Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

When I was a small child I had 2 maternal great grandmothers alive as I have photos with both of them. One of the photos is a 4 generation photo when I was about 3-4 and the photo with other great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother) is me together with my first cousin who approx. a year younger than me.

As an adult now currently I have a great-aunt who is 90 years old. Her husband was my maternal grandmother's much younger brother and he (my great-uncle) died about a year and half ago and was in his early 90s.

On my father's side, my father's aunt/my great-aunt (my paternal grandmother's sister) died at age 93-94 in early 2001. She was the last one of that generation on my dad's side. But my paternal grandmother was a great-grandmother before she died as some of my older first cousins already had children when she died in 1991 at the age of 91.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
DH's mother is a great grandmother 13 times plus one step grand. She has eighteen direct descendants. All of my grandchildren are under age six, so it will be a while before I am a great grand myself.

NWResident, for the sake of anyone in your family who becomes interested in genealogy, unless someone already is and has done it, compiling the information on your family's descendants would be wonderful. I regret that my only interest in the hobby only started after my parents and all my grandparents were dead.

If your maternal great grandmother is capable of it, having her describe what it was like growing up and any memories of her family would be worth gold to a genealogist. Even consider catching her on video. And, for goodness sake, have family members identify everyone in old photos, too.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
[quote=Tumf;44078937]I'm a Great Grandparent!
Just ask my Grandkids...they think I hang the moon!

Oh.. you mean GREAT like THAT... oh.. nope.
My Mom's dad died when I was 3 - her mom died when I was 8. They lived in VA and we lived in Florida. Only saw them during summer vacation.
My Dad's mom died when I was 12 - and his dad died when I was 16. They both were local to us, and I saw them all the time.
After my dad's mom died, my grandfather lived with us up until his death in '76. He was something else... He made Archie Bunker look like a Catholic Priest.... nobody was 'his equal' unless they were WASP's... his way of describing everybody was derogatory slang about their nationality... He was a piece of work... God rest his sole...[/quote]

My step grandfather was just like that! His family was from Germany and he was first generation American but had they stayed in Germany I have NO doubt he would have been in Hitler's army. As it was he and his brothers were Klu Klux Klan in Chicago in the 1920's. My aunt had a pic of a Klan rally in downtown Chicago and it looked like miles and miles of 'white sheets' marching down the street. She was pretty proud of that, which I found disgusting, and unfortunately most their kids followed in their footsteps. Some of my cousins too. Even as a little kid I didn't understand how anyone could be so hateful of others. Especially people they didn't, and never would, know. The joke was on them when one of their daughters married a Mexican but those grandkids ended up being the 'favored ones' because their daughter was. They still hated Mexicans though...and every other ethnicity.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
The answer is no- I don't have any great grandparents alive right now. My last surviving grandparent- my maternal grandmother just died in November 2015 at age 99. Thus, I also do not have any grandparents alive now. I think there was only one great grandparent alive in my lifetime- it was my great grandmother (my paternal grandfather's mother). She died when I was like 5. Then a few years after that her son- my paternal grandfather died. My great grandparents were all born like in the 1870's, 1880's or early 1890's. So, I don't reckon any person from those decades are alive now. I believe Susannah Mushatt Jones born in 1899 just died on May 12, 2016- up to that point she was the oldest person in the world. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susannah_Mushatt_Jones

Old 05-16-2016, 03:17 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I think a lot depends on how old your parents were when you were born. When I was born my mom was 24 and I still had 2 great grandparents on her side still alive but they both passed before I was 2 and I never really knew them. My dad was almost 2 decades older (i.e. he was in his mid 40s) though that wouldn't have mattered regarding great grandparents as all of his grandparents died 25 years earlier in the Holocaust (I'm in my late 40s now). However, given his age I lost my grandfather when I was only 6 and barely knew him as well....I had my grandmother on his side until my first year of college but that's only because she lived well into her 90s (my maternal grandma died somewhat young when I just out of college but my maternal grandpa made it until his early 90s as well so I had him well into adulthood (mid 30s)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
My great grandparents were all born like in the 1870's, 1880's or early 1890's. So, I don't reckon any person from those decades are alive now. I believe Susannah Mushatt Jones born in 1899 just died on May 12, 2016- up to that point she was the oldest person in the world. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susannah_Mushatt_Jones
With her passing, I read that a woman in Italy born in November 1899 is now the last person on earth (at least that civilized society knows of) born in the 19th century (i.e. the 1800s).

Old 05-16-2016, 04:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
If you read obituaries, it's not uncommon for people to be survived by great-grandchildren and even great-great-grandchildren. In my family the generations are pretty long. One grandfather was born in 1863, and died in 1961. My dad was born when he was 50. His sister was older, and had children young, so he had several great-grandchildren living when he died.

On the female side, all they have to do is be teen mothers for generation after generation and they will build up quite a population explosion.

One Virginia Family, Six Generations Of Daughters

Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
you know in alabama a great grandparent is a 45 year old

Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 PM

672 posts, read 502,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you read obituaries, it's not uncommon for people to be survived by great-grandchildren and even great-great-grandchildren. In my family the generations are pretty long. One grandfather was born in 1863, and died in 1961. My dad was born when he was 50. His sister was older, and had children young, so he had several great-grandchildren living when he died.

On the female side, all they have to do is be teen mothers for generation after generation and they will build up quite a population explosion.

One Virginia Family, Six Generations Of Daughters
I know that. I was just asking if anyone here still had a Living Great-grandparent.

Only a few hundreds years ago living to see the birth of a Great-grandchild was kind of rare.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
All my g-grandparents died before I was born. I only have memories of one blood-related grandparent.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I knew none of my eight g-grandparents, but my children were privileged to know three of theirs, one of whom is still living. We're headed to visit him as soon as school lets out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy