U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM

973 posts, read 997,951 times

Advertisements

I'll also add that it seems that record is a statement from Adam Andrews and unlike others with their marks noted by their name Adam has no mark. I'm guessing that means that's his actual signature? Meaning he could at least sign his name.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I'll also add that it seems that record is a statement from Adam Andrews and unlike others with their marks noted by their name Adam has no mark. I'm guessing that means that's his actual signature? Meaning he could at least sign his name.
I think that assumption was invalid... when Adam Andrews did his will in 1859 he left a mark.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Looking at the 1860 slave schedule, I see William Andrews, son of Adam, has a Black Female slave age 18 in his household. This matches in 1850 he had a 7 year old Black Female slave.

Wonder if this was "Lucinda", maybe in his final time Adam was being taken care of the now freed slaves? So they would associate him with that family number on the 1870 mortality schedule.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:39 PM

Of possible interest, in 1850 William Andrews household is listed as

Wm Andrews 32
Martha Andrews 23
John Andrews 3
Wm Andrews 0

He married Martha Ellis in 1845. This makes the 7 year old Female slave in his household born before he was married and the only save in his household. Maybe a slave daughter? He was a bit older when he got married so maybe he was in a relationship with a slave woman? Also could be a slave given via his in-laws, need to determine if they owned slaves.

I've found no record of Adam Andrews his father owning slaves... and via slave schedules his sons only every seemed to own a single slave each.

in 1850

Matthew Andrews owned 1 20 year old female
Rohow owned one 8 year old female
William owned one 7 year old female

In 1860 Rohow has a 50 year old female slave.

If Adam Andrews was indeed part Black (but passed in all but his mortality schedule) I guess the slaves owned could also be related somehow, maybe owned for protection?

In Greene County, Georgia there is another Andrews family living in 1850 and 1860, they own quite a few slaves (though none old enough to be the Adam Andrews 92 in 1870). Via probate records I know that Andrews family isn't immediately related, but I don't know if they are distantly related. They connect to the "W Andrews" there in 1840 with a free person of color in their household.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM

In identifying Adam Andrews before Greene Co., GA in 1810, there is an Adam Andrews in the Jackson Co., GA Tax Digests for 1798 and 1801, though I don't know if that's him. No land is owned by that Adam at that time.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 AM

23,584 posts, read 29,973,041 times
Quote:
Of possible interest, in 1850 William Andrews household is listed as

Wm Andrews 32
Martha Andrews 23
John Andrews 3
Wm Andrews 0

He married Martha Ellis in 1845. This makes the 7 year old Female slave in his household born before he was married and the only save in his household. Maybe a slave daughter? He was a bit older when he got married so maybe he was in a relationship with a slave woman? Also could be a slave given via his in-laws, need to determine if they owned slaves.

I've found no record of Adam Andrews his father owning slaves... and via slave schedules his sons only every seemed to own a single slave each.

in 1850

Matthew Andrews owned 1 20 year old female
Rohow owned one 8 year old female
William owned one 7 year old female

In 1860 Rohow has a 50 year old female slave.

If Adam Andrews was indeed part Black (but passed in all but his mortality schedule) I guess the slaves owned could also be related somehow, maybe owned for protection?

In Greene County, Georgia there is another Andrews family living in 1850 and 1860, they own quite a few slaves (though none old enough to be the Adam Andrews 92 in 1870). Via probate records I know that Andrews family isn't immediately related, but I don't know if they are distantly related. They connect to the "W Andrews" there in 1840 with a free person of color in their household.
Have you checked the records for the land lottery for Revolutionary War veterans?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM

Ok, found this interesting. Found a treasure trove of digitized deeds for Greene Co., GA and found one for Rosenna and Mary Andrews selling some land in 1876 to Joe Foster, Robert Johnson, Greene Johnson, David Boon and Sam Parrott "trustees for the African M E Church"

Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-rosenna-mary-andrews-land-sale-african  

Old 03-27-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, found this interesting. Found a treasure trove of digitized deeds for Greene Co., GA and found one for Rosenna and Mary Andrews selling some land in 1876 to Joe Foster, Robert Johnson, Greene Johnson, David Boon and Sam Parrott "trustees for the African M E Church"
Have tried and failed to find information on that potential African American church.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:26 PM

9,675 posts, read 15,191,562 times
Quote:
Have tried and failed to find information on that potential African American church.
Did you try Ebenezer A.M.E. Church in Greensboro, GA?

Old 03-27-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Did you try Ebenezer A.M.E. Church in Greensboro, GA?
Thanks, I did not, that's a great lead.

In running down my old efforts I did get a comment on a Greene Co., GA facebook history page

"There were some Green Family members who lived in White Plains Georgia. The family associated with Henry Green's family was active involved in the birth of the Pierce Chapel African Methodist Church in the Pierce Chapel Community."

Definitely some things I need to run down to see. It's possible the church never was built or is lost to history, but still digging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy