Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
While scrolling through the 1880 census, I found an entry that listed a man with his wife and children, his occupation was listed as "thief." Another entry listed a woman and her children, no husband listed. Her occupation was listed as "wh**e."
There's several people on censuses with the occupation "thief" but they are mostly people in jail at the time of the census. I'm surprised someone not in jail would admit to a criminal career, especially considering the earlier censuses were recorded by US Marshals. It piqued my interest though, so I search the 1880 census by occupation and found a few people who weren't in jail but listed their occupation as "thief".

Most amusing was this one though:

""Thief" Would Dignify Him. To Low For Anything"

LOL. He was married though, so I'm wondering if his griping, bitter wife was the informant. I can see her: "What does he do for a living? He sits around and drinks! He's a lazy bum, is what he is. "Thief" would dignify him. He's too low for anything. Make sure you write that down... Too... low... for... anything. That's right."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There's several people on censuses with the occupation "thief" but they are mostly people in jail at the time of the census. I'm surprised someone not in jail would admit to a criminal career, especially considering the earlier censuses were recorded by US Marshals. It piqued my interest though, so I search the 1880 census by occupation and found a few people who weren't in jail but listed their occupation as "thief".

Most amusing was this one though:

""Thief" Would Dignify Him. To Low For Anything"

LOL. He was married though, so I'm wondering if his griping, bitter wife was the informant. I can see her: "What does he do for a living? He sits around and drinks! He's a lazy bum, is what he is. "Thief" would dignify him. He's too low for anything. Make sure you write that down... Too... low... for... anything. That's right."
LOL! Your pondering is hilarious!

FWIW, on the OP topic, I transcribe old census documents and list out all the black/colored people in our area and one guy had an occupation of "in jail" who shares a surname with my 2nd great grandfather (and 3rd his dad). This line I actually have not had much luck in tracing very far back because 3rd great grandfather died pretty young and his son abandoned my great grandmother when she was a child so I don't know much about him at all. The person who was "in jail" I'm wondering if he was a 4th great grandfather. He has a common surname of FPOC (free people of color) and was "mullatto" on the census so I'm doing some research on this line this year to see if I can make a break through. I have a hankering this guy is either a 4th great grandfather or an uncle. I told my great aunt about it (great grandma who was abandoned was her mom) and she said it wouldn't surprise her that they were a bunch of criminals lol for what 2nd great grandfather did to her mom. She is pretty hard core and doesn't forgive and my great grandmother did speak VERY negatively about her dad her entire life even to me before I got into genealogy lol. He was a "scumbag" and left them in dire poverty, just went to work and never came home. He died in the 1960s and listed her as his next of kin and she had to pay his final expenses. She said she spit on the grave.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 AM

10 posts, read 7,142 times
I found a story of a boy saved by the Red Cross in the 1920's, his mother was killed in front of him by Muslims because she would not denounce Christ. He and his sister were also stabbed and left for dead. It was so heartbreaking, I found him in a family tree and sent it to the person who had him, she was the descendant of the sister. She had also lived and was brought to the US later than him. (Their father was here and serving in the US Army). She was amazed there was an article on it and didn't know he had also been saved, she thought he came with the father.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:31 PM

322 posts, read 710,329 times
A few years back I was perusing wills. I love to read what people do with their things, especially centuries ago...

For example, my GGGrandmother was left absolutely nothing by her husband who fell off a barn roof without a will. It all went to their only son, a boy of 10. (She remarried.)

Anyhow, I came across a will from the 1750s in New York State in which a wealthy man gave his assets to his sons, with the oldest to be responsible for his aged now widowed wife. In the list of assets, he gave his oldest son as well his "mulatto wench" for "full use" but with the proviso that he doesn't turn her out.

I wish I'd saved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy