Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Due to the Brexit (whatever that is), I hear the British Pound is dropping value so I am wondering if prices for Ancestry UK or any others will be less? Will this British thing affect the US prices you have to pay to get info out of Britain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
If you are asking about the ACOM World package, I don't see them lowering membership fees (even if they save money on getting the info they have their site). The British financial firm that owned Ancestry sold most of it earlier this year to Silver Lake and GIC private equity firms. As for buying info direct from the UK, now might be the time. The pound has dropped vs. the dollar, but I don't expect that to be a long term phenomenon.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Probably no change since Ancestry is a US (Utah) based company, and what you are paying for is access to their databases of UK information. You're not buying imported tea or scones.

However if you were to subscribe to a British based service, paying in Pounds via a credit card, you would pay less in Dollars due to the drop in the exchange rate.

BTW, Brexit is shorthand for BRitish EXIT from the EU.

FWIW, just tried to go to Ancestry's .UK website, and it detects that I'm in US and redirects me to it's US .com site. Interesting.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
The pound has dropped in value against other currencies - it doesn't mean prices within the UK will drop.

The Ancestry.co.uk pricing is £120 for all UK records access, for one year. That's currently $158 USD, which is less than the US site's subscription for World Explorer, but if you already have the US Discovery subscription on the US site in addition, that would $347, which is more than the World Explorer subscription from the US site, and it doesn't include all the other countries you would get from the World Explorer. So unless you wanted UK records and ONLY UK records (ie, you don't already have a US Discovery subscription on the US site), it does not make sense to subscribe to the UK site. Also note the UK site doesn't have any records that the US site doesn't. The records database is the same, they just have different subscription options for different countries.

That said, you can use the UK site without it redirecting to the US site. When you pull up the UK site, they usually ask if you want to remain on the UK site or go to the US one. If they don't give you the option and automatically redirect you to the US site, you just need to clear your browser's cookies. Then the option will appear - if you don't click on "stay on the UK site", then after a few seconds, it will redirect you to the US site and it will "remember" that setting until you clear your cookies.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If you are buying anything directly from the UK, now would be a good time to do it. So, if you were ordering a certificate and paying for it in $$$$ or if you were paying a researcher over there to find something for you.

I paid a researcher at a genealogical facility once to do two hours' research for me. If you wanted to do something like that right now, it would be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy