U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

997 posts, read 1,055,774 times

Advertisements

Never knew any great-grand parents.

Only really knew/know both grandmothers (my maternal grandmother is still living). I only met my grandfathers about twice each. They both died while I was fairly young and we always lived in another State and couldn't afford to go and visit except very rarely.

I do have some very basic stories of one great-grandfather from my father. Apparently growing up they lived next door (he said my grandmother was his "favorite" child so lived next to her). Nothing much about him, just that he was a prankster apparently and seemingly a nice guy. Apparently he did some metalworking, repairing big doors on things like docks etc. So my dad has some stories of him using a bunch of his pulleys to help fix things on their houses etc. For some reason my dad never shared these basic stories with me until my 30s.

Another great-grandfather died while my grandfather was 3 years old (my grandfather's grandfather also died around the same time, so I think that broke up family knowledge). The only interesting story I have is regarding that grandfather, apparently he didn't like his step-father and would jump trains and travel around to get away, visit family, etc. I'm inclined to believe that about him since him and my grandmother seemed pretty daring. Apparently they married after only a few days and then suddenly moved from Kansas to California.

The two other great grandfathers unfortunately only have vague and bad stories. One apparently was pretty hard (codeword for being abusive in a way that wasn't uncommon for people of the time and place), the other apparently may have tried inappropriate things with his daughters.

So I have very little and unfortunately most of what little I did dig up later in life wasn't particularly good.

I do wish I could have talked to my grandfather as an adult, the hobo train hopping one. I'm sure he had a bunch of stories, though apparently he really didn't share them much.

I had very little passed down, I had to dig most of the above up with a lot of effort later in life. I am immensely jealous of people who have a lot passed down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 03:46 PM

4,482 posts, read 4,130,086 times
My grandfather wouldn't share much information about his dad because he was a criminal. I did find it interesting the last time I saw my grandfather and he was suffering with some dementia. He thought he was a kid living on the river. He said he had built a boat to go visit my great grandfather who was in hiding. He would sell the boat and then hitch back home.

My grandmother told me that right after someone dies their pictures fade.

My baby was due the day my grandmother found out she had terminal cancer. She didn't want anyone to tell me she was dying because she had a superstition that my milk wouldn't come in and I would not be able to nurse my baby. She died a week later so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. That was her final gift to me to look out for the well being of my child.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,367,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My grandfather wouldn't share much information about his dad because he was a criminal. I did find it interesting the last time I saw my grandfather and he was suffering with some dementia. He thought he was a kid living on the river. He said he had built a boat to go visit my great grandfather who was in hiding. He would sell the boat and then hitch back home.

My grandmother told me that right after someone dies their pictures fade.

My baby was due the day my grandmother found out she had terminal cancer. She didn't want anyone to tell me she was dying because she had a superstition that my milk wouldn't come in and I would not be able to nurse my baby. She died a week later so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. That was her final gift to me to look out for the well being of my child.
I find this comment by your grandmother haunting in an odd way.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

4,482 posts, read 4,130,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I find this comment by your grandmother haunting in an odd way.
She was superstitious about various things.

Go look at the pictures of people you know who have died. She was right. They do look faded.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 PM

353 posts, read 175,153 times
My grandmother who's dead now liked to do a lot of things chief among them was watching television. One of her favorite shows was a soap opera, The Doctors, as Mel Brandt announced at the start of every episode, "a daytime drama series dedicated to the brotherhood of healing." She also watched Another World, as well as Days of Our Lives, and a few other daytime shows then. Joker's Wild was one(Joker...Joker...AND A JOKER!") Jack Barry hosted that one, by the way.

Near her home was a church, that was baptist, but they did a lot of shouting during services.

I watched Another World because of her, since she died either before or after it was canceled.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:58 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,346,747 times
My paternal great grandparents came from England to CT then MA in the 1860s. They raised 11 living children. I have the newspaper story describing how they were coming home from seeing a movie, and were walking home from the trolley stop, when they were struck by a hit and run driver. My g. grandfather was killed and g. grandmother seriously hurt. This was in the 1930s. From the article, I got the address where they lived. The house is still there. Such a sad thing to happen to a couple who were enjoying a comfortable retirement after working so hard to get their family raised.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 AM

5,855 posts, read 9,339,845 times
I knew one of my great-grandparents well. My childhood overlapped with 3 others, but two of these died when I was a toddler, the other didn't have a great relationship with my mom, so I only saw her a few times.

The Great-grandmother I did know was a wonderful person. Daughter of Scottish immigrants, lived on a big orchard for most of her adult life. We would watch jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune with her. She would save loose change for us (OK, she was a child of Scots after all!) tell us old stories, even play some rough house games with us at age 90!

My relationship with her was very much as being a child, so sadly I can't say I picked up many stories, traditions, etc. from her. But I knew her as a loving older family member who was fun to talk to and spend time with.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,767,283 times
A couple of spooky stories. My mother was very close to her maternal grandmother. As a teenage girl she tended to her grandmother in her last illness after she moved in with my grandparents. After she died my mother sometimes felt her presence: once in a near head-on collision, she felt her grandmother's hand turning the steering wheel to avoid the accident. And another time after my mother married, she went to a party where there was someone who claimed to be a psychic. The psychic asked my mother, "Who is your friend with the long white hair standing behind you?" There was nobody there but the person was describing her grandmother who was known for her striking long white hair.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:44 PM

9,755 posts, read 15,640,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
She was superstitious about various things.

Go look at the pictures of people you know who have died. She was right. They do look faded.
Photo fade with time, it's a natural occurrence and they fade more as more time has passed. Photos of people who have died have usually been around longer than those who haven't so naturally, they have likely faded. That's all it is. It's not like they only begin to fade the moment someone dies. I have photos of my parents (both still alive) from when they were kids which have faded. It's nothing to do with someone's death.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:10 PM

29,340 posts, read 20,043,441 times
My mother had an up and down relationship with her paternal grandmother, who never liked my mother’s mother. She preferred her male grandchild. The only, dim, memory I have of her is being taken to a house in OK, so mom could show my sister and me off to her. I only remember an old lady sitting in bed. But my mom told me her grandmother asked if we were girls. When my mom said “yes”, she snapped back, “Well, why don’t you have them in dresses, then?” Apparently we were dressed in sunsuits. So— That was the last contact she had with her grandmother.

My mom idolized her maternal grandmother, who had emigrated from Cornwall decades before. She was widowed when she arrived in Canada, and remarried in Duluth. They traveled down the Mississippi River to Arkasas, where my mom’s grandpa built a litte house, and they had a second family together.

There is much more to my great grandma’s story. She is an example of building a new life for herself, after making bad choices. My mother idolized her. She died during the time of the Second World War, so I never met her.

I know practically nothing about my dad’s grandparents. The family moved from TN either during or after The Civil War, to Arkansas. They were subsistence farmers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy