 6.2% African ancestry."

Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Cool - I love that church up in Santa Cruz and the restoration work. Very impressive.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Cool - I love that church up in Santa Cruz and the restoration work. Very impressive.
My dad dabbled with artistic painting in the 1960s. One of the few subjects he painted was that church. In the painting there is a nice little trout stream running in front of the church. I don't know whether that was just something he added or whether it existed for real.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I guess that I'm the exception then. My DNA test showed 0.0 on the Native American and all the rest showed Irish, Scot-English, Scandinavian and French. And my ancestors moved here to the new colonies from Scotland in 1740, so that makes me as (white bread) as they get, LOL.
Same here. While I have not done the DNA thing, I've done some extensive research into the branches of my family tree, and the oldest ancestors jumped the pond in the 1630s, and the most recent arrivals were from 200 years ago. Haven't found a mention of NA. Lots of Dutch, English, Welsh, Irish and German though.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 AM

426 posts, read 394,189 times
Yes, most. Also black heritage. The so called black indians, the metis groups in Georgia. But I'm referring to "real americans", people that were hunters and explorers more than 200 years ago. They all married indian and black girls. Immigrants were just immigrants.

Have you seen the population of many Indian nations and how they look "hicks"? All American would be like them had not been for immigration during the last 220 years.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Yes, most. Also black heritage. The so called black indians, the metis groups in Georgia. But I'm referring to "real americans", people that were hunters and explorers more than 200 years ago. They all married indian and black girls. Immigrants were just immigrants.

Have you seen the population of many Indian nations and how they look "hicks"? All American would be like them had not been for immigration during the last 220 years.
The Pilgrims landed almost 400 years ago and the Puritans came shortly thereafter. As others here have stated before, these people were religious fanatics and would never have married a "savage." Sometimes, in later years, they intermarried with Dutch or German and a few others of similar backgrounds and religions to their own, but usually they kept to themselves. Even up until the last few generations, it was difficult for someone to marry outside of their religion and people usually married within their own ethnic group.

So the quotation about "All American would be like them had not been for immigration during the last 220 years." doesn't seem to hold up. For many people it's wishful thinking that they have anything other than white blood. And they were hunters, explorers, and farmers.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:11 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Pilgrims landed almost 400 years ago and the Puritans came shortly thereafter. As others here have stated before, these people were religious fanatics and would never have married a "savage." Sometimes, in later years, they intermarried with Dutch or German and a few others of similar backgrounds and religions to their own, but usually they kept to themselves. Even up until the last few generations, it was difficult for someone to marry outside of their religion and people usually married within their own ethnic group.

So the quotation about "All American would be like them had not been for immigration during the last 220 years." doesn't seem to hold up. For many people it's wishful thinking that they have anything other than white blood. And they were hunters, explorers, and farmers.
Exactly... there are exceptions in many of these early populations, but everything we know suggests they were exceptions and not the normal. So a small amount of early people broke away from whatever customs they were and had children with Native Americans. Of course people have to remember that a certain portion of those limited cases had children that didn't integrate back into European colonial society, but back into the Native American society which reduces the number of "white" people descended from such unions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy