Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,038 times

Advertisements

I haven't received my results back yet, still waiting.
I am wondering if the DNA test for Ancestry will indicate a father
or fathers line? Is it only mother?
I know my mother's line and have researched it, but all I have is a name
of my father. When I get the results back, will it show my fathers line also?
If not, what DNA service would you suggest that would be like Ancestry to see
if they have any results for a fathers line?
Obviously, I only have a name from my birth certificate for the father.
I really don't even know if the name is correct. (if you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
If he's been tested, yes, he will be identified as your father.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Did you test with Ancestry.com? If so, that is an autosomal DNA test, and your ethnicity report and DNA matches will be inclusive of both paternal and maternal sides but it does not indicate which is which. The DNA test does not provide you with your ready-made tree, if that's what you're expecting, you will still need to research the paper trail to learn more about your dad or his ancestry.

Since you are a woman, there is no other DNA test you can take for more info on your dad's side.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
As an aside, I am personally aware of a father-daughter relationship identified using the Ancestry test. The father, who is in his sixties, was not aware that he had ever impregnated anyone, so it came as quite a surprise. He reached out via the e-mail address associated with the username many times, but the woman never responded. So just because you have a username doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to find out your father's identity.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:14 PM

5,041 posts, read 7,419,654 times
It does not give you "a line" but it will give you a list of genetic relatives (other people who took the test) related on both your mother's and father's sides. If someone closely related on your father's side has been tested you will find them in your list of matches, but it will not tell you HOW they are related. For example if your results include a first or second cousin who is not related to your mother, then you assume it is a paternal relative and you can try to work out who your father was by researching the relatives of that match. The more you have researched your mother's family the easier it will be to rule out relative matches from her side, which would be your father's relatives.

If you find nothing useful in Ancestry you should upload your raw Ancestry data to GEDmatch (it's free) to see if you find any close matches there who may have uploaded from other testing companies. If that still does not provide clues you can upload your data to FamilyTreeDNA and compare against that database as well.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:01 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Since you are a woman, there is no other DNA test you can take for more info on your dad's side.
Not necessarily true. Both my mother and I took the 23andMe test and I linked the two of us. As a result all my DNA relative matches there are individually identified as being from my father's side or my mother's side. Information provided by paternal DNA relatives as well as a comparison of my and my mother's ethnicity results can lead to some general conclusions about my paternal line. The closer the paternal line match, the more information can probably be gleaned.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Not necessarily true. Both my mother and I took the 23andMe test and I linked the two of us. As a result all my DNA relative matches there are individually identified as being from my father's side or my mother's side. Information provided by paternal DNA relatives as well as a comparison of my and my mother's ethnicity results can lead to some general conclusions about my paternal line. The closer the paternal line match, the more information can probably be gleaned.
That's still the autosomal test and you can do this (have one parent test to rule out their shared matches to identify those from the other parent) with Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA too. There is no need to take the same autosomal test with another company unless you're looking for more potential matches - but frankly, it's hard to get far with 23andMe or FTDNA matches because so few upload trees there to compare with.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:03 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's still the autosomal test and you can do this (have one parent test to rule out their shared matches to identify those from the other parent) with Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA too. There is no need to take the same autosomal test with another company unless you're looking for more potential matches - but frankly, it's hard to get far with 23andMe or FTDNA matches because so few upload trees there to compare with.
If you are female, you can get information on your direct paternal line if you have a brother or a male cousin in that line who is willing to be tested.

I am disappointed with the number of matches who are willing to share trees at 23AndMe, too. My husband's closest matches will not communicate, and his tree is difficult for me to work on because his ancestors are in the Northeast and I am in Georgia. His family also was not nearly as fertile as mine, and it seems no one else is researching any of his lines.

I do have some close matches at 23AndMe but I already knew who they were and how our trees mesh. It seems that a lot of people who say they are interested in ancestry are just there for the distant admixture results and not genealogy. I also do have some distant matches who have trees to compare and it is fun to see those and know we share grandparents seven or eight generations back.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you are female, you can get information on your direct paternal line if you have a brother or a male cousin in that line who is willing to be tested.
I was assuming that at the moment, she was the only known child/family of this man - maybe that's wrong but generally when someone has only a name for their father, that tends to be the case. I think particularly if she knew of cousins on her dad's side, she would know a lot more about him and his family than she does, because she could just ask her cousins about her father's siblings and parents.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
ancestry will only tell you that your relative, it wont tell you who or how. The paper chase is how you find out who he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy