U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 06:29 PM

973 posts, read 997,951 times

Advertisements

An old AME church in Greene Co as well that people don't seem to know much about now.

https://theoldchurchproject.wordpres...st-paul-a-m-e/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 06:34 PM

I really need to see if I can figure out where that land was. Brushing the dust off of my memories on this so posting here for cataloging (has been great to come back to this thread) though welcome any help as well

So in this land deed they sold to the AME church it said it was in the South East corner of their tract (just 1 acre) and bordered E C Bowden and R Tappan. I believe the original tract was on Beaverdam creek. I need to re-look at Adam Andrews original land records that locate where it is and also see if I can find where E C Bowden and R Tappan's land were.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:36 PM

Here they reference the location of that ST Paul AME church on a map
https://www.hrcga.org/church/st-paul-cme-2/

Looking at it here
https://www.google.com/maps/place/33...!4d-83.0864568

I notice it's not too far from "Bowden" creek, could be a coincidence of course until I verify if it's relevant.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:54 PM

So here is the survey for the tract that land was based on (survey in 1861)

Adam Andrew's land is at the bottom, though it borders James Cartwright which has the survey above. Even though I see no Tappan or Bowden bordering his on that survey, James Cartwright above lists Bowden bordering so think this is the same land the 1 acre was taken from for the church.
Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-survey-adam-andrews-james-cartwright-1861  

Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM

So more speculating, the creeks might actually fit for this general vicinity... There's Beaverdam creek with both Oliver and Bowden creeks off of it, in these surveys you can see they are all off of Beaverdam with land bordering that of Bowden and Oliver (John G Oliver on those surveys had a daughter that married Adam's son Adam and they also had various land interactions cross witnessing on deeds).

Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-beaverdam-oliver-bowden-creeks.png  

Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM

Though it's really hard to compare this might be a good fit. The Cartwright claim is actually below the Andrews and the Andrews is really only one third the size of the Cartwright... So if I'm reading it right I think the Beaverdam creek is mostly north south on the west side of both claims and then it looks like one creek splits off to the east in the middle of the cartwright creek, then another one to the east bordering between the land plats, then either beaverdam turns north east or another one towards the top of Adam's land.

On the actual map you see Stewart creek to the bottom of the church, that's an earlier branch off of Beaverdam, then Bowden, then Oliver. That "might" fit well with what is shown (keeping in mind creeks and locations change over time and the maps back then were only somewhat accurate). Certainly if that is the tract involved in the sale to the AME church, the south east corner of that might land very very close to where that St Paul's AME church resides. Also the names of those who owned the lands fits the creeks with the Bowden and Olivers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem anyone knowns much about that St Paul's AME church... but it's still standing! With that said the scale to fit what maps the current maps is much larger, such as the location from Beaverdam to the St Paul's AME church, definitely seems farther than the land survey would suggest based on the acreage. Though the resemblance in general is certainly interesting. Adam Andrews had held various pieces of land, all in this general area from before 1817 and made various purchases and sales from neighbors since then, so it's also hard to know if his land extended beyond this one survey and how that might fit. Still relatively a close fit.

Last edited by Alandros; Yesterday at 02:09 AM..

Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM

Here's an attempt to align the grants as they seem to fit, keeping in mind they were just rough sketches by someone

Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-stacked-land.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

9,675 posts, read 15,191,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
An old AME church in Greene Co as well that people don't seem to know much about now.

https://theoldchurchproject.wordpres...st-paul-a-m-e/
I saw that one as well, but it says it was built around the turn of the 20th century. Granted, it could have replaced an earlier building (the one I suggested also looks like a modern building). You've done some good digging - property records for the St Paul's site might tell you more.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I saw that one as well, but it says it was built around the turn of the 20th century. Granted, it could have replaced an earlier building (the one I suggested also looks like a modern building). You've done some good digging - property records for the St Paul's site might tell you more.
Yeah. The time might or might not. They said the turn of the 20th century, so around 1900 and the deed was signed over in 1877, so certainly close enough to fit. I seems to be the oldest AME church building in the area, though both churches are actually pretty close to where Adam's land was. If I'm reading the survey right it look like Adam's land was with the Beaverdam creek on the west border and stretching pretty far and narrow east and the tract was in the South east corner so it sort of points in the general direction of the St Pauls Church but so hard to tell.

I can't really find much more info on St Paul's AME Church. It seems people know it's been around for a long time but no one has at least posted much about it and historical church sites seem to suggest they couldn't find any real info on it.

I previously saved about 80+ land deeds from my Andrews families, neighbors, in-laws, etc. Been on my long list of records I've saved out to transcribe and correlate via names etc. So far none of the land deeds give any better info on the location than the survey. This does seem to be the general area my ancestor had land though, which I hadn't really correlated, so that's cool to identify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy