Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for that info, historyfan! While I have now tracked down all seven of the children (and their spouses and offspring), I was missing a couple of middle names, so it's great to have them.

All I have is a worldwide sub to ancestry.com and whatever google throws up at me (plus the excellent resources provided by daliowa above, and familysearch of course). Is there a way I can see Matthias' 113 page file and/or other resources for US probate records? Are they held within a subscription site? I don't mind paying for short-term access to such a site if the price isn't over the top!

ETA Nellie Palmer was Helen Marie (she used that name in later records). Thinking Sadie might have been Sarah Jane. No evidence of a Sadie anywhere else!

Last edited by Kobber; 06-12-2016 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
The probate records are on Ancestry, wills and probate section, Michigan wills and probate. It appeared that at least some of the property had a mortgage on it at time of Mathias's death and then administrator mortgaged more and also sold personal property to pay estate debts including farm mortgage payment & also himself as administrator.
My interpretation was Harry was paid to do certain things on mortgaged farm and whatever profit after mortgage payments was split 7 ways. I did not find a will, so surmise Michigan law determined distribution. There were very nominal dollar amounts distributed to heirs, perhaps reason 2 sisters requested different administrator...or perhaps it was because the probate file was open for several years. You would need track real estate property ownership to see if farm properties were ever split between the heirs or sold outright.

For the ancestry search engine to find probate...I put only Palmer last name, location Tuscola county, Michigan to get Palmer probates. There are a couple of other Palmer probates you may wish you read through & see if any clues to relationship.

Land records might also be on Ancestry. Or check on
Search - BLM GLO Records

I saw some reference on Ancestry inquiry board to Bird relatives immigration to US...I do not know if other Palmer's immigrated also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy