U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:38 AM

970 posts, read 997,529 times

Advertisements

So here's my latest genealogical puzzle, if anyone has a moment would love to leverage the additional expertise and thoughts of those here.

I'm fairly confident my ancestry leads up to a Matthew Andrews m. Susan Jones in Greene County, Georgia. He was likely a son of an Adam Andrews m. Polly Brooks. I've been trying to trace the family to confirm relationships and see if I can find the parents of Andrew Andrews and Polly Brooks. Fortunately a good deal of probate records survive, though they don't answer all questions. Matthew Andrews died around 1852 and his father Adam Andrews died between January and July of 1870. What has thrown me for a loop and I'm trying to verify or not is there's a 1870 Mortality schedule entry for an Adam Andrews how died in April 1870 age 92... That age matches perfectly and the death month is right in the middle of the 5-6 month period I know he died in... What's interesting is his race is listed as "B" for Black.

I'm basically trying to answer three questions:
1) Is that Adam Andrews Mortality entry the same as my ancestor and is he correctly listed as Black (or mixed race)
2) Is Adam Andrews the father of Matthew Andrews
3) Who are the parents of Polly Brooks

If you have ancestry here is the link to Matthew Andrews in my tree:
Join Ancestry

So starting with

1) Is that Adam Andrews Mortality entry the same as my ancestor and is he correctly listed as Black (or mixed race)

So here’s the 1870 Mortality Schedule

1870 Mortality Schedule.jpg

The relevant info is an entry for

Adam Andrews age 92, Male, Black, Widow, born in Virginia, died in April, died of Old Age

There seems to be a smudge or something blocking the family number associated with him (referencing the Schedule 1, the base 1870 census). There seems to be three numbers and reference other numbers hand writing style it looks to be ?53. The first number has some sort of curve on the top right so probably 2, 3, 8, or 9.

At first I thought it was an ?83, though down a few entries down at number 23 you can see a 35 and those seem to match the letter styles perfectly.

So I looked and found an Andrews surnamed family with family number 353 listed as follows, all born in Georgia

1870 Census Lucinda Andrews.jpg

Lucinda Andrews 29, Female, Black, Farm Laborer
William … 8, Male, Black
Dora … 6, Female, Black
Vincent … 3, Male, Black

No known info connects this family to my Andrews family. Likely these were freed slaves after the Civil War (the people old enough).

So that doesn’t really point to my Adam Andrews (though that family could somehow be connected to mine).

So with that said here’s the trail of my Adam Andrews. He’s listed as Adam Andrews in the 1820 and 1830 Greene County Census and then A Andrews in 1840. Then in the 1850 Census:

1850 Census Adam Andrews.jpg

Adam Andrews 71, Male, Farmer, born in N.C.
Rosena … 30, Female, born in Georgia
Mary … 29, Female, …
Sarah …, 4, Female, …

Below his household is listed another but younger Adam Andrews, highly likely to be a son.

In 1859 there’s a will entry for Adam Andrews where ho only mentions two of his daughters, a Rosana and Mary Andrews. My ancestor Matthew would be dead by now, though I believe he at least had a surviving son Adam Andrews Jr. at this time.

1859 Adam Andrews Will.jpg

1860 Census is where things get a bit interesting:

1860 Census Adam Andrews.jpg

Wm P Jackson 45, Male, Farmer, Georgia
Jn(sp?) Underwood 40, Male, ???, …
The next entry has an odd marker on the left side, then it lists Wm P Jackson, maybe three letters (maybe Jnr?) and the ‘’ ditto marks for age and sex
Then it lists Adam Andrews with a squigly line connecting his entry to the next entry… 82, Male, no birth state listed, no value for real estate or personal estate
The next entry (with the squigly line connected to Adam Andrews has another odd marker on the left side as well… Wm D Jackson Guardn, guessing Guardian, NC, no age listed, a value for real estate but not personal estate

The next page only two households away is listed Rosanna, Mary, and Sallie Andrews.

So this seems to suggest William D Jackson was the guardian of Adam Andrews? Maybe vice verse, though I suspect the former, mostly because the next record:

1868 Littleton D Caldwell is made guardian of Adam Andrews Sr. (Adam Andrews Jr. is mentioned as security for the bond). It describes Adam Andrews as imbecile from old age.

1868 Adam Andrews Guardian LD Caldwell.jpg

Then in 1870 Adam Andrews daughter Rosana Andrews is made his Guardian in January of 1870.

In July of 1870 Adam Andrews will is probated by his daughter (and guardian Rosana).

So the timeline seems to be

1859 Adam Andrews records his will at the age of 81
1860 he seems to have William D Jackson as his guardian, I have yet to find probate records for that, though of interest when Matthew Shipman died in 1852 William D Jackson was made guardian of his children (despite Susan his wife being still alive, got to love old school rules against women), there are many pages of surviving probate records for William D Jackson dispersing funds to Matthew Shipman’s heirs, something like 50+ pages. It seems later he was made Matthew’s father’s guardian also. Curious who he was since he must have been close to the Andrews family to be so trusted.
1868 Littleton D Caldwell is made his guardian
1870 Jan his daughter Rosana Andrews is made his guardian
1870 July he is dead by now

So he died somewhere between 1870 Jan and July.

This is where that mortality record really starts to look like him… that Adam Andrews was 92 by 1870, in the 1860 census my Adam is listed as 82, a perfect match. Also the Mortality schedule said that Adam died in April of 1870, that matches right in the 6 month period my Adam Andrews died. The mortality Adam is listed as a widow like mine (though considering he was 92 not surprising).

How likely is it that there are two Adam Andrews who were the same age and died within the same 6 month period, surviving to the old age of 92 as well.

The only three things that don’t match…

1. Birth state, the only reference for my Adam’s birth state is the 1850 census where it says NC, the Mortality Adam lists VA. These are bordering states and often confused so not very conclusive either way.

2. Family number on mortality record looks to be ?53, which best matches the 353 Lucinda Andrews Black family, no known connection to mine. My Adam’s daughter Rosena was family number 984 (why at first I thought it might have been 983 and just been one off).

3. Race… Mortality Adam is listed as Black and there’s not much other to suggest my Adam was anything but white. The 1850 and 1860 census he is last on are useless in this regard since they don’t list race, though in the 1820-1840 census he and his family are listed as white.

The only interesting things I’ve found in this regard are two things:

3a) His daughter Rosena Andrews is listed in the 1870 census as “W” for white, though it looks like another letter was listed first and the W was written over it. Could just be a mistake, though maybe she was mixed race and it was altered after the initial entry (have seen this before on mix raced people)?

1870 Census Rosanna Andrews.jpg

3b) The only other hint at any Andrews being anything but white is in the 1840 census for Greene County Georgia. There are only three Andrews listed:

A Andrews pg 28
M Andrews pg 26
W Andrews pg 22

A is Adam, M is Matthew his son, W seems to be a Warren Andrews who married an America Darden. W Andrews has the second oldest male in the household listed under “Free Colored Persons - Males - 24 thru 35:”. Interestingly there’s also a “Slaves - Females - 10 thru 23: 1” as well.

Looking at the image it seems there is indeed a mark for a free colored person.

I’m unsure on any relation of Warren to my Andrews, though in later census records he lists his birth state as NC like Adam does.

So this is where I sit with this question. Curious if this Adam Andrews is the same as mine or not? The only other thing I’ve looked at was the 1860 Slave Census, and no Andrews had a Slave that was close to 80 or older in that. Of course another person could have owned a slave that took the name Andrews. There was an L L Andrews that owned many slaves in 1860, unsure on who he is and if he relates at all to my Andrews family.

In the 1850 Slave Census Matthew Andrews owned one Female slave aged 20. Also Rohow and William probable sons of Adam owned a female slave each, one 8 and another 7. It seems possible Lucinda could be one of the later two, in the 1860 slave schedule William still owns the same slave who is now 18 (Lucinda was 29 by 1870 so could fit).

I’ll stop here since this went a bit further than expected and separate the other things I’m researching into other posts, this turned a bit longer than expected. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1850-census-adam-andrews.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1859-adam-andrews-will.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1868-adam-andrews-guardian-ld-caldwell.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1870-adam-andrews-guardian-rosanna-andrews.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1870-adam-andrews-probate.jpg  

Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1870-census-lucinda-andrews.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1870-census-rosanna-andrews.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1870-mortality-schedule.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1860-census-adam-andrews.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1860-census-rosanna-andrews.jpg  

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 05:59 AM

So decided to start looking into William D Jackson a bit more, due to him seemingly being the guardian of both Adam Andrews and the estate of his grandchildren, children of Matthew Andrews.

Found an 1871 will in Greene County, GA where a William D Jackson has entries to give money to multiple people mentioned as "persons of color". Still digging through his will some more, but very interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1871-william-d-jackson-will-01.jpg   Andrews of Greene Co GA Puzzle-1871-william-d-jackson-will-02.jpg  

Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Following a bit further... William D Jackson is definitely fascinating. Following census records he seems to never have married or had a family (at least a white family) of his own. In the 1860 Slave Schedule he owned 19 slaves. He left $150 to Emily Jackson and $100 each to minors Richard Dunn and Beauregard Dunn (all listed as colored people).

He left explicit directions for the money to be given to them for their "pressing wants or necessities", such as medicine or provisions when sick deemed by a James W Winfield deemed "unable to earn a support by their labor." He explicitly says the money isn't to be turned over to them for their "will and pleasure." He adds that the minors should get the remaining sums at the age of 21.

So looking at the 1870 census I see William D Jackson living alone in his own household (age 56) surrounded by black families (freed slaves?)... The household below him is a Dunn family with a children Beauregard Dunn. I don't see a Richard, but maybe that was a nickname or middle name. A couple spots further down is a household with a single Black woman named Emily Jackson 45 years old.

Certainly makes me wonder if Emily Jackson and the Dunns were slaves and maybe the two Dunn minors are his children via Emily Jackson.

Further the will includes a listing of William's brother and many nieces and nephews so was pretty easy to identify him. It seems his parents were a Stephen Jackson who married a "Jimmy" (some trees speculate Jemima or Jane) Brooks in 1805. This probably establishes the connection since Adam Andrews wife was a Polly Brooks, William D Jackson was likely a cousin of Adam's wife and subsequently a cousin of the heirs of Matthew Andrews.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,093,489 times
"1860 Census Adam Andrews.jpg

Wm P Jackson 45, Male, Farmer, Georgia
Jn(sp?) Underwood 40, Male, ???, …
The next entry has an odd marker on the left side, then it lists Wm P Jackson, maybe three letters (maybe Jnr?) and the ‘’ ditto marks for age and sex
Then it lists Adam Andrews with a squigly line connecting his entry to the next entry… 82, Male, no birth state listed, no value for real estate or personal estate
The next entry (with the squigly line connected to Adam Andrews has another odd marker on the left side as well… Wm D Jackson Guardn, guessing Guardian, NC, no age listed, a value for real estate but not ..."

I agree WmD Jackson was Adam Andrews's guardian. And the Birthplace NC was meant to be on Adam's line.
And that the second Wm D Jackson was a Jr.

Without seeing the whole page I can not tell if the M's were for Mulatto or male.

Great info.

Last edited by historyfan; 05-10-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,093,489 times
Here is mention of Adam Andrews--

Written: April 15, 1816

GEORGIA
GREENE COUNTY

This indenture made and entered into this Fifteenth day of April one
Thousand Eight hundred and sixteen Between Thomas Ellis of said state and
County of the one part and James White of the same State and County aforesaid
of the other part Witnesseth that the said Thomas Ellis for and in
consideration of the sum of two hundred Dollars to him in hand paid before the
sealing and delivery of these presents the receipt whereof is hereby
acknowledged hath bargained sold and Delivered and doth by these presents
bargain sell and deliver unto the said James White his heirs and assigns
forever in fee simple a certain tract or parcel of land situate lying and being
in county aforesaid on the Beaver Dam of Richland Creek containing one hundred
and fifteen acres more or less adjoining the lands of Mathew Houghton on the
East John White on the South James White on the West and Adam Andrews on the
North Beginning at a red oak thence to a hickory thence to a water oak thence
to a red oak thence to a pine, thence to a post oak an Porters line thence to
McHargs line thence to Whites line togather with all and singular the rites
members and appurtenances to the same belonging or in any wise appurtaining to
have and to hold the same Tract or parcel of land with is appurtenances to the
only proper use benefit and be hoof of him the said James White his heirs and
assigns for ever-and the said Thomas Ellis for himself and his heirs Doth here
by warrant and forever defend the righ and Title in and to said Tract of Land
to the said James White his heirs and assigns against the claim or demands of
himself and his heirs and against the claim or demand of all other persons
whatsoever
In whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal the day and year above
written . Signed sealed and acknowledged before
Test H. G. Harper
William Totty Thomas Ellis
(seal)
John Armor JP
Recorded the

14th June 1816

Ebeneezer
Torrence Clerk

Transcribed by
Bob & Linda Ellis
Duluth Ga.

GA Archives Drawer 34 Box 16
Green county deed book FF page 148

Old 05-11-2016, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the response, helps to have someone else give thoughts.

I found that land record too, it's great since it gives me a bit more of an idea where he had land, also his neighbors. He had a son who married an Ellis girl, I'll have to look it up a bit further bit I'd bet she was a daughter of his neighboring Ellis.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM

I'm revisiting this research again. Unfortunately no new data... though I'm feeling more confident that mortality schedule is indeed for my Adam Andrews. Not only is the age pretty much spot on (and very high at 92), did that Adam die within the exact 6 month period mine died... I also see no other Adam Andrews on that mortality schedule, so if mine were different then he should be listed somewhere else considering he died right around the same time.

It still could be a crazy coincidence, but it seems highly unlikely. I still don't know if him being listed as Black is a mistake or not... his family number is a Black Andrews family though, so maybe not a mistake, though I still don't know who they are. Starting to dig through these records again to see if I either missed something or can find anything new.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:51 PM

Though I don't know if this means anything at all, looking at nearby things of racial interest, in looking in the 1820 census, looking at Adam Andrews's neighbors:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/ga/gre...1820/pg217.txt

I see only one neighbor who has free colored people listed:
Clabourn Maddox

He two free colored females living in his household, one younger and one older.

As it turns out a C Maddox married Adam Andrews and Polly Brooks... So they definitely were neighbors and knew each other.

I'm grasping at straws at this point, but digging down anything of note I see.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 PM

I'll add Claiborne Maddox owned a moderate amount of slaves too. He has a fairly extensive will giving them out.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:02 PM

9,673 posts, read 15,186,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
So here's my latest genealogical puzzle, if anyone has a moment would love to leverage the additional expertise and thoughts of those here.

I'm fairly confident my ancestry leads up to a Matthew Andrews m. Susan Jones in Greene County, Georgia. He was likely a son of an Adam Andrews m. Polly Brooks. I've been trying to trace the family to confirm relationships and see if I can find the parents of Andrew Andrews and Polly Brooks. Fortunately a good deal of probate records survive, though they don't answer all questions. Matthew Andrews died around 1852 and his father Adam Andrews died between January and July of 1870. What has thrown me for a loop and I'm trying to verify or not is there's a 1870 Mortality schedule entry for an Adam Andrews how died in April 1870 age 92... That age matches perfectly and the death month is right in the middle of the 5-6 month period I know he died in... What's interesting is his race is listed as "B" for Black.

I'm basically trying to answer three questions:
2) Is Adam Andrews the father of Matthew Andrews
3) Who are the parents of Polly Brooks

If you have ancestry here is the link to Matthew Andrews in my tree:
Join Ancestry

So starting with

So here’s the 1870 Mortality Schedule

1870 Mortality Schedule.jpg

The relevant info is an entry for

Adam Andrews age 92, Male, Black, Widow, born in Virginia, died in April, died of Old Age

There seems to be a smudge or something blocking the family number associated with him (referencing the Schedule 1, the base 1870 census). There seems to be three numbers and reference other numbers hand writing style it looks to be ?53. The first number has some sort of curve on the top right so probably 2, 3, 8, or 9.

At first I thought it was an ?83, though down a few entries down at number 23 you can see a 35 and those seem to match the letter styles perfectly.

So I looked and found an Andrews surnamed family with family number 353 listed as follows, all born in Georgia

1870 Census Lucinda Andrews.jpg

Lucinda Andrews 29, Female, Black, Farm Laborer
William … 8, Male, Black
Dora … 6, Female, Black
Vincent … 3, Male, Black

No known info connects this family to my Andrews family. Likely these were freed slaves after the Civil War (the people old enough).

So that doesn’t really point to my Adam Andrews (though that family could somehow be connected to mine).
Good research, but one thing to consider - given the ages, is it possible Lucinda is the wife of one of Adam's grandsons? Maybe Adam was living with them when he died. I see you've found the wives of all his sons but what about all the grandsons? Without ruling out this possibility, I wouldn't rule out this Adam being your Adam.

I don't have time to look over the rest right now but I'll look into it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy