U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:44 PM

450 posts, read 305,707 times

Advertisements

What are some of your earliest memories of your Ancestors or stories you heard about Ancestors or memories of Great-Grandparents?

What some of your earliest memories of your Ancestors or stories you heard about Ancestors or Great-grandparents?

I remember when I was really little going to My Maternal Grandparents to the to the cemeteries around Memorial Day to leave Flowed on Graves.

I remember we went to My Grandma Parents (My Great-grandparents) and then My Grandpa maternal Grandparents (My Great-great grandparents) Graves, It was first time I visited those gravesides. I remember hearing stories (and still do) about them growing up.

I am lucky enough to still have one Great -grandparent still living in my mid 20s. I had Three Great-grandparents who were living (one is still living) when I was born My Maternal Grandfather mother is still living who just turned 90.

I never knew my other 2 Great-grandparents who were still living when I was born. one on My Dad side and one on My Mom side. My Father paternal Grandmother (My Paternal Grandfather mother) died when I was 7 and My Maternal Grandfather father died when I was 15.. My Paternal Grandparents were divorced when My Dd was still very young and as far as I can remember I never met my Paternal Grandfather (lives in a different town) and My Father never met his Paternal Grandmother or at least hadn't seen her since he was very young. My Maternal Grandfather Parents divorced when he was 14 and his father moved to Colorado. I never met him.

I only knew My Maternal Great-grandmother my Grandfather mother. she remarried and had 6 more kids (She already had 6 from her first marriage). My Mom is the same age as some of her Aunt and Uncles or around same age range. A couple of them she older then.

Growing up I went out to My Great-grandmother often (not once a week often but enough that I have clear memories was definitely several times a year) and always remember there being a lot of people there (with 12 children and 40 grandchildren there was always people there and always someone coming and going). She like to cook. Kitchen was usually where she was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,567,174 times
My great-grandparents never emigrated so I know little about them, other than my paternal grandmother's father was best pals with the father of a famous movie director who named an iconic movie character after my great-grandfather.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:38 AM

36,561 posts, read 47,179,124 times
I really have none. The great grandparents were dead (as were a couple grandparents, although my father was raised by his mother's brother and his wife).

I learned very early to discount 99% of what they said about things because they were, on both my mother's and father's side, notorious liars, as was my mother.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 PM

23,114 posts, read 22,179,699 times
My gram from Yorkshire, England, used to brag that her ancestors "worked for royalty." In reality, back in her day, almost everyone in her area worked in the mills. But this set her apart and made her better.

In doing genealogy, I found that back in the 1700s she did have an ancestor who was a gardener on a fine estate. Probably he was even given a cottage on the grounds. During WWII the estate became a hospital and later it became a luxury hotel.

So, as is often the case in genealogy, there was a grain of truth. The ancestor had worked for the aristocracy, but not what we, today, would consider royalty.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:36 PM

32,525 posts, read 32,868,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
My great-grandparents never emigrated so I know little about them, other than my paternal grandmother's father was best pals with the father of a famous movie director who named an iconic movie character after my great-grandfather.
Toto?

Old 05-31-2016, 05:45 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,567,174 times
Wrong species.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 13 days ago)

36,002 posts, read 36,250,069 times
I have photos of me with 2 of my great-grandmothers (both on my maternal side) when I was just a toddler. But I never got to know them at an older age (as they died when I was still a young child). So I never got to hear any personal stories about them. But I do have a family tree book which does give individual information about one of them as well as all the ancestors on that side of my family going back to the mid-1600s when they immigrated from England to America.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:20 AM

9,238 posts, read 20,417,776 times
I never knew any of my great grandparents. My family (apart from my paternal grandmother) was not really into talking about family history, but these were the little things I did hear about my great-grandparents while growing up.

Story: My paternal grandmom never knew her mother, my great grandmother, as she had died giving birth to her.
Reality: In my research I learned that her mother lived for almost two months after giving birth, and eventually died of fever and pneumonia as a complication of childbirth. I wonder what it was like for grandmom to believe all her life that her mother died giving birth to her?

Story: My paternal grandmom's father was a successful businessman who owned Ford dealerships in the 19-teens and 20s. My dad remembers when he was very young, his grandfather driving him around in a big school bus. He also married a younger "gold-digger" when my grandmother was a young adult, and the gold digger got his fortune. Her son, my dad's uncle, was younger then him.
Reality: All true. He sold model Ts and later model As, and his two dealerships were also garages where cars were repaired and gas was sold. He bought my town's very first fire truck. He sold the business and retired and chose to be a school bus driver in his later years--not for the money but because he liked it; that's why my Dad remembers him with a bus. He did marry a younger woman when he was in his mature years, and though they were not fabulously wealthy, they were pretty comfortable (the type of people that go sailing in their own sailboats), and the "gold digger" and her son (my dad's "little uncle") did get everything.

Story: My mother's maternal grandmother (my great-grandmother) was disowned by her well-respected upstanding father because she married an Irish Catholic alcoholic.
Reality: My great-grandmother married my Irish Catholic alcoholic great-grandfather AFTER her parents had both died, so they could not have disowned her. I also learned that this great grandmother invented a lot of the stories of her life, including making herself 4 years younger than she actually was. Her father, in reality, was likely Bipolar--alternating between years of stability and being an upstanding citizen and then doing impulsive things like getting a teenager pregnant and going to prison for burglary. He eventually died after accidentally shooting himself and walking several miles to a hospital. So she made up the disowning story, I guess, because it sounded better than the reality. Though as far as family history research goes, the reality was pretty damned interesting.

Story: The above great-greatmother's husband, my great-grandfather, was a severe alcoholic (in addition to being Irish and Catholic) who abandoned the family when my maternal grandmom was a little kid.
Reality: True, he left my great grandmother and their 3 small children, and lived almost-homeless, crashing with relatives here and there. He died a couple years later of advanced TB, complicated by severe alcohol-related organ damage. Unfortunately, he passed on his alcoholic tendency to my grandmom and her brother, although he was hardly in their lives.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 AM

11,022 posts, read 22,472,784 times
Mom's side
Grandpa's parent's were a bit more well off and spent their prime working years running a boarding house or motel in the industrial section of Cincinnati called Ivorydale. They moved back to rural southern Kentucky for retirement. Grandpa was tiny at birth, maybe 1 pound? His mom remained overprotective of him his whole life. My mom and aunts/ uncles didn't like her because she was stern, strict, and played favorites with the grandkids.

Grandma's parents were quite poor but very pleasant and loving. Great grandpa was born out of wedlock, father's identity remains a secret. Even his mom's family tree is totally unknown. GGP was very tall (6'5) and his wife was very short and petite (5').

Dad's side
Grandpa's parents lived on top of Kentucky's tallest mountain and had a farm. They made extra money by selling ginseng. GGP was very tall (6'7?) and his wife was very short (5'). Her ancestors were pretty prominent residents of the area, her GGP was the first judge in Harlan Co KY.

Grandma's dad was a coal miner who died of a stroke at age 49. Her mom moved from eastern Kentucky to Cincinnati, my oldest siblings remember her, she always gave them homemade clothes. She had twin boys die in infancy so she really like my oldest sisters who are twins.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 20,417,776 times
Oh, I forgot to include this one above, because I've posted about the issue before.

My Mom swore up and down that her paternal grandparents, my great-grandparents, had come over from Germany to Philadelphia, then died in the Flu Pandemic of 1918. I don't know if my mother's father (who I never knew) told her this, or if she just created this story because she didn't know anything, and then she came to believe it over the years.

What I learned later was that, although these great-grandparents had German heritage, they were both born in Philadelphia, and their parents had come over from regions that later became "Germany" in the mid-late 1800s. None of them died in the Flu Pandemic.

My mom inherited that kind of storytelling from her grandmother (see my earlier post). They paint a picture of history that they decide is better than history, so it "becomes" fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy