Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,590,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I am talking about present day Aboriginals. How much white are in them due to mixing within the last couple hundred of years?
Either all or none. You either identify as aboriginal or you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,290,347 times
In truth unless someone can cite a DNA study it's all speculation. DNA has shown many believed ideas to be incorrect (and some correct).

Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,746,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
That's what a I thought. I seems to me that the average American looks a lot closer to Africans than the average Aboriginal looking like the original Aboriginals two hundred years ago.

I'm thinking you meant the average black American looks more African than the present day Australian Aboriginals looking Aboriginal???

Confusing, but IMO most black Americans do not look "African" per se other than similar skin color. There are many black Americans who don't look African. Practically my whole family doesn't "look" African and FWIW there are a lot of different African looks so not sure how black Americans can actually "look" African. I would want to know which Africans we look like lol.

I had a couple great grandmother's who especially didn't "look" African. One had a great grandparent who was Welsh and on that line they married "mullattos" until my great grandmother broke the mold and married a darker skin person. She had blue eyes and dark brown hair and she looked like a white person. Her son, my grandfather was very light skinned with hazel eyes. My dad is very light as well, way lighter than any African I have ever met save someone who was a white person who was an African or a friend of mine from Cape Verde who was really mixed ethnically.

My mother's grandmother was also very light skinned. She had green eyes as did 3 of her 4 children (all except my grandmother/mom's mom). Everyone always thought she was of native American ancestry due to her looks. I have found she had some Irish ancestors and black ancestors and no native ancestry thus far.

So IMO as a black person in America who has lived in multiple metros in the US and who has known quite a few Africans from various countries, I do not think that most black Americans "look" African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy