Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

I'm unsure about what my race is. I know where my ancestors are from, and a dna test shows the following:

1% african
5% european jewish
9% caucasus
9% iberian
12% middle east
14% native american
50% italian

I used to think I was white but people keep telling me i don't look white but look latino. My dad is from argentina so technically im half hispanic but his ancestors mostly immigrated there from europe, middle east and the caucasus. But even though I do have some native american and spanish blood in me, it just doesnt feel right calling myself latino. So if i'm not white I really don't know what I would be.
I just dont know what I should call myself, even though i think i am white many people think otherwise. The dna test shows that there is some native american (not white) and middle east/caucasus (kind of white), but the majority is italian which is white so thats why i think I would be white.

Its weird tho cuz when I was younger i definitely looked white and had paler skin but now I have more tan skin and darker hair.

But what do you think? am i justified in calling myself white?
Attached Thumbnails
What race would I be considered?-book-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnz10 View Post
I'm unsure about what my race is. I know where my ancestors are from, and a dna test shows the following:

1% african
5% european jewish
9% caucasus
9% iberian
12% middle east
14% native american
50% italian

I used to think I was white but people keep telling me i don't look white but look latino. My dad is from argentina so technically im half hispanic but his ancestors mostly immigrated there from europe, middle east and the caucasus. But even though I do have some native american and spanish blood in me, it just doesnt feel right calling myself latino. So if i'm not white I really don't know what I would be.
I just dont know what I should call myself, even though i think i am white many people think otherwise. The dna test shows that there is some native american (not white) and middle east/caucasus (kind of white), but the majority is italian which is white so thats why i think I would be white.

Its weird tho cuz when I was younger i definitely looked white and had paler skin but now I have more tan skin and darker hair.

You're more white than anything else the only significant "non-white" mixture you have is Native American. I would completely disregard any opinion but your own. If you must choose I would say choose what you are most comfortable identifying yourself as.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Race is an artificial definition.

Some day, they will likely shift to some sort of skin color definition, like the do for Hair and eye color.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Race is an artificial definition.

Some day, they will likely shift to some sort of skin color definition, like the do for Hair and eye color.
And place no value on one over another.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
since you have 50% Italian ancestry, I would go by that as my racial group, maybe say Italian and Argentino decent

since thats the majority of your ethnic backgroud

Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Do your parents consider themselves white? If they do, then you're white. I don't think you look latino.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
You look like a human. Period. It doesn't matter whether you look red, green or purple-striped.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:

1% african
5% european jewish
9% caucasus
9% iberian
12% middle east
14% native american
50% italian

I used to think I was white but people keep telling me i don't look white but look latino.
Latino IS white (so is Italian and Middle Eastern, btw). Latino is an ethnicity, not a race, it is defined as such on legal documents like the census.

Quote:
My dad is from argentina so technically im half hispanic but his ancestors mostly immigrated there from europe, middle east and the caucasus. But even though I do have some native american and spanish blood in me, it just doesnt feel right calling myself latino. So if i'm not white I really don't know what I would be.
This is the very reason Latino is not a race, because Latin America has a has high mixture of people with different racial backgrounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino..._United_States

"Neither "Hispanic" nor "Latino" refers to a race, as a person of Latino/Hispanic ethnicity can be of any race. Like non-Latinos, a Latino can be of any race or combination of races: White/Caucasian, Black/African American, Asian, Native American, Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander American, or two or more races. While Brazilian Americans are not included with Hispanics and Latinos in the government's census population reports, any Brazilian American can report as being Hispanic or Latino since Hispanic or Latino origin is, like race, a matter of self-identification."

Quote:
Racially, you are mostly white (Latino, Italian, Iberian, and Middle Eastern), with some Native American. So, you are bi-racial. I know people of mixed-race sometimes have difficulty with racial self-identity, but you are primarily white and you don't seem to have any real life influence from your Native American background so I see no reason why you shouldn't consider yourself such.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 AM

510 posts, read 500,374 times
Caucasian - Southern European/Mediterranean

Hispanic is just an ethnic group but not a race. Hispanics come in every combination of eye color, hair color and skin color. You get blond hair-blue eyes, or dark skin-dark eyes. The only common characteristics is they come from a country which is predominately Spanish speaking.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:57 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Yes. I would call you white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy